Start by marking “Drink Cultura: Chicanismo” as Want to Read:
Drink Cultura: Chicanismo

Drink Cultura: Chicanismo

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  410 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This book is about the Chicano experience of living within, between and sometimes outside of two cultures--the damnation and salvation, and the celebration of it all.

"In some ways a book Erma Bombeck might have written, that is, if she were from El Paso, dressed in Tony Lama boots, and full fledged member of raza."--Gary Soto

"A passionately lyrical lección para todos about
Published July 1st 1992 by Joshua Odell Editions

To ask other readers questions about Drink Cultura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drink Cultura

Prison Writings by Leonard PeltierDevil in a Blue Dress by Walter MosleyThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
48 Reading
10th out of 68 books — 7 voters
The Kaleidoscope by Adrian MendozaZoot Suit and Other Plays by Luis ValdezVoices of a People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnInto the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto UrreaThe House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Arizona Banned Books List
63rd out of 85 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Eggleton
Nov 08, 2014 Steven Eggleton rated it liked it
I’m finding it really hard to review this book. Do I like it, or not? I don’t know. To tell you the truth, I don’t find José Antonio Burciaga to be a very entertaining writer. He’s pretty straight forward and lacks any real artistic flair, as far as I’m concerned, but what I do like is his content. He writes about a seldom covered subculture, very dear to my heart –the Chicano; a group I belong too and often cover in my own writing.
I suppose what rubs me the wrong way, is his approach. To an ou
Kathleen
Jan 09, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2010, nonfiction
This book is a quick read with 26 chapters that reflect on Chicano history, language, family values, and cultural norms. It also includes chapters on the author's own experiences growing up Chicano in the United States, having lived in Texas, California, and Washington, D.C., and having traveled to Mexico and Spain. His writing is flavored with Spanish and Spanglish expressions and slang. It's a great blend of personal and Chicano history. A great read for Americans who work with Hispanic popula ...more
Vonnie
Jan 18, 2016 Vonnie rated it really liked it
I bought this book many, many years ago while I was an undergrad. I graduated with a B.A. in Chicano and Latino Studies, so the theme of this book was the main focus of what I studied in college. I almost forgot I had this book until I was sorting things out of my book boxes at the beginning of the new year. I became very excited when I found it because it brought back memories of everything I held dear in my late teens and early twenties. I had high hopes for this book.

This book was a compilati
Ruth
Aug 17, 2007 Ruth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Spanish Teachers
Author has strong knowledge of Chicano history. It gets a bit repetative. The chapters are short and would serve as great conversation pieces for students.
Andrew Hanna
Dec 02, 2008 Andrew Hanna rated it it was amazing
Mi vida... This book is well written and very true if you have lived the life of a Mexican American. The insights and humor ....
Michelle
Jan 03, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review, although I liked it and would recommend it because of the content and subject matter, I didn't find his writing style engaging. It felt a little too basic at times, which makes me think this would be a great read for a young adult looking to learn more about Chicano history. It's a good starting off point.

In terms if the subject, it appeared to be well researched and offered new insights into "common knowledge".
Alexis Bay
Dec 17, 2015 Alexis Bay rated it it was amazing
This book is a treat to read at the beginning, with humor and interesting stories, which Jose draws you in by to then smoothly transition into more deeper, heavier, critical chapters. The ending is more tender and again finishes off with his brand of humor, a brief but informative, memorable ride of a book. I highly recommend it.
Clarisa
Jul 10, 2016 Clarisa rated it really liked it
Not on all levels, but on most levels was it relatable and humorous. I already wear being a Chicana proudly, but now even more so as some of the author's words struck me with clarifying realization on why a certain tradition or custom is what it is for a person with Mexican descent living in the United States.
Brandon Teran
Apr 27, 2016 Brandon Teran rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read - a collection of essays and stories of the reality of Chicanismo, yet I found myself stretching out my reading of this book for enjoyment's sake. Burciaga's writing is a witty conversation with the reader, sometimes wily, but in the end deeply reflective of the importance and legacy of the Chicano culture.
Gabriel Oak
Burciaga's part memoir, part essay collection meditates on what it means to be Chicano. Often playful, Burciaga shows his roots in the comedy group Culture Clash. A good introduction to chicanismo for undergrads or high school students.
Dina
May 20, 2014 Dina rated it really liked it
There was a huge connection between his stories and my life. Burciaga has a wide knowledge about the Chicano culture and expresses it in funny stories that I can relate too. Definitely recommend this book.
Kookie
Feb 28, 2016 Kookie rated it liked it
Most of the short essays were too specific to the author's experience as a Chicano, which is fine, but I would have preferred if he'd spoken more to the broader Chicano experience.
Ricky Arellano
Apr 19, 2014 Ricky Arellano rated it really liked it
This book has a great look on the chicano culture and it's definition. it also had very funny parts. it's a great read !!!
Gutierrez Ibarra
Feb 10, 2016 Gutierrez Ibarra rated it it was amazing
This book was very relatable and recommended it to everyone. Even my parents were laughing about the anecdotes.
Alex
Jul 15, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
DRINK CULTURA unfolds as an interesting explorations and recollection of Chicano-related anecdotes, but historical and personal, which Burciaga's narrative delivers with a zest that only a Latino voice can. This book will be appreciated by any reader with the smallest inclination to learn more about Chicanismo and that love-hate relationship between the Mexican and American cultures.
Samantha Prado
Jun 14, 2013 Samantha Prado rated it really liked it
Beautiful stories that allow us to further analyze our Chicano heritage. Wonderful book! Due to its content, it can be a supplemental book for teaching Chicano studies, History of the U.S, or Sociology of Latinos.
Norma Saldana
May 27, 2012 Norma Saldana rated it really liked it
Very interesting vignettes about Tiburcio Vasquez,Ernesto Galarza and the first Chicano actor hired by Luis Valdez for the Teatro Campesino, also, very interesting are his stories set in El Paso and Juarez.
Jon Hernandez
Jul 24, 2013 Jon Hernandez rated it liked it
Shelves: chicano
It was interesting! It was a quick read and pretty entertaining. The material is light and easy to get through. The history isn't too heavy but it's great to get a basic idea of what's happened.
Sasha Lopez-Ramirez
Aug 28, 2010 Sasha Lopez-Ramirez rated it liked it
This book was short and interestingly informative. I liked how the author spoke to the reader as if he were present in the room, sharing stories of his life.
Aliza Rivera
Aug 02, 2013 Aliza Rivera rated it it was amazing
This was a fast read but very witty and at times felt like he was talking about my life is some of the short essays. This is such a great book.
Gilberto
Jun 03, 2009 Gilberto rated it it was amazing

Batgirl
Everything! Especially the feeling of not being able to be part of one culture without having to disappoint the other.
kaity
Nov 29, 2007 kaity rated it really liked it
Burciaga's slice-of-life reflections are extremely accessible. He was somebody I would have liked to hang out with.
Frannie Cheska
Nov 07, 2013 Frannie Cheska rated it really liked it
my favorite story was about him, his son, and the dreams/dejavu/premonitions. very good
Jossue Vega Bazan
Dec 05, 2012 Jossue Vega Bazan rated it it was amazing
A must for Chicano activists, Chicano students, or Chicanos in general.
Cindy
May 14, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Rich, fun, and engaging history told through humorous prose.
Denisse
May 01, 2008 Denisse rated it really liked it
Really cool, especially considering when it was written.
Sarita
Feb 28, 2008 Sarita rated it really liked it
I loved the chapter on pendejismo
Elizabeth
Oct 27, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cultured people
Me like this one! haha
  • Red Hot Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Being Young and Latino in the United States
  • Zoot Suit and Other Plays
  • Loverboys
  • Woodcuts of Women
  • Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years: Resources for Teaching about the Impact of the Arrival of Columbus in the Americas
  • ... y no se lo tragó la tierra ... and the Earth Did Not Devour Him
  • Two Badges: The Lives of Mona Ruiz
  • The Revolt of the Cockroach People
  • Ask a Mexican
  • Chicana Falsa
  • The Manufactured Crisis: Myths, Fraud, And The Attack On America's Public Schools
  • Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
  • Loving in the War Years
  • Nobody's Son: Notes from an American Life
  • The Republic of East L.A.
José Antonio "Tony" Burciaga (1940 – October 7, 1996) was a Chicano artist, poet, and writer who explored issues of Chicano identity and American society.

(from Wikipedia)
More about José Antonio Burciaga...