Start by marking “The Devil's Advocate” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Andrew Durrant could have had everything the world had to offer - wealth, fame, honors, authority. All he had to do was sacrifice that fragile thing called integrity. Instead Andrew Durant chose a different path. Against him were ranged the mighty forces of the Establishment. At stake was all he was and could ever hope to be. Here, from the magnificent pen of one of the gr ...more
Published June 1st 1984 by Jove (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Advocate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Advocate

Michael Austin
Taylor Caldwell is the Ozymandius of 20th century Anglo-American letters. She was one of the most well-known and highest paid writers of the mid-century, she wrote more than 40 books, nearly all of them bestsellers. And today, very few people under 60 have even heard her name.
The Devil’s Advocate is not even one of her better known novels, but it has had something of a second life among various right-wing patriot groups, who see in it something of a blueprint of how they are going to fight the
Christy
Feb 23, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cindy
Recommended to Christy by: HS teacher
This book taught me the true meaning of having a cause. Not only believing in that cause but to die for it. It was facinating to explore the courage of his convictions.
Thomas Walker
Dec 30, 2011 Thomas Walker rated it it was amazing
Taylor Caldwell's prolific writing ability is greatly missed. Each of her books are a work of art.
Ray Dix
Nov 26, 2013 Ray Dix rated it really liked it
This Dystopia falls somewhere between the Orwellian world of 1984 and the Ayn Rand vision of future events as presented in Atlas Shrugged. The world has fallen into “Sections” of countries which are engaged in almost perpetual states of war with each other. Ordinary citizens work in factories designed for the production of military armaments and other industries designed to support the military complex which prevails.

The upper classes of citizens include the Farmers who manage large tracts whic
Greg
Jan 15, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Pretty good novel centering around a patriot who takes an seemingly unpatriotic position in a totalitarian government with the goal of pushing the citizenry into the action needed to overthrow the oppressive government. Not like Caldwell's biblical fiction, but quite good.
Robyn Teunissen
Nov 13, 2012 Robyn Teunissen rated it it was amazing
This book is outstanding!
Maryam gharagozloo
Aug 28, 2009 Maryam gharagozloo is currently reading it
This book shows you the true face of those in this society who act as angels but they are the true devils on earth.
Vacccine
Oct 06, 2012 Vacccine rated it it was amazing
better than 1984
Kelly
May 23, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this book. It's a serious page-turner once you hit the last 100 or so pages. Since I greatly enjoy alternate history (or whatever the genre may be called...if it is a genre), this book was right up my alley. I was also impressed with the speech at the end, as well, though it was very lengthy (what presidential speech isn't??). Not an action book, but very much a musing story that leaves you wondering what if things had happened that way. I do wish Caldwell had gone more ...more
Jim Rittenhouse
Read this first in 1971 on a trip up the Alaska Highway...it's a political alternate history of sorts, where the US is dominated by liberal totalitarians (yeah, right) who stomp on everyone's freedoms for kicks.

Nowadays, that's a common ultra-right-wing fantasy theme (the author was a Bircher) but I'd never heard of something like this before. Strictly speaking, it is NOT alternate history, because there's no point of divergence.

I fell for it because I felt it was compellingly written, though I
Angela Shockley
Jan 04, 2016 Angela Shockley rated it it was amazing
I read this in high school and finally remembered the name of it so I may read it again. The world to me seemed bleak; an alternate reality of USA gone horribly wrong.
Daniel
Apr 30, 2010 Daniel rated it really liked it
Great read!
James Spada
Oct 07, 2008 James Spada rated it it was amazing
Copyright 1952, This book is a realistic wizard of OZ. It renewed my faith in this country and the people in charge.
Kent
Jun 12, 2017 Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books of this type I've ever read. Finished it eons ago back in College, and still remains one of my top favorites!
Sue Davis
Mar 06, 2012 Sue Davis rated it liked it
Didn't know what any of it meant.
Googling Taylor Caldwell in 2012: a prolific writer who wrote historical fiction about the American dream as well as about biblical/religious themes,
"She was an outspoken conservative and for a time associated with the anti-Semitic Liberty Lobby. During the 1960s and 1970s she wrote for American Opinion, which attracted aging conservatives and former McCarthyites and occasionally stirred up conspiracy theories."
I read another book of hers in 1970 about a man w
Jeff Crosby
I recently re-read and reviewed John Ball's The First Team without using the word, dystopian. While this novel pushes a little further in that direction, I still think of it as a political thriller. Written at the dawn of the Cold War, Caldwell had a very specific point of view. Clearly anti-communistic, she didn't trust the mainstream public to defend their rights.

I've been wanting to re-read this novel for at least a decade. Incredibly hard to find, it has now surfaced as an ebook.

As soon as I
Robie
Jul 15, 2008 Robie rated it liked it
I really enjoy Caldwells style. This isn't normally my type of book. I bought it for my husband to read, but it's really good.

Caldwell almost swims from topic to topic and gives you information seemlessly, never braking stride. It's great so far!
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Lois Bouchard
Lois Bouchard rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009
A
A rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Anduine
Anduine rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Jane Straight
Jane Straight rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Stefan Klemm
Stefan Klemm rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2007
Alois Dugger
Alois Dugger rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Roberto
Roberto rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2013
  • The Search for a Soul: Taylor Caldwell's Psychic Lives
  • Crooked Tree
  • Castro's Bomb
  • The Clash of Economic Ideas
  • My Father Had a Daughter: Judith Shakespeare's Tale
  • The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War
  • Broken Universe (Universe, #2)
  • The Librarian
  • If Kennedy Lived: The First and Second Terms of President John F. Kennedy: An Alternate History
  • Gwen Bristow's Plantation Trilogy
  • Across the Great Sparkling Water (The Peacemaker, #2)
  • Love is Eternal
  • Chasing Shadows: A Special Agent's Lifelong Hunt to Bring a Cold War Assassin to Justice
  • Vatican
  • Indian Summer
  • Fatal Interview: Sonnets
  • Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies
  • The Busy Coder's Guide To Android Development
Also known by the pen names Marcus Holland and Max Reiner.

Taylor Caldwell was born in Manchester, England. In 1907 she emigrated to the United States with her parents and younger brother. Her father died shortly after the move, and the family struggled. At the age of eight she started to write stories, and in fact wrote her first novel, The Romance of Atlantis, at the age of twelve (although it
More about Taylor Caldwell...

“What manner of men had lived in those days...who had so eagerly surrendered their sovereignty for a lie and a delusion? Why had they been so anxious to believe that the government could solve problems for them which had been pridefully solved, many times over, by their fathers? Had their characters become so weak and debased, so craven and emasculated, that offers of government dole had become more important than their liberty and their humanity? Had they not know that power delegated to the government becomes the club of tyrants? They must have known. They had their own history to remember, and the history of five thousand years. Yet, they had willingly and knowingly, with all this knowledge, declared themselves unfit to manage their own affairs and had placed their lives, which belonged to God only, in the hands of sinister men who had long plotted to enslave them, by wars, by "directives," by "emergencies." In the name of the American people, the American people had been made captive.” 14 likes
“On the day when you again allow abominable men to confiscate your freedom, your money, your lives, your private property, your manhood and your sacred honor, in the name of "security' or "national emergency' you will die, and never again shall you be free. If plotters again destroy your Republic, they will do it by your greedy and ignorant assent, by your disregard of your neighbors' rights, by your apathy and your stupidity. We were brought to the brink of universal death and darkness because we had become that most contemptible of people -- an angerless one. Keep alive and vivid all your righteous anger against traitors, against those who would abrogate your Constitution, against those who would lead you to wars with false slogans and cunning appeals to your patriotism.” 0 likes