Start by marking “This Jazz Man” as Want to Read:
This Jazz Man

This Jazz Man

In this toe-tapping jazz tribute, the traditional "This Old Man" gets a swinging makeover, and some of the era's best musicians take center stage. The tuneful text and vibrant illustrations bop, slide, and shimmy across the page as Satchmo plays one, Bojangles plays two . . . right on down the line to Charles Mingus, who plays nine, plucking strings that sound "divine."

Published November 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about This Jazz Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Jazz Man

Becky
Feb 09, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
Karen Ehrhardt's This Jazz Man is a fun picture book that adapts the classic song "This Old Man." This is the kind of premise that could go either way--be really, really good and clever, or be really, really bad. In my opinion, This Jazz Man is successful in its attempt to make this song swing. Like all jazz books should, it starts with Louis Armstrong.

This jazz man, he plays one,
He plays rhythm with his thumb,
With a snap! snap! snazzy-snap!
Give the man a hand,
This jazz man scats with the band.

O
Jim
May 18, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Shelves: picture-books
This is the perfect book for any child, jazz lover or not. In fact, it is really two books in one. The first is a jazzy recasting of that familiar childhood tune "This Old Man" with the eponymous geezer replaced by the great men of Jazz: Armstrong scats, Bojangles taps, and Mingus is among us. Kids will love Ehrhardt's textual rendering of musical sounds that stand in for the non-sensical "knick knack paddywhack," and be mesmerized by Roth's perfectly paired illustrations (which feature a fun g ...more
Kathi
Jul 25, 2008 Kathi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
As the mother of two jazz bassists, this book just made me smile. I gave copies to both of my grown sons, proof that a picture book is not just for kids. The jazzy text is a perfect match with the jazzy art.
Eric
Aug 27, 2007 Eric rated it really liked it
a really fun book to read with children. written to the rhythm of 'this old man', it's verses pay tribute to some of the greatest jazz musicians, including louie armstrong, charlie parker, etc. at the end of the story there are short bios on each musician -- great for kids that want to know these guys a little better.
Maria
May 18, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
Oooh, this book made me what to rap and tap and beedle-di-bop! Which is quite somethin', since I don't have a musical bone in my body!
This is a great book-the text jives off the page and the illustrations thimp dumple thump right along. What a great way to teach kids about jazz legends!
Hats off to Ehrdhardt and Roth for a beautiful book!
Encore!
Ruth
Jun 02, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids and the kid in everyone
Recommended to Ruth by: Nadia
Boy, if I were good at writing jazz charts for a band, I'd want to see to it that these "alternate words" to the children's song 'This Old Man' were accompanied by a kicking jazz combo! What fun! It makes you want to run out and teach these new words to everyone you know. And the pictures are darling.
Lynn
May 18, 2008 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
My preschool kids love this book. It's catchy, jazzy and fun! A great read-aloud.
Laurie
Apr 28, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
Jocelyn Brame
May 19, 2017 Jocelyn Brame rated it really liked it
An excellent counting book featuring some of the greatest jazz musicians. Engaging illustrations and great scatting. There's also a mouse children can find on every page. Wonderful historical notes in the back about each musician. Highly recommended for children ages 3-6.
Morgan
Nov 02, 2016 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This could be great for math since it counts the different members of the band and integration of music will be included throughout the lesson as well.
Becky
Jan 20, 2017 Becky rated it really liked it
Everything about this book is great. The illustrations, the story, the rhythm, the scat... all of it. Also provides just enough non-fiction info after the story.
Gloria Green
Jan 09, 2017 Gloria Green rated it really liked it
An engaging story in rhyme highlighting the Golden Age of Jazz and Be-bop.......
Shari
Mar 23, 2017 Shari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A must be sung telling of the musicians in a jazz band.
Virginia
Feb 24, 2017 Virginia rated it it was amazing
So clever and the art is wonderful!!! I can't wait to read this to my kindergarteners! As I was reading it, I was imagining my kindergarteners pretending to play instruments during storytime. When I got to the end and realized that each jazz man was a real musician, it made the book twice as nice! A huge round of applause for THIS JAZZ MAN! Encore! Encore!
Ms. Jeane
Feb 23, 2017 Ms. Jeane rated it really liked it
Fun book! Especially to read during Black History month!
Lori Gravley
Sep 21, 2016 Lori Gravley rated it really liked it
A sweet book based on "This Old Man." It includes bios of some famous Jazz men in the backmatter.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Of all the picture books that I read for the African-American History Month/Jazz-themed storytime, This Jazz Man went over by FAR the best, probably because it was the most fun and least serious of the bunch. Set to the tune of "This Old Man" (which I sang real quick in case some of the kids didn't know it), it adds various instruments with each page. For example, when this jazz man plays 1, he snaps his fingers. When this jazz man plays 2, he taps his toes. When this jazz man plays 4, he conduc ...more
CH13_Lisa Matthews
Feb 23, 2013 CH13_Lisa Matthews rated it it was amazing
This Jazz Man is picture book that introduces jazz music and nine jazz legend musicians. After reading the first page, you can’t help but to start singing the remainder of the book to the familiar rhyme of “This Old Man”. From one to nine, each number represents a famous jazz musician and can be sung something like this: This Jazz man, he plays one; He plays rhythm with his thumb, with snap! snap! snazzy-snap! Give the man a hand, This jazz man scats with the band. The end of the book provides a ...more
Amy Forrester
Jul 25, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Set to the classis children’s song, This Old Man, this book features 9 iconic and legendary jazz musicians. From Louis Armstrong to Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie to Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, the jazz men in this book tap, scat, and jam their way across the pages in a musical and rhythmic celebration of their lives and music:

“These jazz men, they play ten,
We beg them to play again,
With an ‘Encore! We want more!’
Give them all a hand,
These jazz men make one great band!”

Ehrhardt’s text is rhythmi
Christina Taylor
Aug 03, 2012 Christina Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
While it’s evident that most big band and jazz musicians can count 1-2-3-4, Ehrhardt’s all-stars work their way all the way up to 10. Set to the rhythm of This Old Man, each musician plays his number in his signature style, inserting raucous onomatopoeia into the verse where the “knick-knack, paddy whack” usually goes. Roth’s illustrations, executed in mixed media collages, use swatches of fabric and wallpaper cut into clothes, india ink brushwork, sponge-applied pigments and jazz-related epheme ...more
Kate Merriman
Mar 13, 2012 Kate Merriman rated it really liked it
I don't think you'll be able to read this book. Seriously.

Because within just one page, you'll be singing this book.

Very catchy, clever, and such gorgeous and original illustrations tour us through nine greats of the jazz world. For older readers, there are full profiles of each musician in the back of the book.

I especially appreciate having a book to read with my niece, who is from Ethiopia, that shares stories with "brown people" in them without bludgeoning us over the head about slavery or
Brittiny
May 06, 2015 Brittiny rated it liked it
This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt. This is a non-fiction book because in the back of the book it has facts about the different musicians that are talked about in the book. The book gave a quick lesson of counting and the different instruments in a jazz band. I think it was written in a good way because the way it was written, up beat, colorful, and in rhythm helps the reader feel that they are also enjoying a jazz band. The illustrations were fun to look at because there was lots of contrast in th ...more
Katie Voss
Feb 25, 2016 Katie Voss rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book! The illustrations/art are phenomenal--I adore the piecing together of different elements and writing "scat" within the illustrations; these facets of the artwork really emphasize the beautiful brokenness of jazz. The lyrics/text rhyme on each page, describing a different musician and his instrument, and of course at the end of the book you discover that each illustration is of a real-life jazz musician. I 'read' this to my kindergartners and they ...more
Kelli Bratten
Sep 24, 2012 Kelli Bratten rated it really liked it
Such a fun book! Each page goes to the tune of "this old man" so I would definitely love to sing it to my students and eventually have them sing with me! On each page there is a new counting number from 1-10. I would have them do a counting rhythm game where I read and as I said a number they counted that many beats with their hands on the floor as they sit in a circle. There are some variations that could be made for this game to incorporate other math topics or cooperation skills. Since it has ...more
Erin Buhr
Oct 23, 2013 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
"This Jazz Man" is a spirited tribute to the traditional song "This Old Man". With "bop-bop! Beee-aaaaw"s and "doodly-doodly-doot-doot"s Karen Ehrhardt energetically captures the essence of jazz music in this delightful story. She covers nine great jazz greats from Charlie "Bird" Parker to Art "Bu" Blakey in an accessible, sing-along, counting style perfect for young readers. As a bonus, the book comes with a CD read and sung by James "D Train" Williams full of jazz tones and a bonus informative ...more
Beth
This is by far far one of my favorite picture books ever. When you pair this story (a jivin' retelling of "This Old Man" with a jazzy makeover) with the audio CD, your toes will be a tappin' and your feet will be a movin' and all you'll be asking yourself is how long will it take to download some Louis Armstong or Charlie Parker on your iPod.

Play this audio CD to a class full of kids when you need to wake them up and get them moving.
Teresa
May 21, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
Overall, I think this book is fabulous...most of the rhymes are wonderful and I loved the little blurbs on each of the jazz greats featured within this take on kids' song, "This Old Man." My only quibble is that, as with most numbers-themed books, it is serious hard to rhyme "seven," with "heaven" being one of the few words that works, and therefore is heavily over-used so that whenever I read it, it just sounds trite and clichéd. I still loved it though.
Pam
Jul 04, 2012 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
What an absolutely delightful book! It is so much fun that I recommend it to anyone who loves picture books including adults like myself! The text by Karn Ehrhardt is great as well as the illustrations by R. G. Roth! The fact that it is about music, which is an infrequent subject of picture books, makes it all the better. I loved the short biographies on the jazz men in the back of the book. Great!
Allie
Dec 13, 2015 Allie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I would read this book out loud because of the music it creates with words and illustrations. this book incorporates jazz culture into the story by the words and pictures. At the end of the book , there are descriptions of the historical figures that were included in the book. This book is educational as it educates students on the heroes of jazz. There is rhyme, onomonapeia, alliteration, etc. This book would be appropriate for ages 5-12
Cassandra
Jan 31, 2015 Cassandra rated it really liked it
Great for Black History Month storytime. I recommend this to parents and teachers who want to introduce black history concepts to wee little ones who have not yet learned the historical context of civil rights- we can appreciate great music at every age! Not often do you find such a colorful and rhythmic picture book with nonfiction roots. I also recommend Rap a Tap Tap by Leo and Diane Dillon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jazz On A Saturday Night (Coretta Scott King Honor Book)
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • The Deaf Musicians
  • Django
  • Trombone Shorty
  • Ben's Trumpet
Karen Ehrhardt doesn’t play an instrument and can’t sing a lick. But she’s probably listening to music right now at her home in the California redwoods, with her husband, their bouncing baby boy, and their dog.

Karen does assemblies for Preschool, and Kindergarten through 6th grade. Karen does writing workshops with students in grades 3-6. Karen is available to travel to schools throughout Californ
More about Karen Ehrhardt...