Start by marking “The Labyrinth Makers” as Want to Read:
The Labyrinth Makers

The Labyrinth Makers (Dr David Audley & Colonel Jack Butler #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  12 reviews
David Audley is an unlikely spy. True, he works for England's Ministry of Defense, but strictly as a back-room man, doing meticulous research on the Middle East. This new assignment, then, comes as something of a surprise: A WWII-era British cargo place has been discovered at the bottom of a drained lake, complete with the dead pilot and not much else. Why are the Soviets ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Felony & Mayhem (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Labyrinth Makers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Labyrinth Makers

Susan
This book, the first in the series, is set 25 years after WWII. David Audley is a desk man in British intelligence, who is suddenly asked to go into the field. During the war, a pilot was smuggling from war torn Berlin to Britain. He intended to do one last haul, of something so valuable that Russia have been searching for it ever since. His plane crashed on the way home and the pilot,the plane and the secret hoarde disappeared with him. Now, the plane has suddenly been unearthed, and the story ...more
Margaret
Reasonably interesting (especially once I found out what the treasure was), but not enough to get me to read the others in the series. Also, I really only have to hear once how flat-chested the hero's love interest is, please, Mr. Price.
Ville Halonen
A ham-fisted first novel severely lacking in structure and hampered by a silly romantic side plot that is almost too prominent to be left only in secondary role.

On the plus side, the character of David Audley showed some promise, in that his approaches to interviewing people were quite varied and uncontrolled. He often does what he didn't want to do, and while it doesn't affect the book significantly—which is a fault—it does add to his character, and to the overall feeling of humanity and fragil
Derek
This is a very well-written espionage novel set during the Cold War. It has links to archaeology and WW2, but the majority of the action, such as it is, is set in the late 1960's, I would guess.

It's the first in a long-running series that I've had recommended to me several times, so I decided to finally give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the characterization and the quality of the writing. While there is very little action per se (ie. car chases or explosions) there is a lot of subter
Tom Lloyd
Highly enjoyable - a nice quiet tone Cold War novel reminiscent in parts of le Carre. It's older than me however so there are a few old fashioned attitudes, esp regarding women, that jar, while the ending rushed up on me somewhat however much I was looking forward to it. As a first novel it was very good however and certainly enough to make me want to read on - an interesting premise and well worked through which is crucial for a cold war novel.
Michele
Meh. At only 200+ pages, there wasn't enough plot or character development enough to really love this novel. I felt that, given more time, it could have been developed into a great story, but just fizzled out and too many plot holes were conveniently filled up in the last twenty pages. I liked it enough to read the next in the series, but if this trend continues that will be the end of it for me.
Yuksel
Great book... I enjoyed it very much. This is the first Anthony Price book that I have read. I am looking forward to reading his other books soon.
Elizabeth
This story brings back the days of the Cold War 25 years after end of WWII. The main protagonist is Dr Audley who is an expert on the Middle East but who is called to use his admirable sleuthing capabilities in a case of a fighter pilot believed lost at sea who. Is actually found in a drained lake. This is an excellent tale.
Mark
Not sure the human relationships were all that realistic but the spycraft seemed quite good.
Castiron
A twisty and intellectual story with an interesting protagonist.
Steven Bass
Not bad. Read it based on Jo Walton's review
Baska
Baska marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Edwin
Edwin added it
Nov 30, 2014
Nooilforpacifists
Nooilforpacifists marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Todd Race
Todd Race marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Chris Stanley
Chris Stanley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
LadyTechie
LadyTechie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born in Hertfordshire in 1928, Price was educated at King's School, Canterbury, and Oxford. His long career in journalism culminated in the Editorship of the Oxford Times. His literary thrillers earned comparisons to the best of Graham Greene, Ernest Hemingway, and Robert Goddard.
More about Anthony Price...
Other Paths to Glory Colonel Butler's Wolf The Alamut Ambush Tomorrow's Ghost The '44 Vintage