Start by marking “The Devil's Advocate” as Want to Read:

The Devil's Advocate

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,636 ratings  ·  51 reviews

A BROTHERHOOD OF BLOOD

John Milto
Published July 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Advocate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Advocate

Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
123rd out of 884 books — 4,830 voters
The Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
388th out of 802 books — 8,349 voters

More lists with this book...

John Sheehan
Very poorly written. Imagine a lazy, inept mash up of John Grisham's The Firm and Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby (fantastic examples of their respective genres). The foreshadowing would better be described as forehittingyouovertheheadwithit, the characters were one note often played out of tune, and the twist ending would have made a Tales from the Darkside writer proud. That being said, I was entertained, but mainly by the book's incompetence.
Delicious Strawberry
The movie caught my eye, and I was thinking, the book's gotta be better. Right? More often than not, a book trumps a movie hands-down, though some adaptations have turned out to be decent efforts. This book is from the same man who ghostwrites the V.C. Andrews novels (and the books he writes under her name are just god-awful) but I figured that if someone wanted to make a movie from this book, then the book had to be good... right? Right???

NO! The screenplay is actually better than the book! I c
Jessa Callaver
Not what I expected. Though I was one of those people who saw the film before I picked up the book. Apples and oranges. I initially fell in love with the film due in part to Pacino's incisive monologues in the film. None of them were in the book. Not one. And I dare say the book felt a bit thin in comparison...without them. I'd recommend this to those who have yet to see the film, however. A good read, not great IMO.
Giti
The newest attorney at the world's most powerful law firm has never lost a case. But he's about to lose his soul.

Bill Mazzola
one of the rare cases where the film is.much better than the book. the changes the screenwriters made turned this mess into a much more interesting and clever story. Never has an author aimed for creepy foreshadowing and missed so.wildly. Everything was so ham fisted and obvious it made reading this thing feel like I was getting punk'd. This book was hokey, poorly written and ridiculous, so much so that It got to a point where I was entertained more by how over the top bad it got as opposed to a ...more
Donna Cat
A good book but after seeing the film first, couldn't get Al Pacino out of my head as John Milton.
I'm told the ending was different but I think that other than that, the film stayed pretty true.

Always good to read the original work. Reminded me of Rosemary's Baby in places. A pretty creepy, dark read although I'm sure that the film created more of an atmosphere. The writing isn't particularly fantastic but I still enjoyed it, if just for comparison with the film adaptation.
Anas  Alhaisony
I don't really care whether the movie is better or the novel is better.This is because, when I read a novel or watch a movie , all what I think about is how important this novel is for the society , for the readers and definitely for art.Thus ,I intensively believe that this novel discusses one of the most important fields in the history of mankind which is Law. As we all know , There are a lot of stupid mottoes which lawyers always repeat such as ,'' I am a lawyer. I win. That's my job''. Wait ...more
Amanda
I really brilliant read!
Kris
2.5 STARS

"DEFENDER OF THE DAMNED... When Kevin Taylor joins the Manhattan criminal law firm of John Milton and Associates, he's hit the big time. At last, he and his wife can enjoy the luxuries they've so desired-- a chauffeur-driven limo, a stunning home in the very building that Mr. Milton himself lives in. Little does Kevin realize that he's joined

A BROTHERHOOD OF BLOOD

John Milton assigns Kevin one of the most notorious cases of the year, along with a file that had been put together prior to
Toni Mckain
This book, also a screenplay/film was an excellent example of the director and author lookng at a work of fiction and seeing the roots and heart of it in like minded fashion. The results were an excellent book and an exceptional movie that complimented each other.

Kevin is an ambitious, young lawyer from Gainesville,Fl. who has compromised himself (ethically) case, after case, after case. He is considered a winner, though, in his circle. Especially when it comes to getting acquittals, in his fie
Abbey
1990, NYC law firm, where money and success can get you in a hell of a lot of trouble. Unfortunately pedestrian - and predictable - book from which the much more famous (and far, far better) movie was made.

I was so disappointed by this book, for the movie of the same name is one of my favorites, sly, snappy, and fun, along with the chills and evil goings on. And the acting therein is, IMO, wonderful - if far over the top, but that sort of film needs that sort of acting, I think. The film is ver
Simon Taylor
verbava
зазвичай то простий рецепт для поезії: взяти якусь метафору й розкрутити її прямий сенс. але, вочевидь, із більшими текстами теж працює.
загалом "адвокат диявола" – то як "дитина розмарі", тільки про юристів і з експансивнішим сатаною. найдерман вдало розігрує старі добрі кліше; не настільки, щоб вони почали виглядати хоч якось несподівано чи там оригінально, але цілковито достатньо, щоб його було приємно читати.
Shaimaa
i really dun knw whether my review based on the movie or the book ,
The Movie called my attention much more the book.
The book dissatisfied me , Although the author's idea in the book was great that's why i couldn't neglect his role.
Finally , i couldn't forget that Milton " Al pacino " he caught my eyes and my ears all over the Movie.
it strengthen the idea of book alot.
Amanda Davies
Lacks the depth of the movie and it's written in a cheap bestseller fashion. However, it is a fast read and entertaining. One of those mindless books you'd take to the beach. The ending is different to the movie and it has a curious (although cliche) twist.
Tsvetelina Stambolova-Vasileva
Обикновено книгите са по-добри от филмите по тях. В този случай не е така.
Добра идея, но тегаво повествование и много куци диалози.
Я, по-добре да си изгледам пак филма...
Sabrina
Nov 20, 2014 Sabrina rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only those who are curious...in this case, the movie is better
It's hard to believe that a movie was based on this book...in this case, the movie was 10X better than the book. Don't buy it, get it from the library or a used book store.
Rainey
This is another book that I decided to read after watching the movie. While the concept is really outstanding, I simply did not enjoy the writing in this book.
Matthew Fenlon
A rare case where the movie is better than the book. Plot builds to such boring murder, completely lacking depth or motive.
Paul
I could've forgiven the supernatural aspect of the book, but I've read better novels with pretty much the same tone.

Summing it up in one word: forgettable.
Amy Lenord
This book was something I read because I saw the movie and knew there was more to know. I was so intrigued both when watching the movie and reading the book because I was raised in a Christian home and the references to and interpretations of the Bible scriptures used were so interesting. This really brought the whole "comes as an angel of light" description of the devil to the forefront and made temptation and corruption so real. It also makes sense that the devil's only power lies in the flaws ...more
Semajh
Better than the movie- and that says a lot. Really well done...
Charlene Gordon
Good book. Read this in 1997.
Jonathan Davison
A solicitor is asked to work for a New York lawyer firm. He agrees. He and his wife now live in an apartment. His clients are a seedy and corrupt bunch. His wife loses the chance to have children. And
she raped. He ignores her and pursues his career in the law firm. His boss told to spend time with his
wife. She commits suicide. She knew his boss's women are demons. He is by his mum who his dad is.
His dad is his boss and He is the...

....DEVIL. The solicitor kills his dad. The solicitor gets anoth
Alejandro
Rarely is the movie that was based off of a novel better then the book itself, but here is at least one example. This was an absolute pathetic attempt at mixing the spiritual with the carnal, and I consider this book to be one of the worst ever written. Please do not waste your time reading this book when it could be better spent doing more productive things - like ripping out your hair.
Amanda
Not a bad book, but very different from the movie! Kind of slow for a while and barrels like a freight train at the end. Would have like more fleshing out at the end rather than the chapters of how awesome and perfect everything is.
Christopher Wilde
Mechanically well written, the story is trite, the characters flat and uninspiring, the subject matter is obvious and lacking depth. My Neiderman's skill is that he can keep you reading crap.
Hashim
Piss-poor writing. Too artificial, contrived and predictable. Has some very few good parts though, and still manages to be mildly entertaining till the end.
Tammy Tadlock
It was better than the movie & I love the movie. They left out so much detail. If they had stayed w/ the book...The movie would have been FANTASTIC!!!
Jonathan Davison
This is about a lawyer who is employed by John Milton who turns out the god's advocary and the lawyer's dad. It's a clever story made into a film.
  • V for Vendetta
  • Total Recall
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Memento
Andrew Neiderman is the author of over 44 thrillers, including six of which have been translated onto film, including the big hit, 'The Devil's Advocate', a story in which he also wrote a libretto for the music-stage adaptation. One of his novels, Tender Loving Care, has been adapted into a CD-Rom interactive movie.

Andrew Neiderman became the ghostwriter for V.C. Andrews following her death in 19
More about Andrew Neiderman...
Pin The Need Playmates Brainchild Sister Sister