Start by marking “The Advocate's Devil” as Want to Read:
The Advocate's Devil

Alan M. Dershowitz

The Advocate's Devil

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the legal tactician who has represented such famous clients as Mike Tyson, O.J. Simpson, and Michael Milken, comes a novel that goes far beyond the limits of the courtroom thriller to probe our deepest fears and asks the controversial legal question--What do you do if you are a defense attorney who suspects your client is guilty and dangerous?
Published October 1st 2001 by Warner Books (first published November 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Advocate's Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advocate's Devil

Paul
Arriving at the number of stars to award this book was a lose/lose proposition. Story line is strong; characters are interesting, convincing and well drawn; my emotional involvement was significant -- but from the standpoint of fiction technique, particularly dialogue (often not grounded and too prolix)and pacing, the writing was sometimes somewhat deficient.

Yet, it was a real treat to spend some hours in the presence of a first-class mind, Dershowitz. He is an articulate and clever writer who
Mike
At times these days I pick up a book, get 100 pages in and think "I read this before". This is a unique situation cause I'm back around a large set of books I had access to 15-20 years prior, so it's happening a bit frequently. This was one of those.

And I didn't stop reading cause this is a pretty good legal novel. Dershowitz essentially writes it somewhat autobiographically as the main lawyer may as well be him, and it's got a whiff of his early career of trying to keep his morals while chasing
Barbara
A bit too much lecturing. And I love courtroom books. Somehow this was all too pedantic.
Johnson
Intriguing, finished, good book. Ending could be better.

Will read another book from the same author.
Barry
questioning the limits of civil liberties - by one of its advocates
Yotamhod24
excellent suspense. learned a lot about law.
Arlene Steele
Disappointing. Predictable.
Cws
M Der
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Tan
Tan added it
Jul 18, 2015
Susen
Susen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Betty Delorio
Betty Delorio marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Anne Hagan
Anne Hagan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Janai W.
Janai W. marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • At All Costs
  • The Grid
  • True Crime
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Museums & Women And Other Stories
  • Al-Jazeera: The Inside Story of the Arab News Channel That is Challenging the West
  • Queer London: Perils and Pleasures in the Sexual Metropolis, 1918-1957
  • Island Madness
  • In the Name of the Father
  • Art of the Twentieth Century
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • Bajarse al moro
  • Poker For Dummies
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...
The Case for Israel Letters to a Young Lawyer Just Revenge Reversal of Fortune: Inside the Von Bulow Case Taking the Stand: My Life in the Law