The Bathhouse

The Bathhouse

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  35 reviews

With intense emotion and great literary skill, Farnoosh Moshiri has written one of the most moving novels to come out in years. The story begins with the arrest of a seventeen-year-old girl in the early days of the fundamentalist revolution in Iran. Imprisoned because of her brother’s involvement with leftist politics, she is placed in a makeshift jail, a former bathhouse,...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published April 1st 2001)

Carrie
This was an amazing book. I could not put it down. I had to finish it. The raw brutality of this narrative wrenched me and the quick pacing kept me on edge. I actually really enjoy Iranian literature and am always looking for something that speaks to the troubles that riddle that area of the world- especially the gender prejudice and I felt like this book not only gave voice to that, but also to the zeal of religious fundamentalism in a very honest, straightforward narrative. We see the loss of...more
Mike
A shocking story of the treatment of Iranian people under Khomeini. It is sad to think how cruel we can be to our fellow human beings, once we've decided they are 'other' - other race, other religion, other political persuasion.

An admirably brave book, which, if it only makes some people realise what went on under Khomeini, and to consider if it could happen in our own country, is a great contribution to the world.
Brenda
This short novel describes the capture and captivity of a young Iranian girl who is arrested after Iran was overtaken and the religious extremists took over, and curfews and blackouts become the norm. The girl in this novel endures all sorts of torture in the name of religion as her captors try to break her spirit and even execute her family and friends around her. Though very short, this novel is compelling, you can feel the horrors that each woman experiences and their pain as they try to make...more
okyrhoe
The quiet endurance of the girl as she suffers the indignities of captivity is unsettling to read about. One wishes she would react at some point, either by reason or by insanity, as some of her fellow prisoners did.
Although she does construct meaning out of her ordeal - as the first person narrator she is 'writing' an account that is considerably more substantial than her superficial adolescent journals which are taken away from her upon her arrest - it is uncertain whether she matures enough...more
Laleh
This book was a nice, quick read in between books that made me think. It's a story about prisoners in a makeshift jail in Iran during a time of political turmoil, and these prisoners are treated very poorly in hopes of getting them to reveal information their captors want. The author talked to several people about their experiences, and then wove together a story about this bathhouse. I think that if the woman was writing from her own perspective, she might have captured a certain "je ne sais qu...more
Claudia Fiorini
I still remember the characters after few months I finished the book. It makes me think how human nature is. What people can do to survive under torture. What a human can do to another. It reminds me of the book "the doll house" and the Nazi Camps during WWII. It is sad to think nothing changed. It has changed only the reason: now religion over then purity of a race. And the worse is: the people outside know and at the same time they pretend not to know about the bathhouse. Like then for the naz...more
AmblingBooks
"[T]he starkly simple tale she tells is convincing in tone and substance�.the narrator is a vivid character, an ordinary student with a stubborn, rebellious streak that enables her to endure the horrors of prison. Moshiri's impressive novel works at two levels, telling a compelling story while bearing witness to a brutal period in Iranian history." � Publishers Weekly

Listen to The Bathhouse on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Melissa
This is a very quick read - I read it in one sitting. The book is a first person account of prison life in Iran as told by a 17 year old school girl who is arrested because her brother is a political activist. The story takes place in an old bathhouse that is converted to a prison by the Islamic Republic. Her story to survive and try to maintain her dignity is a fascinating yet disturbing tale.

The incidents in The Bathhouse are based on interviews with victims of Khomeini's repressive regime.
Katy Haupt

I liked this novel because it's realistic. No frills, no sugar coated happy ending. It is straight forward about what the main character is going through and thinking, relaying the same thoughts and desires of the reader. Her wants and thoughts become yours. Her pain is your pain.
It's difficult to reason with yourself that though this tale is fiction, there are places in the world that this is a very true reality.
I definitely recommend this short read.
Thejourn
Reading this book is like reading a horror novel - only this is based on true events. I found the language riveting, and liked the objectivity of the first person narrator. The only difficulty I see readers having is the lack of historical context - the reader is literally thrown into the novel without explanation. I recommend reading Persepolis first in order to gain context, then moving onto this haunting work.
Chris
I really enjoyed this book. It was elegant in its simplicity. The protagonist's horrific experience of torture and wrongful imprisonment is scary and reminds me how thin the cloak of civilized behavior really is. We really can be barbaric to each other at times. But always there are the threads of decency, of courage and love.
Isolabella
I found this story very disturbing. It is well written in simple language. An ideology derived from religion and mix in with politics is a recipe for disaster. Especially in this part of the world. At the end the reader will have a lasting memory of the narrator's horendous experienced in captivity. A book worth reading.

Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Chilling. Wonderful to read in conjunction with Reading Lolita in Tehran A Memoir in Books and Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis books.
Andrea Facio
Listened to this one on audio. Chilling and haunting and horrifying at points to hear the way these women are treated. Very eye-opening view of something we hear so little about in the mainstream. Captivating and humbling. You feel deeply for these women and remember to be thankful for your own freedoms.
Tiffany
What I found most disturbing about this book was the fact that the women took such a big role in torturing the other women....Women that just weeks or months before were in the same position. When her brother says we would have done the same to them if we'd won, I was discussed. How can people be so evil?
Daisy
This was so hard to read, the subject matter is so gruesome and depressing. It's a high school graduate's narrative of what happens to her and other prisoners, mostly women, when they are kept in an old bathhouse by religious zealots. As difficult as it is, I should read and learn more about this era.
Carol
This audiobook was sometimes difficult to listen to because of the subject matter. It was a very moving story of a young woman trying to survive after being put in prison for her brother's political activism. I can't really say I enjoyed it because of the subject, but it was very insightful.
karen
Jun 11, 2007 karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Those interested in Middle Eastern culture
This was a quick read, in part because the language was so simple, but also because it's hard to put it down! The story of the narrator is sad and compelling, and she is a sympathetic character that any woman can identify with to some extent. Overall, an interesting and sad read!
Michelle
I'm not sure how to describe this book but to say it gives a frighteningly real view of some of the atrocities happening in our world today. Seen through the eyes of one woman, it feels real, confusing, scary, appalling, shocking and bitter sweet all at once.
dianne budd
a terrifyingly real account of life in a post revolutionary prison (a converted bathhouse) in Iran; especially for young women - who were routinely raped on the eve of their execution since killing a virgin is a sin. creepy and riveting.
Rosabay
Oct 09, 2010 Rosabay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who is capable on reading about torture.
Recommended to Rosabay by: The Book Club
I never read a book with such violence. I couldnt stop reading it because I just really was wishing the ending was a good one. Which it just lead me to keep thinking about the book. A good book always leaves you thinking.
Sandra
Not a fun read, but a grim and sobering work of fiction. Told in a matter of fact tone as by a young person introduced to a shocking reality of imprisonment, torture and execution, it feels very real.
Kata
I loved this book! Story is dark, but captures you from the start. And I have a signed copy by the author!!! Now, I must read her favorite one, "At the wall of Almighty"...
I ripped through this. I... This is the trouble with books like this. I don't know what to say, except that it will break your heart.
Terry
Aug 17, 2008 Terry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: found in library
This is a powerful novel that poignantly describes the horrors of the Iranian regime that we hear so much about. Evil continues to thrive!
Betsie Bush
amazing story (though at times disturbing)... more shocking because it is based on events that happened in my own lifetime.
Haimish Chandra
Hauntingly beautiful. I absolutely love this novel. So much depth and emotion portrayed in each of the characters.
BethAnn
very different book, reminded me of the Holocaust.
KayG
Horrific - tense - I could not put it down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Iranian born writer Farnoosh Moshiri has published plays, short stories, and translations in Iranian literary magazines before the 1979 revolution and in anthologies published outside Iran in the 1980s. In 1983, she fled her country after a massive arrest of secular intellectuals, feminists, and political activists. She lived in refugee camps of Afghanistan and India for four years before emigrati...more
More about Farnoosh Moshiri...
Against Gravity At the Wall of the Almighty The Crazy Dervish and the Pomegranate Tree The Drum Tower The Bathhouse