God in Concord (Homer Kelly Mystery #9)

God in Concord (Homer Kelly Mystery #9)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the retirees of the trailer park community located on a choice piece of property begin to die mysterious deaths, Homer Kelly investigates, certain that their deaths are linked to the sudden interest in development in the town. Reprint.
Published May 1st 1993 by Penguin Books (first published 1992)

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here& in August 2000.

God in Concord is a detective novel about two things I find difficult to understand. The story is about an attempt to build a new development in Concord, Mass., threatening the Walden Pond which inspired Thoreau. I personally find it difficult to get excited about any heritage less than two hundred years old - I was amazed to find a Canadian cousin of mine just as excited about the Victorian terraces which can be seen from the walls of Lin...more
Rebecca
Jane Langton's Homer Kelly is one part absent-minded professor, one part Doctor Who (sans time travel) and one part...well, Homer Kelly. Suffering from JFS (Jessica Fletcher Syndrome), mystery and death seem to "sniff out" Homer, rather than the other way around.

The story is not just merely about scenic suburban life and the petty trifles of its inhabitants. That provides the narrative façade for an astute commentary regarding the politics of development/city planning, environmentalism and the d...more
Deb
I enjoy Langton's books a lot. Her children's book, Diamond in the Window, is one of my favorites of all time. The adult mysteries are comforting -- a murder here and there, but set in a world where things all turn out well in the end, the characters you really care about will not get killed, and the kind, quirky individuals will find love (if they need it). Some of the nice things about the mysteries are: Homer Kelly, the detective figure, is a likeable Emerson scholar and lover of Transcendent...more
Barbara
A light, enjoyable mystery! There was enough humor to keep it fun and enough suspense to keep you reading.
Maura
skip this. really. it's filled with 2-dimensional characters, most of whom are either mean, bitter &/or selfish. i probably could have lived with all that and just dismissed the book as a piece of forgetable fluff. but every other chapter, you're forced to endure descriptions like this (of a doctor whose office is heavy on the pink & flowers):

"Homer was glad to see that [Dr. Stefano] didn't match his office suite. His face wasn't part of any decorating scheme. It was lined and puckered w...more
Jeffrey
Another New England book - not abut religion, but a mystery story. Homer Kelly is a great character and the books are quite simple. But, when you know the communities the are set in, it is fun to read. I enjoyed reading this whole series. I think I have read all 18, the last was written in 2005.
Melinda Seyler
Mar 08, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com

God in Concord by Jane Langton I have a love of Thoreau and Walden and this is set around there and involves the saving of Walden Pond and people who talk about Thoreau a lot. So that was interesting. The mystery was a real surprise ending but not all that gripping, nonetheless.

Chris Leuchtenburg
A loony tale involving a gang of homeless in tony Concord, some amoral developers and a group of Thoreau fanatics. Imaginative and often humorous, but leisurely paced and rife with implausible events.
Margaret
Aug 11, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2006
I liked this book a lot - a nice mix of characters (I especially liked Ananda), lovely illustrations (rarely seen in mysteries) and a believable plot without a lot of silliness - a very nice read.
Kestrell
A mystery which is literary, well-written, fun and full of action, and still thoughtful and thought-provoking--all that, and Thoreau quotes too. Great book, great series.
Amyem
Feb 15, 2011 Amyem added it
Shelves: bookcrossing, own

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.
Carol
Jun 28, 2009 Carol added it
Interesting scenario -- but I couldn't get into it. Started to seem contrived.
Janet
Splendid. I do so love her Homer Kelly mysteries.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
not very good
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch...more
More about Jane Langton...
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly Mystery #5)