The God Squad

The God Squad

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The past they tried to hide.

His mother died from cancer in 1955. His father committed suicide shortly thereafter. Paddy Doyle was sentenced in an Irish district court to be detained in an industrial school for eleven years. He was four years old...

Paddy Doyle's prize-winning bestseller, The God Squad, is both a moving and terrifying testament of the institutionalised Irela...more
Published September 22nd 1989 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about The God Squad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Squad

Charlie's Pond by C.L. HeckmanPhenomena by Susan TarrSpilled Milk by K.L. RandisDetour from Normal by Ken DicksonOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. Blount
Best Books Based On A True Story
39th out of 54 books — 107 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey EugenidesRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Suicide
187th out of 394 books — 313 voters

More lists with this book...

I found Paddy's experiences as a young child so hateful that they were difficult to humanise, therefore difficult to want to feel anything other than distance from. As his story progressed and he interspersed his Narrative with present-day conjecture I found it easier to empathise with the young boy, rather than just feeling utter horror. A traumatic, moving account that everyone should share a common responsibility for to ensure it cannot happen again.
Tailsmo
Depressing, as expected, but blasé about what happened to him, as if he accepted his mistreatment. There was no anger. It read like a case study.

I don't usually read these types of books. I read 'A Child Called It' years ago, found most of it unbelievable, and have not read another one since. I am highly concerned about both publishers making money off of other people's misery and why anyone would want to read about abuse. I also don't understand why parents would allow their children to be the...more
Clare O'Beara
As a four-year-old boy, Paddy saw his father who had hanged himself from a tree, in despair at his wife's early death from cancer. Paddy was sent to an orphanage school run by nuns in Wexford. The nuns believed suicide was a crime and a grave sin, so when Paddy could not help talking about what he had seen, he was told he must be lying because people did not do that, and beaten unmercifully.

This was in 1955 and it took thirty years for Paddy to find out the truth about his origins, and to be re...more
Rosalind Minett
Paddy Doyle writes this book in a restrained adult voice but with all the detail and perspective of the child who suffered. In light of recent revelations, it is sadly not too difficult to accept that such an outrageous misadventure kept occurring to this orphan. First terribly harmed and then placed in authority care, Paddy fared little better physically or emotionally. He did manage to form attachments only to have them broken. Nevertheless, this is not a misery memoir but a spirited tale of u...more
Siobhan O' Sullivan
While this story is tragic in it's own right and highlights the ignorance of the nuns and the doctors in Ireland at the time. I can't stop feeling that Mr. Doyle is a complainer, it feels repetitive and whinny... some of the details so trivial that I can't understand why he harps on about it let alone remember it, it's not the story that feels repetitive but the writing style i think.

In saying that what do I know of the memories of a man that went through something so terrible that one wouldn't...more
chucklesthescot
Oct 19, 2011 chucklesthescot rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardy souls who like true stories
This was another hard-hitting memoir about the cruel treatment dealt out to children by the Nuns in Ireland. It is a tough, dark, depressing read and I felt as if I was being attacked by a Dementor when reading it as all the happiness in my life was draining out of me page by page. It is a real horror story but was too dark and draining for me to complete it. These books about the Nuns are soul-destroying and it takes a determined reader to plough through them.
John
Having been exposed to similar treatments from the Catholic Nuns in my own upbringing around the same time period, I find this an accurate account of life for the Irish poor in Eire. Thankfully, I didn't become a hospital's 'lab rat'. However, it did bring to the surface a number of repressed emotions.
Val Quigley
I don't usually read this type of autobiography but this one is different. Well written. Sad that these things happened but amazing that Paddy and his personality and intelligence survived. Read it and let it affect you.
Nina
A touching true-life story of an orphaned boy living in misery in a factory school run by sadistic nuns, until he is shipped from hospital to hospital for years.
Lee Harding
This was a gritty book that I was unable to put down and highlights the mistreatment of those in the 'care' of the state
Nova
A sad story; but I am glad we have come a long way in brain surgery since the 1950's.
Kay
Apr 22, 2010 Kay is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
OMG... this is just disgraceful !
Lee
Lee added it
Aug 18, 2014
Carolyn Cahill
Carolyn Cahill marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Em26
Em26 marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014