Start by marking “A Pair of Silk Stockings” as Want to Read:
A Pair of Silk Stockings

A Pair of Silk Stockings

A short story by Kate Chopin. The story takes place in an unnamed city--a city large enough to have a department store, a fashionable restaurant, a theatre, and a cable car--probably in the early 1890s.
Paperback, Little Black Classics, #66, 56 pages
Published February 26th 2015 by Penguin Classics (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Pair of Silk Stockings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pair of Silk Stockings

Stephanie
I read and enjoyed The Awakening about a year ago and it continues to resonate with me. When I saw this short story available on audio, I snapped it up. While I didn't like it as well as The Awakening, it was well written and left me wanting for more.

It focuses on Mrs. Sommers who has been lately down on her luck, but has recently come into a windfall of $15. She spends a few days carefully planning how she will spend this money before ultimately hitting the shops.

The story was written in 1896 a
Bookworm Sean
Feb 22, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it really liked it
We’ve all had a day they we didn’t want to end: we’ve all had a day that was so good we wanted it to exist forever. I think if anything, that is the feeling this remarkable short story captures. Mrs Sommers has fifteen dollars, which to her is great deal of money. She treats herself to a lovely pair of silk stockings and, then later, some gloves. She goes to the theatre, and when the play ends she feels like she has woken up form a dream. Evening approaches so she gets a cable car home, except ...more
Carol
The purchase of A PAIR OF SILK STOCKINGS begins a "rare" and fun little shopping spree that a mother wishes would go on forever.

Not my favorite Kate Chopin, but ok.

Liz Janet
Mar 03, 2016 Liz Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
This book was read for the #readwomen month.
Stories about women, and what they often give up for their family, and a socially acceptable life at the time as well as the role of race at the time.

-Désirée's Baby: Now my rating of five stars is mostly because of this story, which is my favourite of all her short stories after I read it at school right before we were made to read her novel The Awakening. This tiny story deals with miscegenation in Louisiana during the antebellum period, and how th
Renee M
Deceptively simple. A perfect little story about the choices most women have made through the centuries. Family First. Often to the detriment of self.

The heroine has one luxurious day to herself, not taking anything away from loved ones, but merely spending a bit of unaccounted money on herself, a bit of time to her own needs. There's a longing here with which we can all identify. It is a powerful story even in our times. I cannot imagine how it must have resonated in hers.
Hugo
Jun 18, 2016 Hugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Desta colecção gostei especialmente dos contos: Um par de meias de seda, O sonho de uma hora, Um cavalheiro de Bayon Têche e O bebé de Desirée.
Duane
A smile provoking short story from Kate Chopin. It's universal and timeless. Mrs. Sommers, frugal and conscientious Mrs. Sommers, suddenly finds herself with a few extra dollars, and she must decide how to spend it. Of course she knows that she should spend it on her children and she thinks through the items that they need. But out shopping, she inadvertently lays her hand on a pair of silk stockings, and they are on sale so she buys them. Well, one thing leads to another and Mrs. Sommers has ...more
Rachel
3 STARS FOR "A PAIR OF SILK STOCKINGS" BY KATE CHOPIN

A wonderful short story by Kate Chopin featuring a woman stuck between the restraints of poverty and asserting her own sense of freedom and agency.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
A beautiful little collection of short stories. The subject matter is varied, but all focus on women in different stations of society and times of life. Chopin has a real mastery of the short-story format, and each tale feels fully formed and vivid - though some are only 3 or 4 tiny pages long.

The whole 'book' is 56 pages long, the perfect size to read while I was waiting at the hairdresser. These little black Penguins are going to be a permanent fixture in my handbag.
Saoirse Sterling
Five short stories set in Louisiana. I enjoyed these more than I imagined. The first I did not like until the end, and I was glad none of them contained any kind of hidden meaning or subtle parable, except that which was plain to see. Occasionally boredom came in to it, but it was always short-lived. Decently written, though nothing truly stood out.
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

The Awakening, and Selected Short Stories

A PAIR OF SILK STOCKINGS
THE LOCKET
A REFLECTION
Vale
I racconti di Kate Chopin sono stupefacenti per il nitore della narrazione, per l'uso della parola che sottende l'analisi psicologica e accompagna l'evoluzione dei sentimenti dei personaggi. Il tema principale è l'emancipazione femminile dal mondo maschile: paterno e maritale. Ad essere sinceri, l'uomo non si connota come elemento negativo, non c'è una critica diretta, ma è colui che nasconde la vera essenza delle protagoniste; nasconde e soffoca i moti interiori, i desideri delle donne che dice ...more
Ailsa
Nov 11, 2015 Ailsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
"... a poignant wish, a powerful longing that the cable car would never stop anywhere but go on with her forever."

Perfect little read for the train ride to and from work. My favourite story was the first Desiree's Baby, after reading it I had to check what year it was written in. It must of been absolutely sensational at the time. I must remember to read more of this author.
Yara (The Narratologist)
Mini Review:

I have been meaning to read The Awakening for years and for some reason never got around to it, so when I saw this Little Black Classic, I figured that it would be a good temporary compromise. I was intrigued by the four stories in this collection, each with an engaging premise, but I am mostly even more interested to see what Chopin can do with a full-length novel.
Roisin
May 14, 2015 Roisin rated it liked it
I'm not familiar with Kate Chopin's work, but I am glad that I read this. Chopin is an American author and these stories were published in Vogue and other magazines between 1892-1897.

There are five stories in this short book:

'Désirée's Baby', about identity, racial heritage, in particular miscegenation (racial mixing via marriage or cohabitation), as it used to be known in America.

'Miss McEnders', concerning a woman who judges others by her own narrow moral point of view,

'The Story of an Hour',
Mirte
Apr 14, 2015 Mirte rated it liked it
I thought I'd never read anything by Kate Chopin, and her most famous novel, "The Awakening", has been on my to-read list since forever. So I figured reading this little black classic would be a good start to get to know this author.

Then I found out I'd actually read one of the stories in this booklet already, supposedly for one of my early literature courses at uni, just like "The Yellow Wallpaper". "Desiree's Baby" is a strong, shocking story on racism; the indirectness of the matter, not pert
Yoana
Without meaning to, I've started 2015 on a kick of short story collections by women, and they've all been excellent so far. This is a very small collection of 5 short stories by Chopin, who I knew only by name before I bought it. They seem simple but run deep, like all good short stories, and explore issues of race, societal hierarchy and its oppressive mechanisms, and women's lot in the world.

I'd single out the title story - it's poignant, and made even more so by the realisation that it sound
Misha
Jan 16, 2016 Misha rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! These stories seem very simple at first, but, often on the very last page, a literary punch is delivered that makes you realise it is more meaningful than you originally thought.
These short stories are manage to make an impact in a very small amount of space which is extremely impressive. I was also impressed with the issues dealt with in 19th century writings, with black and mixed main characters, women who have been deceived by the men closest to them, a critique of the historical v
Sheila
This short story, and its message, could have been written today, even though it was written over 100 years ago. And it could have been titled, "How to come into some extra money, and spend it all on yourself in 1 afternoon". This story can often be found online, or in collections of Kate Chopin stories such as The Awakening and Selected Stories
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
A touching story. A woman,well-off in the past but left to struggle after marriage,comes upon 15 dollars unexpectedly. She decides to spend it for herself. In this story,we can see the picture of a woman who hasn't taken care of any needs of herself for a while. In her daily struggles,she even forgets to have her luncheon. A true picture of real life.
Emily
May 12, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I read The Awakening in 12th grade and remember it as angry and exquisite, but I haven't read Chopin since; it's good to see how her project (is that fair? do I just mean her talent?) is equally on display in a story five pages long.
Sebrina
Mar 08, 2015 Sebrina rated it it was amazing
This wasn't what I expected. I'm not sure why I thought it would be different. I suppose I hadn't read the back as well as I thought. Either way, I enjoyed the five shorts that were presented. The twists pleasing, and heart-wrenching in certain places.
Becky
Jun 04, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this small book!! Love, love, love Kate Chopin's writing and characters, but I wouldn't say the writing is excellent.
Vendela
Feb 06, 2016 Vendela rated it really liked it
i like chopin - very much a product of her time, but often very intelligently interrogating some of what was then seen as 'natural'.
Aldeena
Apr 03, 2015 Aldeena rated it it was amazing
Deceptively simple and quietly powerful. Five stories about breakdown: of ideas, beliefs, thoughts, routines, life. Beautifully written.
Peter
Oct 27, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it
Having approached this with my mind fixed on the fact this would be terrible, it was nice to be proved wrong.
This is a fine selection of stories, each one has a thougtful ending. The title story of this gem is wonderful, we've all gone out with some extra cash with the best of intentions and well...

Would definately recommend.
Grace Messimer
Dec 01, 2016 Grace Messimer rated it really liked it
I thought this was really progressive for the time and a really interesting night take on a normally "boring" housewife and mother, and kind of reminiscent of the modern abandoned-by-mother trope. Kind of an insight on the feelings of the mother (in this case, selfishness.)
Trish
Oct 31, 2016 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Short but sweet story by Kate Chopin, though I still think "The Story of an Hour" is her best short fiction.
Filipa
Short and sweet, a lovely story of evasion, on a normal shopping day.
Ashlyn
Oct 19, 2016 Ashlyn rated it really liked it
A very short read. Listened to the audiobook, and it was interesting.
  • Miss Brill
  • The Old Nurse's Story (Little Black Classics, #39)
  • Circe and the Cyclops (Little Black Classics, #70)
  • Woman Much Missed
  • The Reckoning (Little Black Classics, #48)
  • How a Ghastly Story Was Brought to Light by a Common or Garden Butcher's Dog (Little Black Classics, #22)
  • Come Close (Little Black Classics, #74)
  • The Figure in the Carpet
  • The Beautifull Cassandra (Little Black Classics, #33)
  • The Eve of St Agnes
  • The Madness of Cambyses (Little Black Classics, #78)
  • The Great Fire of London (Little Black Classics, #47)
  • A Hippo Banquet
  • A White Heron
  • Sindbad the Sailor (Little Black Classics, #54)
  • Kasyan from the Beautiful Lands
  • Mrs Rosie and the Priest
  • Alone on the Beach at Night
Kate Chopin was an American novelist and short-story writer best known for her startling 1899 novel, The Awakening. Born in St. Louis, she moved to New Orleans after marrying Oscar Chopin in 1870. Less than a decade later Oscar's cotton business fell on hard times and they moved to his family's plantation in the Natchitoches Parish of northwestern Louisiana. Oscar died in 1882 and Kate was ...more
More about Kate Chopin...