Start by marking “The Devil's Advocates: Greatest Closing Arguments in Criminal Law” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Advocates: Greatest Closing Arguments in Criminal Law

The Devil's Advocates: Greatest Closing Arguments in Criminal Law

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the authors of the acclaimed "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, " and featuring some of the most important cases in criminal law, "The Devil's Advocates" is the final volume of a must-have trilogy of the best closing arguments in American legal history.Criminal law is considered by many to be the most exciting of the legal specialties, and here the authors turn to the ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Advocates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Advocates

Jim Winkelman
Dec 06, 2015 Jim Winkelman rated it really liked it
I love this series! ("And the Walls Came Tumbling Down & Ladies And Gentlemen Of the Jury") You don't have to love law as they are as much about history and the development of life standards in US. Is life always fair? No, but here are some of our more eloquent speaker who made us think about the true definition of justice and re defining the social norm.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oddly enough, the closing arguments themselves were almost always disappointing. Lief and Caldwell do a magnificent job in this book analyzing eight significant criminal cases, from fleshing out the histories of the legal principles to engaging with the most colorful characters to painting detailed pictures about the social settings. Their observations are worth the price of this book, but the direct quotes of lengthy (and probably highly objectionable) closing arguments (or, worse, confused and ...more
Mark
Apr 17, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. I listened to the audible version and the voice actors were top notch. I had no idea of some of the stories behind the legal history in our country. This is a book everyone interested in law, justice or just good true stories should read/listen.
Duncheng
Aug 19, 2014 Duncheng rated it really liked it
Shelves: law
Very informative as a story book. But I am only wondering why the author organize the cases in this particular order. And the lack of ANY reference renders this book useless in and serious uses.
Catlaina
Feb 12, 2010 Catlaina rated it liked it
While I did enjoy select chapters of the book, the authors clearly tend to lean a little bit too much to the left when describing the cases. One of the hallmarks of a fair trial is to be innocent until proven guilty -- but the authors let you know the outcome before you even know all of the facts. Also, in some cases there is too much copying and pasting from court transcripts. However, when narrative exists it is quite good and I also thoroughly enjoy how they explain what happened to the defen ...more
Susan (the other Susan)
Mar 10, 2014 Susan (the other Susan) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow.
Dawn
Sep 02, 2010 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It may just be the nerd in me but I really enjoyed reading this book. It reviews the closing arguments of 8 high profile criminal cases. The cases range from the 1800's until today. The authors provide a lot of background and detail about each case and why the closing argument was so good. I learned a lot and the authors do a good job of making the cases as simple as possible and as fun to read as possible. If you like court history you will love this book!
Vickie
May 05, 2013 Vickie rated it liked it
A fairly good collection, including the defense closing from the accused Ruby Ridge shooters' trial, and the transcript of the appellate arguments in the Miranda case. I like to use these books to get ideas for my own closing arguments.
Emily
Dec 23, 2013 Emily added it
So some one stole this audio book out of my car. So I think i may be stuck in the middle of it for a very long time.
Chris
Apr 08, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Read the last chapter on Aaron Burr, it's awesome! (shameless self-plug...)
Dru
Nov 09, 2007 Dru rated it it was ok
I’m very wary of nonfiction books that don’t site any sources.
Heather
Apr 29, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Interesting history, but very long winded.
Sharon Dotson
Sep 28, 2011 Sharon Dotson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written to sell. That's a good thing.
John-Nathan
Nov 26, 2009 John-Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, legal
on pg 10.
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Lu
Lu marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Kailee
Kailee marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jason Mcclure
Jason Mcclure marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Ayça Günsel
Ayça Günsel marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Jay
Jay is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
C.Balasundran
C.Balasundran marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Edward Kim'Farrell
Edward Kim'Farrell marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Veeraragavan Nandakumar
Veeraragavan Nandakumar marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Melissa Lowery
Melissa Lowery rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016