Start by marking “Inheritance (Dominion #1)” as Want to Read:
Inheritance (Dominion #1)

Inheritance (Dominion #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Seiran Rou's life is complicated—he's the only male in the world allowed to take magic classes in a female-dominant society, his vampire boyfriend, Gabe, is hinting that he wants more, and his mother is demanding a grandchild. But when a co-worker turns up dead on his doorstep, Seiran realizes his problems are only beginning.

With the police dogging his steps, a stalker-lik
ebook
Published March 3rd 2015 by Smashwords Edition (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inheritance

MandyM
Seiran (pronounced Say-ron - make sure you get it right!) is a really appealing character and his personality, flaws, dramas and love life kept me glued to the pages of this excellent m/m paranormal romance. He's a young male witch in a society where it's only acceptable for female witches to have power. He's known nothing but bullying and ridicule from his cold mother and his peers, so he's learned to hide his own powers, trust no-one and keep his heart locked away. The only person he allows so ...more
julio
Fucking hell!

Way fun, with a really compelling backstory and some terrific AU embroidery.

Sei being busted eavesdropping in the air duct had me cackling like a drunk.

I wish I had a Jamie.

Also, that I could be Sei?

Cuz if it were me going crazytown in the woods, compelling Jamie to endure three hours of agony on my account, I should certainly hope I'd be able to express my gratitude a hair more enthusiastically than with a couple recipes, DNA or no DNA.

...is what I'm saying.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This book and this series is definitely a favorite of mine now! It's a fun read that's sexy with just enough suspense to have you hoping for everything to turn out alright.

I fell in love with Seiran from the start. He's such a broken man who's been tortured by just about everyone because of being born a male witch. School is rough for him because he gets teased and picked on and everything is made harder for him because he looks effeminate. He's sexy and knows how to work his charms and has a te
MsMiz (Tina)
I have 2 new loves and their names are Sei and Gabe...oh what the heck, how could you not love Jamie as well. I love imperfect MCs that do not even pretend to try to be perfect. Sei is messed up but man you just gotta love him.

If you love witches, vamps, weres and everything in between, including full on bitch moms, this is a great book for you.
Vivian
Peace and quiet is underrated.

Took a minute to get use to the first person point of view, not bad, but unexpected. It worked well at keeping the focus narrow and the action contained to Seiran. The reversed power structure with females dominating in the witch world made for a quick twist. Also allowed for more violence since males are physically hardier than females; the repression could be both psychological and physical.

Gabe is a big, softy vampire, He is also Seiran's boss at the local vamp
SueM
Wow! Lissa Kasey has written an excellent M/M romance/urban fantasy novel.

Seiran is the lone male witch at a college of magicals studies. It soon becomes clear that he is damaged, flawed and seemingly incapable of trusting anyone - life has obviously not been easy for him. Gabe, a vampire, is both his boss at the bar where Seiran works part-time, and his sex partner... The latter being dictated by Seiran, his inability to trust means he's unwilling to have a relationship with anyone. As the stor
Ami
3.85 stars (rounded up to 4 stars)

With an average of 4.1 star rating (at the moment I write this) and so many glowing reviews from my GR friends, I thought it was time to give this a try. Just to see what I might have been missing.

There are already SO MANY reviews on this one; I don't know if I can add anything new. So I try to keep this short (emphasis on the try). At first, I felt like I was jumped into a middle of a story. Who was Gabe again? How did he and Seiran met? And Jamie? Uhm, what wa
Emma Sea
All the elements here should have added up to a really good story, but somehow the spark was missing. Maybe I needed more angst: Gabe was too perfect, too accepting, and although other characters discuss what a slut Seiran is (view spoiler) So, absolutely nothing wrong with this book, it just didn't float my ...more
Td
Sei's got me wrapped around his little finger, too. On to Reclamation NOW!!!

Um, what? Review? Nah, MandyM and Nikyta got it perfectly. :D
Chris
4.5 stars. Very good m/m paranormal romance in which someone is trying to make it appear that Sei is murdering other witches. Fortunately, his vampire boyfriend, Gabe, and the mysterious Jamie have Sei's back. I'm really enjoying this series - the next book is already queued up on my ereader.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Update 7/14: reread and still loved it though still squicked by age difference

Original review:

I love this series. I know why other people don't--there is an excessive amount of angst and the main character does insane things that would drive any lover crazy, but it's all stuff I love in books.

Pros:

Seiran is adorable and when he's hurting, I want to hold him and make it all better.

Seiran is very tiny but he's strong.

Seiran suffers horrible abuse throughout his life and at college and he's still
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
This story was really good, I liked it very much and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Usually I don't care much for magic and witches and stuff like that in my paranormal stories (I'm all for shifters and nothing much else *lol*) but here I didn't mind and enjoyed very much the paranormal world the author created. Facts and details of this universe aren't dumped on the reader but given in bits and pieces during a conversation or an inner monologue which I prefer. It can be fun when you're just ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Sep 10, 2012 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Shelves: mm, paranormal, vampire, ebook
This series has me hooked. Seiran is such a damaged soul. He has so many issues, and it is sad to see the reasons behind each one. Gabe is wonderful and just perfect for Sei. I love them together, the way thay communicate and dance around each other. I found myself cheering each of them on at different points of this story.

There is mystery, suspense and a bit of action, in addition to some really cute and sweet moments, as well as some really hot sex. I can't wait to see where this series goes,
Kathleen
I had originally put reading this off because the blurb did not catch my attn. Boy was that a mistake. I LOVED this book. The world Lissa built was rich and deep. I fell in love with Gabe and Sei from the start what with Gabe's steadfast loyalty and love and Sei's wonderfully damaged vulnerability. They had great chemistry together and I can't wait to read more from this universe. 5 stars!
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I don't know whether it's because I haven't really been in the mood for reading or reviewing (which is why I took 6 days despite it being relatively short) or if it's just because it wasn't really up my alley, but I was pretty disappointed in this.

It had such an interesting premise and solidly consistent ratings from friends and those I follow, yet it fell short for me. The plot line was pretty so and so, with me guessing the perpetrator quite early on. The characters as well were pretty urgh.
Snowtulip
Yes, I have joined the bandwagon :) Great story!

This is one of those stories that had me emotionally connected and rooting for Sei and Gabe. The strength and vulnerability that they played off each other made them so dynamic and relatable. There were snapshots throughout the story that cemented their feelings for each other without being overt and I appreciated that. Absolutely loved Jamie!

More strength in the world building and politics would have made this a stronger all around read, but I sti
Susan
Having read 3 free stories involving these characters, I was really looking forward to this book, and it didn't disappoint. Seiran is a male witch and he is somewhat of a flawed hero. His upbringing and his experiences at college have left him with a lack of self-confidence. Luckily, he has his sexy vampire, Gabe, to love him and to try and protect him against everyone who is out to get him.
Elizabetta

Seiran’s life has been difficult so far, no doubt about it. He is a gay pretty-boy, picked on, shunned, with few friends and no family life. His mother, a powerful head witch with the Dominion, despises him. Because he’s a boy… It seems that the fem witches carry the power in this world and he messed up at birth.

But did he? Someone is interested in him. Suddenly there are guys, guys, guys, everywhere, all wanting something from Seiran: Brock is eye-balling him; Jamie seems to be stalkin
Charles
I'll update this later, but for now I'm writing based on a memory of the version before edits. I rushed out to buy the released version from Dreamspinner's site on day one, but I haven't had time to read it yet.

When I first found Inheritance upon joining a critique group, I emailed Lissa and asked (a) may I please, pleeeease be your critique partner on this, and (b) where can I find all your other stuff so I can buy it today???

(view spoiler)
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5
Wow, I was totally pulled into the world Ms Kasey created!
I want to know more about Sei, more of why he is the way he is, and of course more about Gabe and Jamie.
But, I do have to say, Sei is far more understanding than I would have been about all the things being kept from him!
I'll be waiting for the sequel coming out in November!
Dee Wy
4.5 stars rounded to 5.

I feel like I've just met a new favorite paranormal family headed by Sei, a Lynx shifter and male witch and Gabe a Vampire. I loved the whole cast of characters, especially Sei who seems to draw trouble to him wherever he goes. Sei and Gabe are great together and I look forward to more of their adventures.
Kim Alan
I just thoroughly loved every bit of this book. Loved. I easily found myself completely invested in the characters and was quite unwilling to put it down. My kids watched a lot of television yesterday, and they will again today while I read Reclamation. I'll be sure to thank Lissa Kasey while accepting my Mother-of-the-Year award.
Don Bradshaw
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

This book is the first in what I am hoping will be a great series. Ms Kasey gave me everything that I could ask for when I sit down to read a fantasy story from vampires to witches to shape shifters. The Dominion is a society of witches dominated almost entirely by women. Seiran is a young male witch with powerful earth magic born into a prominent Dominion family. He has suffered a life of torment and abuse at the hands of a heartles
L-D
I picked this book as a buddy read this month because Lissa Kasey had some free downloads available as short prologues to this book. I read the downloads and was immediately interested in learning more about Seiran Rou, a powerful earth witch, and Gabriel Santini, his gorgeous vampire lover.

Seiran Rou is the male son of a powerful Dominion witch. In a society where female witches rule the Dominion (the ruling body of elemental magic) and male witches are shunned, Seiran is the first male witch t
Bookwatcher
3,5 star

I like this series up to now. My first advice is READ ALSO THE FREEBIES
Friction (Dominion, #0.1) by Lissa Kasey #0,1 Decadence (Dominion, #0.2) by Lissa Kasey #0,2 Resolute (Dominion, #0.3) by Lissa Kasey #0,3
because Inheritance may be considered #1 BUT the freebies are necessary to understand the plot.

The main characters are adorable, and Seiran OCD for cleaning was so well explored I almost quick reading to to clean my house too... almost... didn't happen, I had books to read
I really love him, and also Gabe... what a couple! Do you want to read about two man in love, but without cheesy romance? No c
Shelby
Fantastic new paranormal/urban fantasy series for me to enjoy! I’m so happy I read this book especially since there are a number of other books out in the series. It was a great fast little read that sucked me in almost immediately.

Seiran Rou is the only acknowledged male witch in the female-dominated Dominion society he’s grown up in. Forced to study magic at the university despite his own preferences for his culinary ambitions Seiran’s insecurities, paranoia, and OCD have only gotten worse. Wh
Paul
Great read in this genre, I personally loved it.
Heather C
4.5 Stars
I'm really loving this series and it's probably the best m/m paranormal romance I've read in a while. It had a lot going on throughout the story, which was kinda on the short side for a PnR. I have a lot of questions that I hope to see answered in the next book.

Still, engaging storyline, likable characters, hot fucking and a very sweet ending.

(Don't skip out on reading the free shorts leading up to this book!)
Becky Condit
Lissa Kasey is a fabulous world builder, a talent that is obvious in this book. Dominion is a world inhabited by vampires, lycanthropes, humans, and witches. It is mainly the witches, or one in particular, that is the focus of Inheritance, although one of the vampires plays a lead role, also.
Sieran Rou is a male witch in a matriarchal witch society, and is the only male witch in his courses at a university that teaches magic. We learn that there are many kinds of witches and Sieran is an earth w
M
This is one of those books where I feel like I should have lots of issues with it, but I actually really enjoyed it. I don't really understand why everyone loves main character, Seiran, so much though. He reads a bit like a magical, slutty Jory in that respect. But otherwise, it was fast-paced and compelling. Looking forward to the rest of the series. Maybe Seijory will grow on me.
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Infected: Bloodlines (Infected, #2)
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1)
  • Hemovore
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Lone
  • Skin Deep (Fae, #1)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Adam & Peter, #2)
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Sunset (Pact Arcanum, #1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Irregulars
Lissa Kasey lives in St. Paul, MN, has a Bachelor’s Degree in Creative Writing, and collects Asian Ball Joint Dolls who look like her characters. She has three cats who enjoy waking her up an hour before her alarm every morning and sitting on her lap to help her write. She can often be found at Anime Conventions masquerading as random characters when she's not writing about boy romance.
More about Lissa Kasey...

Dominion (4 books)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Conviction (Dominion, #3)
  • Ascendance (Dominion, #4)
Reclamation (Dominion, #2) Friction (Dominion, #0.1) Decadence (Dominion, #0.2) Resolute (Dominion, #0.3) Sink or Swim