Start by marking “Lila Black 02. Unter Strom (Quantum Gravity, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lila Black 02. Unter Strom (Quantum Gravity, #2)

Lila Black 02. Unter Strom (Quantum Gravity #2)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,262 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Die Sphäre von Daemonia ist eine Welt voll dunkler Magie und tödlicher Gefahren. Kaum der geeignete Ort also für eine anständige junge Dame - und damit genau richtig für die coole Spezialagentin Lila Black...
Published January 31st 2008 by Blanvalet (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lila Black 02. Unter Strom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lila Black 02. Unter Strom

Jan 06, 2011 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason Pettus
May 19, 2009 Jason Pettus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography []. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

So once again, it's time for me to pen a single essay concerning an entire series of genre books; because once again I'm tackling a combination of back-titles and a new title from our good friends at genre publisher Pyr, who earlier this year sent me an entire giant box full of cool-looking books mer
Mar 16, 2009 Guy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, there is now no doubt: Robson just can't write very well. Despite being disappointed by the first book in the series I was willing to give her another chance... but in my library it is two strikes and you are out. Strike two.
Michael Mcclelland
I'd hoped by Book 2 of this series that the heavy lifting (describing the multiverse, races and philosophies, development of the identities of and relationships between the main characters and the reader, etc) had been done, and that subsequent books would dwell more on an actual storyline. Alas, there are more worlds to know, more creatures to draw within our circle and only by book-end do we get a concrete and purposeful vision for the reader to hang their hat upon.

It's not easy-going for the
3.5 stars. I like that the worlds got a lot more complex. It not quite the simple elves, demons, fairies anymore, there are lot more layers. Maybe a few too many layers, there are an awful lot of characters floating around but not a ton of character development. It isn't terrible at all, just not as rich as I'd like. Also, it doesn't quite connect emotionally as much as I'd like, which made me dock it about half a point. But I still like Lila a lot, and I like Zal more than I did in the last boo ...more
Dec 21, 2011 Shara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't get me wrong, the book comes together in the end, despite the billions of maddening questions and unresolved subplots. But I enjoyed it. Emotionally, it resolved, even if events didn't. I still find myself confused as to particular details due to my reading of the text, but I'm not too upset, because I'm pretty certain Robson will explain them all (even if it is in a rather roundabout way) in the next book(s). Plus this is the kind of story I see myself sitting down and reading over again ...more
Neon Snake
Yeeeeah, I dunno. Glancing down at the other reviews, I see that lots of people have evidently enjoyed it. I think I was just struggling to concentrate and to take it in - I was listening on audio rather than reading, and for most of the book, I was finding myself without the faintest idea of what was going on or why. This is obviously fairly common with audios if I'm concentrating on driving, but usually the plot sinks in, or I'm invested enough to rewind to work out what I've missed. With this ...more
Apr 18, 2014 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-once-owned
In Keeping it Real we met Lila, Miss Cyborg Protector of the Year and Zal, Mister Improbable Elf Rocker. Lila was to protect Zal, Zal just had to stay was pretty simple at first. So of course things had to go hairy real quick, causing all sorts of problems (not the least of which Lila reuniting with the Elf who messed up her body to begin with) and ending all sorts of problems.

Selling Out, the second book, at least grants the fact that Lila is getting a crappy job with little chance o
Nev Percy
Aug 02, 2011 Nev Percy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Justina Robson is on top form with this Lila Black series. Don't be put off by the genre-crossover 'pitch' of cyber-babe meets elves and fairies and magic and what-not -- it's really good stuff!

The writing is incredibly tight, and the various otherwordly goings-on are as lean as befits frantic action but have the internal consistency to suggest a really well thought out basis. In several places I've read through, breathless and only half-understanding what's occurring, but knowing that this is a
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 01, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audible
These books are distinctly Sci-Fi rather than Urban Fantasy, for all they include elves, demons, ghosts, etc. This is one case where the cover art enhances the contents by cueing you into the potential genre-misdirect—i.e. the cover screams Sci-Fi and that's all to the good.

This book probably deserved 3.5 rather than four stars. Though well-written and with deeply realized characters, it was more disjointed than the first book and included long diversions into alternate viewpoints. Still, I appr
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
Full review at For Your Literary Pleasure

I liked this more than the first. I think it was the demons and Daemonia. They were all fun, games and killing people. I loved the nuances on color that existed in their world and that they didn't worry themselves into knots. They love living life and this series needed a little more pizzazz to spice it up. I was intrigued by Teazle, he was obviously drawn to Lila and there was more explanation to their possible relationship in comparison to Zal. By that
Mar 07, 2010 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The second in the Quantum Gravity sequence, six years after the Quantum Bomb has broken down the walls between realities, special agent Lila Black has returned from her first assignment to the Elven lands and is immediately sent to Hell, in more ways than one.

What I loved about the first book in this series, Keeping It Real, was the heroine. Lila is a wonderful character, and not just because she's a one-woman nuclear-powered army. She's a fully rounded person, trying to come to terms with the a
This is the second book in the Quantum Gravity series by Justina Robson. I liked the first book really well, but I wasn't as impressed with this book. The plot was too hacked up, and the storylines that the different characters followed seemed unrelated. Despite that, the world is still really intriguing and the characters re-joined at the end of the book making me want to read more about them. I listened to this on audio book, and while the audio book was okay, it wasn't the greatest reading I' ...more
Definitely not the sort of series where on can jump right in on the second book. Lots of different POV characters, no explanation of why you should care about them, and little indication that their stories will eventually tie together. Happily, I had read the previous book.

Continues to be decent, although the theme of this book seems to be that the protagonist avoids critical self-reflection and seeks life-threatening situations so that she needn't think about other things too much, and it times
The flip side of the Elves are the Demons, and it's an interesting to orient alongside Lila to this wide open culture. Perfect for a woman so repressed, the scar tissue is being torn from one than one of Lila's hidden wounds. Zal and Malachi are up to their own adventures, but truthfully, I am impatient every time the story takes me away from Lila.

Lila spiralsndown into her own Hell, and her crisis of soul has lessnto do with loathing her mechanised body (as in book one), as with facing the grea
Apr 09, 2015 Minna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Henkilöt olivat tämänkin kirjan suola kuten sarjan ensimmäisenkin. Napakkaa dialogia ja purevaa huumoria. Mutta. Itse kirjan maailma tai pikemmin maailmat pursuivat tällä kertaa yli hilseen. Välillä en ihan oikeasti pysynyt menossa mukana ja se sai lukemisen ajoittain tökkimään. Toivotaan että kolmas osa olisi parempi ja hiukkasen hillitympi.
M. D. Parkhurst
Aug 31, 2014 M. D. Parkhurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than the first. This book takes you to more worlds, gives more mystery to Lila's "uniqueness" and gives some of Zal's backstory. The differences between the worlds becomes defined, dangerous. Overall the book is a fun adventure and easy read.
Apr 09, 2009 Nicky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a curl up with a cup of tea and ignore the real world book, it's so entirely fantastical. There are several strands joined together around the main cyborg chick Lila Black - Is she selling out or merely learning to love herself - bit of a cliche that one I guess, but engagingly done, with a trip into Demonia, hell and the underworld.

I think I was more interested in the circling characters and what Robson did with them - Zal, the elf of shadow/light, part demon, crossing over i
Kristýna Obrdlíková
Stále skvělé prostředí, stále empatičtí hrdinové a citlivý jazyk vyprávění. Scházela mi určitá ucelenost příběhu a jakási vnitřní motivovanost toho, co se dělo. Druhý díl z pěti no. :-)
It did not catch my interest as much as the first book, and I was sort of willing myself to get to the end.

Saying that though, I will read the next book!

A light, easy quick read :)
Kelly Flanagan
Jan 07, 2015 Kelly Flanagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as the first book of the series. Too tired to write review tonight
Apr 19, 2016 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was way too choppy to focus on. End of the series for me.
Feb 15, 2015 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It worries me that I'm starting to find these highly relevant to my life.
The instances of "wait, am I supposed to know what's going on here?" are far fewer, but still happening.
Jun 02, 2013 Kara-karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a phrase to describe this sci-fi slash fantasy read: bat-shit crazy. If I could still follow book #1, this one had a lot of infodumps and incredibly detailed complex worlds. My head was spinning, but I still enjoyed Lila and Co. adventures. She is a secret agent and a cyborg falling for a dark elf/demon. What's not to love? Add a loyal fae friend, different dimensions and incredible vicious beauty of demon realms, and you have one mesmerizing pain in the butt of a book. Similar reads: n ...more
Susan Treat
Aug 05, 2014 Susan Treat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book wanted more.
Jun 08, 2014 Sigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like Thingamajig :)
Feb 01, 2016 Macha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and a half stars
Jul 09, 2015 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fromlibrary, sci-fi
Sometimes a bit confused this could have done with me revisiting the first book in the series to check on relationships and other issues.

Lila Black is a great character and in this story she ends up in the Demon Dimension. She;s still dealing with the issues brought about by her cyberwear and her new lifestyle and the men in her life.

I like this series and really will have to purchase copies for my own library.
cyborg meets fantasy.

it was ok - the world(s) are interesting, the heroine a little too angsty and oblivious, the ending is (relatively) happy.

*shrug* i'd read the next in the series, but i wouldnt actively look for it

edit: rereading in Sept 2011, i liked this book a lot more - i liked that the heroine was a fully 3d character (like the others) with her own agenda and rationalisations and blind spots.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Selling Out is another action-packed, interesting book that expands on Lila's life, as we get a taste of her human side and the family she left behind, and she starts to understand a few truths about why she was really made/saved from death. The spirit of the elf she carries inside (Tath) becomes like an inner voice that both helps and frustrates her, and she even gets herself an imp companion.
  • Code Noir (Parrish Plessis, #2)
  • Wolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Wanton Fire (Horde Wars, #2)
  • The Trade of Queens (The Merchant Princes, #6)
  • Harmony
  • Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2)
  • Hypérion 1
  • Voidfarer: A Tale of the Moonworlds Saga
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)
  • A World Too Near (Entire and the Rose, #2)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
Justina is from Leeds, a city in Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to write and always did. Other things sometimes got in the way and sometimes still do...but not too much.
More about Justina Robson...

Quantum Gravity (5 books)
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)
  • Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4)
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)

“Max smiled, the smile of comfort, the one you give to someone who's made a big mistake and is suffering the consequences, the one that doesn't help but shows you understand.” 4 likes
“No duelling. No summoning of imps or other manifestations of elements potentially damaging to the records, including but not limited to: elementals, imps, sprites, ifrits, goblins, vile maidens, elohim, and major, minor and inferior spawn. No praying. No cursing, except by staff. The library is closed on public holidays. Donations welcome."
-Demonia Library”