Start by marking “Legacy of Darkness (The Jago Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Darkness (The Jago Legacy, #1)

Legacy of Darkness (The Jago Legacy #1)

It is 1837 and the young Queen Victoria has just ascended the English throne.
Orphaned and penniless after her father’s death in India, Lucy Alleyne is forced to accept a post as companion to an elderly lady until a distant relative spirits her away to Castle Athal on the Cornish coast. But Lucy’s initial gratitude at Lady Demelza Jago’s benevolence soon gives way to uneas
Published February 10th 2015 (first published February 10th 215)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy of Darkness

Eh, it's alright.

Good start, then flatlined into a plateau o' predictability. It's not a very long book, but it still seemed to drag in the middle. The heroine is oblivious to blatant clues -- especially if you're familiar with genre tropes -- which makes for some excruciating scenes. And there didn't seem to be much chemistry between the leads, as if they only fell in love because said tropes dictated it.

Important safety tip: if you want your hero to compete directly with the villain in a clo
Sussann
I bought this book because it kept popping up on Gothic book lists and it had a reasonably high rating.

The best I can say about this book is 'meh'. If you have never read any other gothic literature or any other murder mystery, you might find this book outstandingly unique.

If, on the other hand, you have even the slightest understanding of gothic mysteries and are even remotely acquainted with any of the more common plot devices which are typical to the genre, you might find this book pretty un
Love Reading Romance
Legacy of Darkness was the first title I’ve read from the relatively new Harlequin Shivers line. Described by Harlequin as their new “gothic romance” line, I was both excited and nervous to read my first Shivers. As a dedicated fan of 19th Century gothic fiction, I was a little dubious about how this twist on the genre would be handled by the Shivers’ authors. Would they do homage to my old gothic friends? Or would they trample their memory?

Well the answer to these questions was clear to me mere
T.A. Moorman
Jun 11, 2014 T.A. Moorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review and more can be seen at http://gothicmoms.blogspot.com/

This is the first non-vampire novel that I have read in a very long time in which I can say I didn't even miss the fangs. A tale that is truly dark and sinister that any fan of Gothic Romance would be sure to love, and crave for more. Godman takes readers into a dark world in centuries past, where one families castle that has a history that may be as deadly as Count Vlad's, and even more sordid.

When Lucy is taken in by very dista
Fiona Marsden
Mar 06, 2014 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heroine Lucy Alleyne arrives at Tenebris an innocent young woman, alone in the world. Demelza Jago, a cousin of sorts, has brought her here as a companion to her. Here Lucy meets the magnetic Uther Jago, Demelza's brother, and their nephew Tynan, the Earl who will come into his inheritance in a few weeks time on his twenty-first birthday.

The Jago's have possessed Tenebris, and I say it advisedly, for hundreds of years and there is a long history of Jago's who have been less than stellar citi
Rosie Amber
Feb 25, 2014 Rosie Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Legacy of Darkness is a Gothic romance from the Harlequin range. It is full of dark secrets, dramatic scenes and has a stunning setting on the rugged Cornish coast. A young Queen Victoria has just taken the throne of England. Uther Jago and his sister Demelza live with their nephew Earl Tynan. They oversee the running of Castle Athal or Tenebris as it is known in the family until Tynan comes of age.

Lucy Alleyne has recently lost her father and has returned to England from India where her father
Michelle Saunders
I recently decided I wanted to read some books in the Gothic Romance genre. I happened upon this author and decided to start with this first book in the series. While I don't often select novellas, the description of this one caught my attention and I decided to give it a try. I had forgotten just how much I liked Gothic novels -- the mystery, the drama, the innocent heroine, the brooding hero, the dark setting. Often these books are a bit predictable and that's okay. It is what it is and as ...more
Angela Simmons
Mar 04, 2014 Angela Simmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, bought, ebook, gothic
After the traumatic death of her father, Lucia Alleyne was forced to become a companion to an elderly woman. When Demelza Jago, a distant relation on Lucia’s mother’s side, arrives and sweeps her off to the gothic gloomy castle called Tenebris, in Cornwall, Demelza’s brother Uther soon catches her eye.

Pulled into a sensual, and if I’m being honest kind of creepy relationship, with Uther, Lucy soon finds herself under the spell of this mysterious man. Although she soon discovers that there is mor
Jo Hughes
Jul 01, 2014 Jo Hughes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank author Jane Godman for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

We meet Lucy as she is travelling on her way to her new life at Castle Athal, having been given a generous opportunity by a distant cousin she can't seen to shake the feeling that something would go wrong and she would need to go back to her old life.

Once at the Castle she meets the mesmerising Uther, he instantly has Lucy under his spell but deep in her guy she knows that somethi
KC
Despite the predictable plot, I found myself as mesmerized by this book as Lucy was mesmerized by Uther. Much of that had to do with the author's evocative writing style. I was at times horrified, thrilled and always entertained. She pulled me in with the vivid characterization and sinister atmosphere. I also liked that the horror, mystery and romance aspects were all equally represented.

As far as the characters go, I liked Lucy but thought she was a little slow on the uptake in regards to fina
Lucy
Feb 16, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my goodness! This really was a gothic in the true tradition of the genre. Victoria Holt and Daphne du Maurier would be proud. Although they might blush a little at the erotic antics of Uther Jago :) I'd forgotten how much I love a good gothic. I am still reeling from the brooding atmosphere and the dark secrets in this story. And the epilogue! Can't wait for the sequel. Tell me there IS a sequel?
Stacy Mar
Jun 12, 2014 Stacy Mar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lover's of vintage gothic romance
Wow, what an amazing job Godman did with this one!

I will be doing a full review and an exclusive interview with Jane Godman on my blog later this month: http://gothicromancereviews.blogspot....

I invite you to visit for great reviews and interviews.

Can't wait to read the rest of this series!!
Lenore
Jan 08, 2014 Lenore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane's story is an historical Gothic Romance, with all the familiar elements of a hero, anti-hero and hints of madness in their family. Lucy is a strong heroine and manages to save the hero in an exciting finish. Be sure to read the epilogue - it is a typical happily-ever-after with a sinister twist that still haunts me. Well done!
Barbara
Jan 12, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Godman weaves a world with words transporting the reader to another time and place. And what a place! The perfect gothic setting and a plot filled with unexpectedly sinister twists and turns. I loved how Lucy grew from the beginning to the end taking us on the journey with her.
Amanda Schnellenberger
Wild ride

This book captured me. I couldn't put it down and finished it in a day. I don't want to give to much away, but I was not expecting the twists!
Marjorie
This was my first gothic novel. It was a bit predicable but I enjoyed the story. Freaky cousins, mad earl, family history with intrigue.
Hafiza
Sep 11, 2014 Hafiza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the new Harlequin Shivers ebooks.
All the Gothic tropes plus discreetly sexy scenes.
Cheesy but ok if you are in the mood for some very light Gothic nostalgia updated for the modern era.
Karla K
Karla K rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Tonya
Tonya rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2015
Amac
Amac rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Harley
Harley rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2015
Renee Jaspers
Renee Jaspers rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Tracey Moerschel
Tracey Moerschel rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Cerena
Cerena rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Nicky B
Nicky B rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Icedgemma
Icedgemma rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Mrs Christie
Mrs Christie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • House of Shadows: a Gothic Romance
  • Three Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto, Vathek, The Vampyre, and a Fragment of a Novel
  • The Haunting at Blackwood Hall
  • Stormcrow Castle
  • The Handmaid (Unexpected Circumstances, #1)
  • The Island
  • Dark Desires (Dark Gothic #1)
  • Sensual Danger (Venice Vampyr, #4)
  • Drake Restrained 4: Part 4 of the Drake Series
  • Prophecy (The Dragonfly Chronicles, #1)
  • Once Upon a Caveman
  • Bound by Wish and Mistletoe (Highland Legends #1.5)
  • Fiona
  • The Red Carnelian
  • Maulever Hall
  • Lucky Number Six (The Fortune Cookies Chronicles #1)
  • Time Was - A romantic comedy ..... with a kink
  • Fearless (Scarlet Suffragette, #1)
I write in a variety of genre. Many of my stories are heavily tinged with the supernatural and elements of horror, with haunted characters tormented by dark secrets.
The Jago Legacy Series, my gothic romances, are love stories with a dash of horror and a creepily ever after.
Set around the Isle of Man (my grandfather's birthplace), my dark erotic romantic suspense books, The Cunning Prophet Series
More about Jane Godman...

The Jago Legacy (3 books)
  • Echoes in the Darkness (The Jago Legacy, #2)
  • Darkness Unchained (The Jago Legacy, #3)