Start by marking “Sleeping it Off in Rapid City” as Want to Read:
Sleeping it Off in Rapid City

Sleeping it Off in Rapid City

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The first broad retrospective of August Kleinzahler’s career, Sleeping It Off in Rapid City gathers poems from his major works along with a rich portion of new poems that visit different voice registers, experiment with form and length, and confirm Kleinzahler as among the most inventive and brilliant poets of our time. Travel—actual and imaginary—remains a passion and ins ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping it Off in Rapid City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping it Off in Rapid City

Tim Lepczyk
Aug 05, 2011 Tim Lepczyk rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some of these poems were tough, muscular, edgy pieces of prose that define images and ideas concretely. For me, those were the more enjoyable poems. They had a sense of realism and compactness and stayed with you.

The other poems were a little more sprawling and rambling. Ideas were bound up in language that floated somewhere beyond the reader. After reading some of these poems I was left with a thought of so what? What can I take away from this?

Part of this might stem from the fact that this is
Braden Bernards
Jul 31, 2015 Braden Bernards rated it it was amazing
A total delight.
Dan Butterfass
Nov 26, 2008 Dan Butterfass rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Kleinzahler is that rare breed of poet whose blend of craft and "fire" is seamless. His poems combust with the heat and irrational inner glow of their original conception, while threading the eye of the needle of technique and craft. His work is all fire and ice. This work is incantatory, erudite, clear and complex at the same time. He's a language star whose loose, five-martinis later flair for the language amplifies and rarifies rather than obscuficates (e.g. Ashberry) or diminishes (e.g. Jame ...more
Ms.
Apr 24, 2008 Ms. marked it as to-read
Ultimately Mr. Kleinzahler boiled his case against Mr. Keillor down to these three-and-a-half sentences: “Multivitamins are good for you. Exercise, fresh air, and sex are good for you. Fruit and vegetables are good for you. Poetry is not.”

It makes a certain kind of sense, then, that Mr. Kleinzahler’s career-spanning new book of poems, “Sleeping It Off in Rapid City,” features on its cover a nighttime photograph of a White Castle hamburger franchise. Like White Castle’s pint-size hamburgers, Mr.
Mark
Aug 11, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

August Kleinzahler has great descriptive power as a poet. I can't say these collected poems left me with wondrous insights, but they did create a sense of beauty, often tinged with sadness, that was remarkably vivid.

If there is a theme to these poems, it is one of travel and displacement, occasionally anchored by his return trips to his New Jersey roots. He is at his best when he speaks economically, as in "Storm Over Hackensack."

This angry bruise about to burst
on City Hall
will spend itself fast
J.M. Hushour
Mar 14, 2015 J.M. Hushour rated it it was ok
My review is no reflection on the poet's abilities, but rather an expression of my own personal tastes. Kleinzahler is a fine poet, a kind of natural heir to poets like Ferlinghetti and his ilk, combing poetic realism with contemporary cultural nuances to shape his output. So if you are a fan of that strand of modern American poetry, you will enjoy this collection. I found it a bit too literal, a bit too referential, and less abstract than I wanted.
Susana Case
Jan 27, 2013 Susana Case rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a wackiness to Kleinzahler's poetry, especially when writing about odd little parts of America in his long poems—and even when writing about more conventional parts of America in the shorter poems:

"I have loved the air outside Shop-Rite liquor
on summer evenings
better than the Marin hills at dusk." (p.88, "Poetics")

Always, though, the possibility of decay lurks over his shoulder. "What is more touching / than a used-book store on Saturday night," he asks in "San Francisco/New York."

A retr

Meat
Before Dawn on Bluff Road
Joje
Jun 20, 2010 Joje rated it really liked it
This has replaced the now run-out subscription to the Int'l Herald Trib for breakfast reading, and no loss when you think about it. Taking poetry in bits is healthy and wise, and these are as contemporary as today's news. Maybe I'll go back to Heaney when finished with this, if I ever am. Or Yeats again, or...? Poetry in the morning, a Decameron tale or 2 in the evening, work of various sorts between, not a bad life, after all.
Joseph Lerner
Nov 18, 2009 Joseph Lerner rated it it was amazing
August Kleinzahler has been writing poetry for a long time, and he keeps getting better. This volume is a retrospective of sorts, but includes much new work as well. How to describe Kleinzahler? He has his roots in Beat poetry, but he's gone far beyond such influences. His writing always feels fresh, original, inventive, and unexpected, thoroughly American in sensibility but international in scope. Highly recommended.
Ben G
Feb 07, 2015 Ben G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is a collection, but it's not clear if its chronological, thematic or poetic in structure. Lots of concepts-as-protagonists and sudden shifts to colloquial language. Some excellent, pastoral work that leaves me cold ("Gray Light in May", "Late Autumn Afternoons").

Too many of the poems feel like Kleinzahler trying on clothes. Always tough to reinvent yourself over a long career.
Darren
Aug 22, 2008 Darren rated it liked it
Heavy. Some were funny - some were great. I would like to have had a machete to get through many. I especially liked sections II III and V. Toys was good in IV. I liked Traveler's Tails: Chapter 13. The beginning seemed to imply great questions about modernity, ease...The moderator's question "what is the function of art in society?" - I guess...diversify our "Social democracy".
Deb
Jan 13, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry cannot be read linearly. Sometimes, you start out that way, only to discover that it is more fun--and more representative of the poet's work--to jump around. I did that here, and earned a wonderful introduction to the work of a man who pulls no punches, and yet has a surprisingly delicate lyricism to his work. I will read this again. Recommended.
Michael
May 01, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Damn - this guy is good. Any poet that puts a White Castle photo on his cover is worth reading! Tough poems, a little bit of asphalt and some dogwood blossoms, dying friends and lovers - all types. But more than what they are about, his language is excellent and interesting.
Phillip
Apr 21, 2014 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
great poetry by a super talented writer who falls in the tradition of critic/poet. several faves in this edition. i can't write about poetry any better than i can write about music - but find it most enjoyable to keep coming back to some of these poems.
National Book Critics Circle
See NBCC Board Member Kevin Prufer's review at Critical Mass, as part of 30 Books in 30 Days:
Matthew
Sep 11, 2009 Matthew rated it it was amazing
beautiful poems, not all flowery.
precise, realistic, and concise descriptions of places, atmospheres, faces, bodies, experiences.
(least poetic description/review ever.)
Robert Paglia
Aug 18, 2011 Robert Paglia rated it liked it
Shelves:
Has a tremendous command of language. Can be needlessly crude at times, but I enjoy his blend of sophisticated vocabulary and musicality with down to earth subject matter.
Ian
May 06, 2008 Ian rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I'll probably finish this book at some point. But right now I'm not patient enough to wade through his clever, detached irony to find the one good poem in 10.
!Tæmbuŝu
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2010
Fantastic poetry...read it!
David
Nov 18, 2008 David is currently reading it
great, dense, lyrical poetry.
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Joachim Stoop
Joachim Stoop marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Lindsay Bee
Lindsay Bee marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • The School Among the Ruins
  • White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson
  • Moral Clarity: A Guide for Grown-up Idealists
  • The Shadow of Sirius
August Kleinzahler was born in Jersey City in 1949. He is the author of eleven books of poems and a memoir, "Cutty, One Rock." His collection "The Strange Hours Travelers Keep" was awarded the 2004 Griffin Poetry Prize, and "Sleeping It Off in Rapid City" won the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award. That same year he received a Lannan Literary Award. His new collection, "The Hotel Oneira," wil ...more
More about August Kleinzahler...