Sleeping it Off in Rapid City

Sleeping it Off in Rapid City

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The first broad retrospective of August Kleinzahler’s career, Sleeping It Off in Rapid City gathers poems from his major works along with a rich portion of new poems that visit different voice registers, experiment with form and length, and confirm Kleinzahler as among the most inventive and brilliant poets of our time. Travel—actual and imaginary—remains a passion and ins...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Tim Lepczyk
Some of these poems were tough, muscular, edgy pieces of prose that define images and ideas concretely. For me, those were the more enjoyable poems. They had a sense of realism and compactness and stayed with you.

The other poems were a little more sprawling and rambling. Ideas were bound up in language that floated somewhere beyond the reader. After reading some of these poems I was left with a thought of so what? What can I take away from this?

Part of this might stem from the fact that this is...more
Dan Butterfass
Kleinzahler is that rare breed of poet whose blend of craft and "fire" is seamless. His poems combust with the heat and irrational inner glow of their original conception, while threading the eye of the needle of technique and craft. His work is all fire and ice. This work is incantatory, erudite, clear and complex at the same time. He's a language star whose loose, five-martinis later flair for the language amplifies and rarifies rather than obscuficates (e.g. Ashberry) or diminishes (e.g. Jame...more
Ms.
Apr 24, 2008 Ms. marked it as to-read
Ultimately Mr. Kleinzahler boiled his case against Mr. Keillor down to these three-and-a-half sentences: “Multivitamins are good for you. Exercise, fresh air, and sex are good for you. Fruit and vegetables are good for you. Poetry is not.”

It makes a certain kind of sense, then, that Mr. Kleinzahler’s career-spanning new book of poems, “Sleeping It Off in Rapid City,” features on its cover a nighttime photograph of a White Castle hamburger franchise. Like White Castle’s pint-size hamburgers, Mr....more
Mark
Aug 11, 2008 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry

August Kleinzahler has great descriptive power as a poet. I can't say these collected poems left me with wondrous insights, but they did create a sense of beauty, often tinged with sadness, that was remarkably vivid.

If there is a theme to these poems, it is one of travel and displacement, occasionally anchored by his return trips to his New Jersey roots. He is at his best when he speaks economically, as in "Storm Over Hackensack."

This angry bruise about to burst
on City Hall

Orientation Weekend
Meat
Before Dawn on Bluff Road
Joje
This has replaced the now run-out subscription to the Int'l Herald Trib for breakfast reading, and no loss when you think about it. Taking poetry in bits is healthy and wise, and these are as contemporary as today's news. Maybe I'll go back to Heaney when finished with this, if I ever am. Or Yeats again, or...? Poetry in the morning, a Decameron tale or 2 in the evening, work of various sorts between, not a bad life, after all.
Joseph E. Lerner
August Kleinzahler has been writing poetry for a long time, and he keeps getting better. This volume is a retrospective of sorts, but includes much new work as well. How to describe Kleinzahler? He has his roots in Beat poetry, but he's gone far beyond such influences. His writing always feels fresh, original, inventive, and unexpected, thoroughly American in sensibility but international in scope. Highly recommended.
Darren
Heavy. Some were funny - some were great. I would like to have had a machete to get through many. I especially liked sections II III and V. Toys was good in IV. I liked Traveler's Tails: Chapter 13. The beginning seemed to imply great questions about modernity, ease...The moderator's question "what is the function of art in society?" - I guess...diversify our "Social democracy".
Deb
Jan 13, 2014 Deb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Poetry cannot be read linearly. Sometimes, you start out that way, only to discover that it is more fun--and more representative of the poet's work--to jump around. I did that here, and earned a wonderful introduction to the work of a man who pulls no punches, and yet has a surprisingly delicate lyricism to his work. I will read this again. Recommended.
Michael
Damn - this guy is good. Any poet that puts a White Castle photo on his cover is worth reading! Tough poems, a little bit of asphalt and some dogwood blossoms, dying friends and lovers - all types. But more than what they are about, his language is excellent and interesting.
National Book Critics Circle
See NBCC Board Member Kevin Prufer's review at Critical Mass, as part of 30 Books in 30 Days:
Matthew
beautiful poems, not all flowery.
precise, realistic, and concise descriptions of places, atmospheres, faces, bodies, experiences.
(least poetic description/review ever.)
Robert Paglia
Has a tremendous command of language. Can be needlessly crude at times, but I enjoy his blend of sophisticated vocabulary and musicality with down to earth subject matter.
Ian
May 06, 2008 Ian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I'll probably finish this book at some point. But right now I'm not patient enough to wade through his clever, detached irony to find the one good poem in 10.
!Tæmbuŝu
Monte
Fantastic poetry...read it!
David
Nov 18, 2008 David is currently reading it
great, dense, lyrical poetry.
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Simeon Berry
Simeon Berry is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Feb 15, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Mike Oliver
Mike Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Moira
Moira added it
Jan 08, 2014
Nicola Kumar
Nicola Kumar marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Thulu
Thulu marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
August Kleinzahler was born in Jersey City in 1949. He is the author of eleven books of poems and a memoir, "Cutty, One Rock." His collection "The Strange Hours Travelers Keep" was awarded the 2004 Griffin Poetry Prize, and "Sleeping It Off in Rapid City" won the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award. That same year he received a Lannan Literary Award. His new collection, "The Hotel Oneira," wil...more
More about August Kleinzahler...
Cutty, One Rock: Low Characters and Strange Places, Gently Explained The Strange Hours Travelers Keep: Poems Green Sees Things in Waves: Poems Red Sauce, Whiskey and Snow: Poems Live from the Hong Kong Nile Club: Poems: 1975-1990