The Crystal Drop

The Crystal Drop

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  10 reviews
It is 2011, and a terrible drought has struck the world. With their parents gone, Megan and Ian make a life-threatening journey of survival to their uncle's distant settlement.
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Crystal Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crystal Drop

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeHalf Magic by Edward EagerThe Moffats by Eleanor EstesGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightA Walk Out of the World by Ruth Nichols
The Out-of-Print/Backlist Challenge
128th out of 161 books — 38 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthy1984 by George OrwellAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Apocalypse: It's Over, Dude.
274th out of 347 books — 640 voters

More lists with this book...

Gale
SCARS ON THE LAND--AND IN HER HEART

Hughes depicts a grim but ultimately hopeful future for decent people in the Canadian Rockies. Her story, set in the early 21st century, paints an arid world that has been all but destroyed by mankind's arrogance, ambition and blatant disregard for the balances of Nature:--Mother Earth, racial equilibrium and even the distortion of morality in general. Despite the young protagonists, this is not necessarily a Young Adult novel, for the author develops several...more
Stephanie A.
For the most part, it was a fairly engaging survivalist/quasi-post-apocalypse story set in the not-too-distant future, so it was believable. That said, as soon as I saw the cover, it triggered an awful memory from the story I've been trying to suppress for several years now:

(view spoiler)...more
Glen
This book was read to me during junior high, by a teacher whose name as since escaped my memory. But I never forgot the story, or the patience and care my teacher took in reading to her classroom every day.

The Crystal Drop takes place around the country where I grew up -- Southern Alberta. It is a story of loss and hope; I remember one astonishing scene, which takes place at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, where the two main characters meet some unlikely allies, but it turns out to be more than th...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Hard to tell for sure how old these kids are, but clues about second grade and Ian being ten make me think Megan is 16. In any case, I'm a little disturbed by the implausibility of it all, how they knew all this survival stuff like skinning gophers & getting out of quicksand etc. I guess post-apocalyptic adventure just isn't really my thing. I would have thought other kids would have liked it more though. Well, I really did like the episode at Buffalo Jump and the characters there, so an ext...more
Cupof Tea
This book was difficult to categorize. Much of what Monica Hughes writes is science fiction, but I would call this more speculative fiction... Written in 1992, set in 2011, in a bleak future that never was. Northern Alberta in a drought, the farmland now too alkaline to grow, and two children alone in uninhabitable territory.

Many themes and topics I enjoyed about this book... a journey dealing with survival, Canadian aboriginal legends, and environmental problems.

At times it reminded me of The...more
smalls
This book grabs you right away. An eleven year old girl helps her mother give birth to her new brother, only to have them both die. It is now up the her to get her seven year old brother and herself to her uncles house in another state. It is set in the near future and suggests that the world has run out of water, and has destroyed most of the land. They are up against Survivalists, and wild animals as they travel alone. Very good story, for a young readers book.

Stacie
I read this book in late 2005 or early 2006 as a curricular read in middle school. I was one of very few people who read it - everyone else selected books that were more appealing. Their loss! I don't remember all of what happened in the book, but it was very emotional at times, and I would read it again.
Debbie
Set in Alberta, Canada. Without being a spoiler, a couple of concerns include the ending and the section on the Blackfoot tribe which includes some especially disconcerting pieces.
YorkshireSue
Jan 21, 2008 YorkshireSue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, YA readers
Powerful book which totally turned me on to Monica Hughes's writing. Strong, evocative writing with a compelling storyline.
Mia Cruz
A nice book
Ryan Hooper
Ryan Hooper marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Toni Pennicott
Toni Pennicott marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B...more
More about Monica Hughes...
Invitation to the Game The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1) Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1) The Guardian of Isis (Isis, #2) The Isis Pedlar (Isis, #3)