Start by marking “Sea Swept” as Want to Read:
Sea Swept

Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  47,262 Ratings  ·  909 Reviews
International best-selling author Nora Roberts presents the first in a quartet of a novels that deal with the lives and loves of four brothers living in Chesapeake Bay
Published 2002 by piatkus (first published January 1998)

jenjn79
Jul 28, 2008 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers / Nora Roberts fans
What is it about Nora Roberts' Quinn brothers that makes them so special? They're rough and tumble, they swear a lot, they like to be in charge, they're all good-looking. But I think it's the fact that they were once all troubled boys who were saved by two good people who instilled in them a sense of family, love, and loyalty that lasted even when they were grown and their adopted parents gone.

Sea Swept tells the story of the first of those boys, Cameron. He was the first troubled boy that Ray a
Mo
May 03, 2016 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

A nice read but nothing overwhelming. I think the reason that this did not "wow" me more is that it didn't have the "suspense/mystery" element that that other books that I have read by her had!

A champion boat racer, Cameron Quinn traveled the world spending his winnings on champagne and women. But when his dying father called him home to care for Seth, a troubled young boy not unlike Cameron once was, his life changed overnight ...

“You don’t want to get in the habit of overusing
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 4.5~4.75/5 stars

This is the second book I've read from Nora Roberts and I was not disappointed. Whenever I saw Nora's books in the bookstore my first thought was: murder case! (Not saying that all her books are about murder cases, but somehow i have that luck of picking up every single one with a killer in it). This time it's different. This is a story of a family - three adopted brothers who, after the death of their father, accept to
Julianna
Aug 31, 2015 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Contemporary Romance w/Family Drama
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Until now, I had never read a Nora Robert's book. Yeah, I know, how can I, a self-proclaimed romance junkie, not have read any books from the queen of the romance genre? Honestly, I don't know, but now, I've rectified that with Sea Swept, the first in her Chesapeake Bay Saga. I'd heard wonderful things about this series, so I thought it would be a great one to start my foray into Ms. Robert's almost overwhelming backlist. It was a very good story that worked exceptionally
Fani
DNF for the second time. At least now I reached almost 90% before giving up:) It's not bad, but I really can't get over the heroine screwing one of her 'cases' -very unprofessional & unethical- and the complete lack of tension between them. Not sexual tension, there was tons of that, but conflict. I mean, it's a story of boy meets girl, girl likes boy, they start dating, having sex and then realizing it was more serious than they first thought. No problems, no big fights, no differences betw ...more
Valerie
My first book by Nora Roberts was "Vision in White". I actually read the entire series (Bride Quartet) since I bought the 4 books at the same time. I liked it but there was something lacking, something that didn't capture me as other stories do.
I was even reluctant to read Nora Roberts again but she has so many books and she's considered one of the best romance authors, so how could I not give her books another try?
I looked through her series and found the Chesapeake Bay Saga. The summary of S
Rachel
Sep 22, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glamdring

*Review without spoilers*

“Don’t mix up who I am and what I am,” she told him quietly. “You have to be honest with me, or the rest of it means nothing.”

He was on his knees on the platform as he spoke, using his hands to show her. And still leaving her in the dark.
But it didn’t matter whether she understood the technique he described or not. She understood him. He might not realize it yet, but he had fallen in love with this place, and with the work he would do here.

This was at least my fourth r
Jana
The main thing I object is, cliché. Am I that stupid? Yes, I am. I really enjoy romances, quick light fix of alpha male and alpha female, just it’s hard to find an intelligent romance. But it is. Most of them are so badly written, that every time when I see so many 5 stars, I think about the readers and the old lady and her cats metaphor. Don't you have any whatsoever criteria if you rate THIS book 5 stars?

Why do they have to be so transparent? Quick fix doesn't necessarily need to be shallow a
Jacob Proffitt
A decent story and a fun setting, but I really hated the romance in this one. Roberts is good and this one was written in the late 90s and that's about the time I have designated in my head when I don't expect a true loser or something I won't enjoy. And that expectation stands—it's a good story and I cared about most of the characters and the setting is outstanding.

But I kind of hated Cam. He's a selfish jerk from start to finish and he gets things his own way, far, far too often. And I hate th
Alex is The Romance Fox
I'm going thru yet another Nora Roberts "phase" and reading her books again.

I have always loved this series and Cameron's HEA is one of my favorites. He's just as a fabulous alpha-hero. Playboy boat racer who is suddenly faced with great changes in his life, after his adopted father's death.

Nora Roberts writes the most amazing family sagas and this is one of those. Three troubled teenagers who are adopted by the Quinn's who are having to deal with Seth, who was in the process of being adopted be
Mara
My keyboard died on me today, and since I'm now using the on-screen keyboard (which is annoying me), I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

I can see why Nora Roberts gets her spots on the bestseller lists: she writes the kind of romance that, in order to appeal to the masses, turns out so generic and familiar. It's like you've already read this book, that's how cliched it is. There are all the obligatory elements: a family with issues, dark pasts, precocious kids, cute dogs, a small town
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
This felt like a surface book to me. There was no depth at all. The characters had very little development, and Anna and Cam had no chemistry at all, so I have no idea why the got together. Anna was annoying and got mad every two seconds for no reason. Anna's sob story did not ring true, and felt fake and forced, as if put there to make her seem real, when it had the opposite effect. Cam's sob story was never discussed; it just loomed in the distance for basically no reason.

I felt nothing for t
Glamdring
*buddy listening with Blacky <333*

Here's the link to my previous review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Foxfire
Jan 27, 2015 Foxfire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I liked the writing, and enjoyed the interaction between the Quinn brothers, but I could not relate to the romance.

Problems:

In the opening scene we meet the hero, Cam, as a love-them-and-leave-them type who uses women and tosses them aside like used tissues.

A bit later we meet Anna, a dedicated social worker who takes on the case of Cam's young foster brother.

After Anna has made two professional visits to the Quinn home, Cam turns up uninvited at her apartment late in the evening. The two e
Freda Malone
Aug 25, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is your typical romance novel and I like romance novels ONLY when I'm in the mood for one. This one was a good one. Made me feel good. This being the first in a series, I'm not sure I will jump on the next one until I'm in the mood for more romance.

The Quinn's, Cameron, Phillip and Ethan, have promised their dying father that they will take care of the newest member of the Quinn's, Seth, who is 10 years old. An abused young child who simply got caught in the crosshairs of a vindictive coll
Brenda (b)
Jul 31, 2008 Brenda (b) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Isis_FG
I loved this book! I'm glad I decided to read it after seeing Isis_FG's review of it. The interaction between the brothers was wonderful and, in my opinion, made the whole story worthwhile. I felt the romance between Cameron and Anna actually came second place to the story of the Quinn family and that was the perfect way it should be. It's about Cameron finding his true path in life and embracing it. And, of course, he finds love for Anna and Seth too. I'm anxious to read the rest of the series.
Vi
Jan 28, 2016 Vi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, pb, i-o-a-c, re-read

Originally posted on Gone With The Books

Sea Swept is the first book of the Chesapeake Bay Saga. It tells how three grown up men fight for their new brother, what they do and what they have to sacrifice to achieve their goal: to keep their fathers legacy alive.
Beautiful:

Nora Roberts has a very unique way of telling stories. Sea Swept is no exception. With sensitiveness and a fine humor, this novel shows every aspect, a reader wants to see in a good book.

Sea Swept is the very wonderful and beautiful writte
Esther
May 07, 2014 Esther rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am very concerned for this couple. (view spoiler) ...more
Jane Stewart
Solid, well done romance with good relationship development. Racer gives up the fast life to help a foster child.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
College professors teaching romance-fiction courses assigned this book to their students (per Romantic Times magazine Sep 2009). For that reason I thought I’d try it. It has a different take on the romance formula which I liked. Many or most romance novels have a tough alpha male, single not wanting to settle down. Then he meets a female he can’t resist, falls in lo
Shelly
Mar 29, 2016 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Reviewed on 06/19/12: This is where it all began! Well, where my love affair with NR began anyway. I use to have a job where the work was so mind-numbingly boring I could listen to audio books all day. I started with the library, and since I had never read any NR yet, I picked this one at random. That was five years ago, and I've been trying to finish her backlist ever since.

I'll admit at first, I wasn't in love with our hero Cameron, nor his lady Anna. I thought Cam was a tad unlikable and Anna
valee
Oct 10, 2011 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really can't believe how AMAZING this read was! I just wish I had known way before now so I could have read it sooner! An outstanding, terrific, marvelous and extremely mind-blowing read.

Review to come later... Probably once I get over this breakdown of feelings I have been having since I started with this book, lol.

It will start saying something like this:

"If I'm already helplessly in love with the series only by reading book 1, I'm completely terrified of what's yet to come. Now I know that
Shari Kay
I was hoping I'd like this more than I did. Nora Roberts, after all IS J.D. Robb and I love her Naked in Death series. Roarke is the perfect man, Eve is tolerable, the side kicks are interesting, the crimes gritty. They aren't perfect by any means, and some are more average than others, but you connect to the characters and care about what happens to them. Not so much in SS.

Cameron is a playboy and had no desire whatsoever to change. Anna is a ball buster with a heart for her work. I was 80% in
Mitch Castro
Aug 16, 2015 Mitch Castro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave, rant-and-rave
Nora Roberts is not my first favorite author but the badass characters in this series of her were definitely the first I've ever read. This made me realize that THIS is my thing. Not the sappy romance novels or the totally erotic ones.

Cameron Quinn was my first badass encounter. At first, I didn't understand him. He made an impression on me as rude, selfish and blithe sonofabitch. But eventually, I flushed those impressions down the drain. He's just a lost-in-his-own-way family-oriented type of
Angela
This is my favorite series by Nora Roberts. I re-read it at least once a year. And it's always immensely satisfying.

To give some background, you have the Quinns (Ray and Stella) who, though they couldn't have children of their own, made a family out of three unwanted boys. Trouble-makers, damaged, and severely injured - either in body, mind, or heart, and sometimes all three, Ray and Stella took them in and made them a home. Gave them family, love, care, and a future.

When Cam is in Monaco after
Crista
Let me start out by saying that I am not a huge Nora Roberts fan. I know she is one of the queens of romance, so I'm in the minority, but I usually just do not connect with her stories. Sea Swept is definitely an exception to that rule!

This is a book that yes, is a romance...but oh it is really so much more. In some ways this book is equally a romance and a story about "family". It warms the heart AND tickles the funny bone. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

This is Book 1 of a 4 book series. This is Ca
Mariana
May 03, 2016 Mariana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It wasn't difficult to read through. Easier to read than J. D. Robb. There wasn't as much humor as I prefer in contemporary, and it felt cliched.

I guess I just don't prefer the H/H to both be sluts who both use others for sex and then toss away. I borrowed the trilogy from a friend, so I plan to give the next book a chance. Plus, of the three brothers, Cam was my least favorite. Looking forward to Ethan.
Books are my Pyrocant
Dec 31, 2015 Books are my Pyrocant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Reread December 2015. Still love it. :)

August 8, 2012. This is the first of Nora Roberts novels that I have read. I must say, are they all this great? She is a beautiful writer both technically as well as her storytelling. Sea Swept had both a strong male and female lead. All the characters were well developed. The story was easy, consistent, engaging and I felt invested. I love a beautiful romance but just as much, I love to read about brothers/men and their relationships with each other. It wa
Kathleen
I chose this book because I like stories of brothers bonding together towards a common goal. In this case, the goal is bringing up their dying dad's "son" by adoption. Seth is about 11 years old going on a hundred, carrying a load of fear, distrust, and bitterness from his abusive mother. Slowly, his big adoptive brothers Cam, Phillip, and Ethan win his heart -- and they win his. By going into a boat building business, the four brothers bond. Meanwhile, Cam falls in love with Seth's counselor fr ...more
Aideeeee
Jul 12, 2014 Aideeeee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simplón.

Entre incoherente, indecente y plano. Ya me había leído otro de la autora y es por ello que le voy a dar a esta serie el beneficio de la duda.

Sobre los detalles técnicos voy a decir que no me gustó el estilo de la narración, porque llegaba un punto en el que no sabía si el narrador estaba en la mente de uno u otro personaje.

En fin, me quedé con dos o tres dudas sobre la trama y es por eso que sigo... eso y que siento curiosidad por el 4to libro.

Hay buen morbo y eso le ganó la segunda est
Sea Swept 16 133 Apr 06, 2015 11:42PM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Sea Swept (December 2014 Book of the Month) 58 68 Apr 04, 2015 09:05PM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
  • Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Chesapeake Bay Saga (4 books)
  • Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2)
  • Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #3)
  • Chesapeake Blue (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #4)

“Please let me go."
"Anna." He lowered his brow to hers. "Don't ask me to do that, because I don't think I can live without you. Take a chance, roll the dice. Come with me.”
19 likes