Start by marking “Wandering Son, Vol. 8” as Want to Read:
Wandering Son, Vol. 8

Wandering Son, Vol. 8 (Wandering Son #8)

Curiosity and transphobia collide in the latest volume of Fantagraphics’ critically acclaimed manga about a boy who wants to be a girl, and a girl who wants to be a boy. In Volume 8, Nitori-kun, a boy who wants to be a girl, explores kissing with girlfriend Anna-chan; and Yoshino-san, a girl who wants to be a boy, finds the courage to go to school wearing a boy’s uniform. ...more
Published June 7th 2015 by Fantagraphics

To ask other readers questions about Wandering Son, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wandering Son, Vol. 8

Maria Kramer
I like how this volume brings up the double standard - a girl wearing boy's clothes is considered "cool," while a boy wearing girl's clothes is a "pervert". Deep stuff for middle school students!
Jocilyn
Jul 03, 2015 Jocilyn rated it it was amazing
Volume 8 is basically the turning point in the series and I'm really happy to see we made it this far with the English editions. My favorite scene that utterly blew me away when I read it in Japanese comes at the end, resulting in a kind of cliffhanger. So I think in a way, Volume 8 is the most important book in the series. Obviously the disparities between reactions to Takatsuki and Nitori at school also demonstrate a serious social problem in Japanese culture.

I also really love Volume 8 as th
Emily
Jul 31, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this volume cuts off at that point!! The next chapter is the one that made me cry (a lot) the last time I read the series.

This volume is definitely a turning point for Nitori -- throughout the volume she struggles with the process of coming out, whether it's worth it, and so on. I have thoughts I haven't quite gotten together about Nitori's privilege in passing for a girl (everyone telling her that she's cute, so why not) and how it doesn't end up mattering. It's an important vol
C.M. Sturdy
Jan 20, 2016 C.M. Sturdy rated it it was amazing
This series is fantastic and important and considering the cliffhanger it left off on, I am not looking forward to the wait for the next volume.

I am trying to resist reading it online, but the flesh is squishy and weak.
David Schaafsma
Nov 01, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-glbt, manga-school
Not much seems to happen in this volume, volume eight, eighth grade, it’s subtle, but there’s some emotional growth. And you can see in this one how different it is for others when a girl who wants to be a boy, Takatsuki-san (Yoshino) wears “boy clothes” to school compared to when a boy, Nitori-kun, who wants to be a girl, wears “girl clothes” at school. Double standard! But it is also true that when Nitori-kun (Shuichi, or Shu, also called Nitorin) tells girlfriend/teen model Anna that he wants ...more
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, ya, lbgtq
I am always impressed by Takako Shimura's ability to express difficult thoughts and emotions through her art and writing, and this volume is no exception. As Shu grows more and more certain that he is happiest dressed as a girl (I'd call him a transvestite or gender fluid rather than transgender, but please feel free to disagree with me), his sister Maho becomes more and more aggressively cis-gender, and I suspect things will come to a head in volume 9. Shu's new relationship with Doi, the boy ...more
Krystle
Really think I should drop this series now.

It didn't take long to flip through this volume, and I feel like almost nothing happened here.

The one interesting aspect was the introduction of the Year 2 teachers, since I wanted to see how they would interact with Nitori and Takatsuki. We got glimpses of that (most notably with how the volume ended), but it wasn't enough to make up for the otherwise forgettable content.
andrew
Jan 20, 2015 andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
much like what happened with bunny drop
I'm going to blow through this entire series in a few more days
and want to stop, but unable to
and be totally unsatisfied with the ending

oh also volume 8 is not as good as seven which was not as good as six.
Holly Letson
This was one of my favorite volumes so far. It's wonderful to see the characters becoming more comfortable with their sexualities and more straightforward about such. I enjoyed seeing Nitori go to school in girl's clothing.
rabbit-heart
Jul 12, 2015 rabbit-heart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is a quiet manga, maybe it doesn't seem like a lot happens, but there's a lot of emotional growth and character development. I love it so much.
Meaghan Steeves
Sep 01, 2015 Meaghan Steeves rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars. This is getting really good! Nitori-kun is getting to be so bold and brave, I love her as a character. Things are just looking more optimistic.
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Jet
Jet rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Aaron Burr
Aaron Burr rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Rod Brown
Rod Brown rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Simbelus
Simbelus rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Laney
Laney rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Eden Grey
Jul 02, 2015 Eden Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This manga continues to be amazing.
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Jon Coleman
Jon Coleman rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Cole Jack
Cole Jack rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
Mayra Garced
Mayra Garced rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Eleanore M.
Eleanore M. rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Maya
Maya rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 乙嫁語り 7 (Otoyomegatari, #7)
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 2
  • Going Going
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • Affection
  • My Love Story!!, Vol. 2
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 07 (Yotsuba&! #7)
  • Welcome To Orphancorp
  • ホリミヤ 8 (Horimiya, #8)
  • Terre de rêves
  • Hear Me Roar
  • 夏目友人帳 18
  • Mushishi, Vol. 8/9/10
  • Anything That Loves
  • Black Jack, Vol. 14
  • Aria, Volume 4 (Aria, #4)
Takako Shimura is a manga artist primarily known for her manga works published in Japan which feature LGBT (especially about lesbian and transgender) topics. Originally from Kanagawa, she now resides in Tokyo.