Start by marking “David Suzuki: The Autobiography” as Want to Read:
David Suzuki: The Autobiography

David Suzuki: The Autobiography

The first volume of David Suzuki’s autobiography, Metamorphosis, looked back at his life from 1986, when he was 50. In this eagerly awaited second installment, Suzuki, now 70, reflects on his entire life — and on his hopes for the future. The book begins with his life-changing encounters with racism while interned in a Canadian concentration camp during World War II and co ...more
Published July 27th 2006 by Greystone Books (first published December 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about David Suzuki, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about David Suzuki

Rob Walter
Aug 29, 2008 Rob Walter rated it it was ok
David Suzuki is an ugly writer. Phew, that stinks!

His life is interesting, but his insights are not particularly fascinating to me: Breaking News - Indigineous people possess wisdom and are connected to the land! The fight for the rights of indigineous people is connected with the fight for the environment!

I'm about a third of the way through and trying to decide whether I can tolerate another two hundred pages of this ugly prose.
Dengyi Wang
Feb 18, 2014 Dengyi Wang rated it really liked it
I always wondering who David Suzuki is and what he did to put him in the list to compete for the Greatest Canadian. Now, I find the answer from the book.

First of all, he is a humble man. The book tells a lot of his stories. Seems he just in them naturally and he gives all credit to other peoples. He mentioned very lightly about dangers he went through and I'm sure they're much more scary than it sounds in the reality. Standing between angry indigenous people and ruthless soldiers, that's horrib
Lara
Nov 20, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
I have always wanted to read this book to find out how he got to where he was career wise and personally. This book is a bit different probably from other autobiographies as it is more so half a text book half about his life. Now other people probably dislike this but it all goes on what you were expecting. I think that as sharing knowledge and educating people has been such a big part of his entire life that it was just natural for it to be included in his book. I personally liked it as it is j ...more
Lisa Faye
May 23, 2012 Lisa Faye rated it liked it
This was a really great book! David Suzuki is such an inspiration and reading about his life taught me a lot about the environment and made me think about how I approach trying to do work around climate change. The last few chapter (minus the one on celebrity - where he just goes on and on about how he doesn't care if he's a celebrity, but yet tells us about all the celebrities he has met) were really the highlight.

I do have to say that Suzuki could have used a better editor. His prose are reall
Gina
Aug 25, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
This autobiography reads so well, just like you are sitting visiting and David Suzuki is telling you his stories. He tells of his story from young childhood including his family's immigration to Canada, his education and career with fun and moving moments of his family life and the many human and environmental issues he has tackled.

Quote: "If we were to reduce the planet to the size of a basket-ball, the atmosphere would be thinner than a layer of plastic we use to wrap sandwiches. And that is w
Diane
Jan 01, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very interesting book. David Suzuki is in his 70's now and has had a very interesting and varied life. His childhood was interrupted by WW2 and the horrendous experience of being forced into an internment camp. But he managed to get to college and graduate school and begin on the career he had chosen. But life has a way of taking you to where you are supposed to be and he more and more became involved in environmental issues all over the world. This often interfered with fam ...more
Jazz
Oct 25, 2013 Jazz rated it it was amazing
If you think your life is hard then you should read what David Suzuki and his family went through!

Eye opening, dramatic,shocking and surreal the struggles of people just trying to survive and fit in. Reminds the reader of their own life's events. Sometimes no matter what you meant to do or set out to accomplish life happens along the way and throws you curve balls you navigate like sailing a ship on rough seas as best you can. Truly a inspirational read.
Gabriel Iqbal
Mar 12, 2015 Gabriel Iqbal rated it it was amazing
I have been following David Suzuki's career since the 1992 Earth Summit. Via my training organization, Eureka Academy, I have been providing Leadership and Sustainable Development Training across the globe for about 20 years. David's works along with Rachel Carlson, Al Gore, David Attenborough... to name but a few have been the milestones of my passion towards working for a Sustainable Planet.
Frances Bell
Apr 29, 2011 Frances Bell rated it liked it
Here's a man who's had an amazing life and done so much, yet regrets he hasnt spent time with his children. No - he's done something better, and more important, than that. He's helping to make sure they have a world to inherit. And at least one of his kids has inherited his passion.
Clyde
Jan 16, 2008 Clyde rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about this great Japanese-Canadian envionmentalist that I had no idea about before, especially his relationship with the First Nation and his work in South America. I found it a little rambling: could have been more tightly edited.
Kerry
Aug 01, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Got quite slow in the middle but finished well. Particularly enjoyed his "thoughts on growing old". A fascinating character, who has lived his life in keeping with his ideals. History will treat him well.
Victoria
Mar 28, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
10/10. I feel like I have known David Suzuki my whole life! I read this and heard his voice the whole time. and it coincided with his 80th birthday so to hear the stories on The Nature of Things as well as this book was cool.
Magdalaine
May 02, 2011 Magdalaine rated it it was ok
Although he did many great things, the book was not great. The way it was written made his exciting life seem like a textbook. Maybe I should just stay away from autobiographies. Others may like it but it was definitely not for me.
Sījié
Apr 19, 2012 Sījié rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Environmentalists, biography buffs in general
Not much to add on to what has probably already been said about the man and the book. Simply, a fascinating life account of an utterly fascinating man.
Lynell
Jan 19, 2015 Lynell rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.His insight into human nature is amazing. His humility and humanity truly inspiring.Well worth the read.
C.J. Prince
Mar 21, 2009 C.J. Prince rated it really liked it
David Suzuki is an important voice long preceding what is not called the green movement. His life is fascinating. I'm looking forward to his new book "The Big Picture."
Julie
Jul 08, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Full of interesting information about Suzuki. Not the most inspired writing but palatable and easy to get through
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
May 31, 2012
Tom Winkler
Tom Winkler rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2007
Holden Heaven
Holden Heaven rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Katrien Johnson
Katrien Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
David Vanbiesbrouck
David Vanbiesbrouck rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Tuck
Tuck rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2008
Cate
Cate rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Morgen
Morgen rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Sienna
Sienna rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
  • Lost in Mongolia: Rafting the World's Last Unchallenged River
  • The Death Of Donna Whalen: A Novel
  • Touch The Dragon: A Thai Journal
  • Lament for a Nation
David Suzuki is a Canadian science broadcaster and environmental activist. A long time activist to reverse global climate change, Suzuki co-founded the David Suzuki Foundation in 1990, to work "to find ways for society to live in balance with the natural world that sustains us." The Foundation's priorities are: oceans and sustainable fishing, climate change and clean energy, sustainability, and Da ...more
More about David Suzuki...