Start by marking “Steeplechase (Homer Kelly, #18)” as Want to Read:
Steeplechase (Homer Kelly, #18)

Steeplechase (Homer Kelly #18)

"A lost church?" said Homer Kelly. "How could a church get itself lost? You mean it just pointed its steeple at the horizon and took off?"

His wife sucked her pencil. "I know it sounds strange."

Strange or not, Homer and Mary are soon engaged in a steeplechase, a pursuit of the mysterious lost church.

Luckily, the reader is in on the mystery. This sequel to The Deserter:
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Steeplechase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steeplechase

Jukka
Sep 07, 2008 Jukka added it
Steeplechase (2005) - Jane Langton
I had read Diamond in the Window by Jane Langton when i was in sixth grade. That adventure, and the children in the book are fresh and alive for me. I wondered what else Langton may have written? She is still writing, she was born in 1922, and she's quite prolific, another book soon to be published. A Langton characteristic is to combine her story with some striking and unique historic place, event, or person. Here in her most recent, it's a great tree, a horrib
Scilla
Sep 18, 2011 Scilla rated it really liked it
My mother would have loved this book. It jumps between the current time when Homer Kelley is writing a book about old New England churches and just after the Civil War Massachusetts, north-west of Boston. Homer's editor wants some juicy details to spice up the book. Homer and his wife Mary are visiting churches outside Boston to try to find some details to interest the editor. In the post civil war era, we meet a rambuctuous little boy, a disfigured Civil War veteran, his devoted wife and her pa ...more
Linda Lipko
Sep 26, 2010 Linda Lipko rated it did not like it
This disappointing book does not merit a review. I worked my way through 3/4 of it and then gave up. Still, I'm counting it simply because I spent too much frustration in trying to make sense of it all.

I enjoyed Emily Dickinson is dead and thus thought another of Langton's books would be fun. I was wrong.

This is a boring tale of Homer Kelly who suddenly becomes a best selling author of a book people confess to not reading. His publisher insists he write a follow up book, this one about New Engla
Robin
Dec 30, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
This was a good way to pass a snowy afternoon. Langton's alternating chapters between post-Civil War New England and Homer Kelly's search for a juicy story about a church is a quick read. Dueling pastors, a mischievous young boy, a huge chestnut tree, church buildings and congregations, and likable characters make for an engaging story. If you read Langton's earlier "The Deserter" you may enjoy meeting some of those characters again; I found "Steeplechase" much more enjoyable (the Civil War batt ...more
Ed
Jul 26, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#18 in the Homer Kelly series. Final book in the series.

Homer Kelly is writing a book about the churches around his Concord, MA home. The narrative flips back and forth to a tale of some of his wife's distant ancestors around 1870, with a story of war injuries, feuding clergymen, and a huge chestnut tree in a fictional Nashoba graveyard. The present day research features descendants of the 1870 story. Sequel to "The Deserter".
Carolyn
Aug 08, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
Although this is categorized as a mystery, it's more a historical novel, with the narrative jumping back and forth between 1868 and the present day as Homer & Mary Kelly go in search of a missing church. Added bonus of period photos which the author found to illustrate her fictional historical characters. Thank you to my friend Laura B for giving this to me for my birthday!
Megan
Sep 26, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I always enjoy Jane Langton's Homer Kelly mysteries. I was a little apprehensive about this one because it took place in the past as well as the present, but Langton came through again. (And the title of the book is a clever play on words; Homer is going around New England looking at old churches to write a book on them.)
Martha
Sep 13, 2010 Martha rated it really liked it
I love Homer and Mary, and enjoyed the added interest of the modern-day historian sleuths alternating with the post-Civil War era events. Plot got a bit contrived towards the end but it was still very satisfying. Characters are great....
Candy Wood
Jul 23, 2011 Candy Wood added it
Shelves: mysteries
More about 19th-century New England village folk than Homer and Mary, but still interesting. It's one of those weird phenomena associated with aging that one resists the idea that series writers and characters also get older with time.
Jul 04, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
A decent book. Not really a mystery but an interesting story none-the-less.
Cindy
Apr 12, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok
This was a bit difficult to follow. I have ordered the first in the series to see if that helps bring things up to speed. I liked the photo's of the characters.....nice touch.
Angela
Jun 16, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was one of my favorite Homer Kelly stories. The end was predictable, but the journey there was interesting and enjoyable.
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2011
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
June
Mar 18, 2011 June added it
Shelves: mystery
Flits back and forth in time between now and a Civil War era mystery story ... hard to put it down!
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2008
Eva
Eva rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Janne
Janne rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Rachel Crooks
Rachel Crooks rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2009
Lynn Jones
Lynn Jones rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Rebecca Kanan
Rebecca Kanan rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2010
Kathryn McCary
Kathryn McCary rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2010
Deedee
Deedee rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2010
Keith
Keith rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2007
Linden
Linden rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch
More about Jane Langton...

Homer Kelly (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Dark Nantucket Noon (Homer Kelly, #2)
  • The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly, #3)
  • Natural Enemy (Homer Kelly, #4)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Good and Dead (Homer Kelly, #6)
  • Murder at the Gardner (Homer Kelly, #7)
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Divine Inspiration (Homer Kelly, #10)