Enter Whining

Enter Whining

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Enter Whining [Hardcover] Fran Drescher Fran Drescher (Author) ? Visit Amazon's Fran Drescher Page
Published February 1st 1996 by Harpercollins (first published January 1st 1996)

Lindsay
I've been a Fran Drescher fan for years. I used to love The Nanny and would try to imitate her nasal laugh for some reason. I thought that she was funny and stylish. I few years ago I read her other book Cancer Schmancer, probably because the bookstore didn't have this one. A few weeks ago I found out that they replay episodes of her show at 4 am, which of course I'm awake, and was reminded of this book so I checked it out from the library.

It doesn't go through her whole life, mostly this book i...more
The nasal laugh is what hooked me. Episode after episode, I fell in love with The Nanny & Mr. Sheffield on Monday nights. I loved everything about her- the voice, the laugh, the humor, the love, oy! I use her Jewish word terminology in sentences daily, “Look at that shistka!” “Yeah, he’s got mayjah chutzpah!” and I am sooo not Jewish! Her book cracked me up, and I read it in a New York minute. I was sad to read about her rape, which I had no idea about! I laughed at all of her stories of mee...more
Erin (Paperback Stash)
Fran Drescher has a…unique voice in the industry. I used to watch The Nanny sometimes and laugh at the antics of that bizarre household. When my friend loaned me this book, I was all on it.

It’s immediately clear the book holds a conversational tone and writing style that displays Fran’s humor. She comes across as a down to earth girl who made it big but struggled to get there. She wasn't gifted with the rare insta-success but had to work for years to grow. Her husband, Peter, is also in the sam...more
The best is when Fran makes fun of Princess Di, saying that her feet are huge and that she is a bitch on wheels. You can't say shit like that post-1997 because she is the People's Princess.
Carol
Maybe I am biased, my maiden name was Fine and my sister was a schoolteacher named Miss Fine so hearing someone yell "Miss Fine" on a sitcom hooked me. I still enjoy watching reruns of "The Nanny" on TV Land. I enjoyed learning more about her life.
Melissa Pettersson
Love this woman even more. Can't wait to read her other book Cancer Schmancer.
Andrew
Nov 05, 2012 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone ready to plotz
@frandrescher

I've been wanting to read this one for quite sometime. Meanwhile, I've been in a reading slump. Couldn't get myself to read much. Then I set a couple books on my desk, ones I wanted to read and what do ya know, had a date come over and when he saw this book, I got laid. Not!! 'Fraid, I can't say this book did THAT for me; if you've read this book or read it sometime in the future, you'll understand at the beginning and at the end of the book why I included this bupkis.

And now I must...more
Sharon Peart
Different to what I usually read and thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Funny, interesting and loved Fran's interpretation of life and her journey thus far!!
I am sad, on getting 3/4 of the way through and doing a search on where she is now..
Her relationship with her then husband was really loving, and what I would consider a miracle in the business she is in.. Unfortunately they are now divorced I think being divorced recently it really made me very sad.. But Fran & Peter did have a wonderful re...more
Sita
Feb 24, 2008 Sita rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Nanny Fran
Shelves: autobiography
Who can forget Nanny Fran with her nasally voice bordering and that bordering irritating laugh? So it was with great interest that I picked this book. It doesn't disappoint. Ms Drescher told us about her youth and her journey to Hollywood, how she happened to pitch the sitcom on an airplane sitting next to the broadcast guy and the process of getting a tv show is made, which for me is the most interesting part since at that time I was still at school learning the craft of production. She also te...more
Elyse
I LOVE Fran Drescher. This book had me laughing and loving her every second. I bought it on bn.com in the used and out of print books for a really cheap price. Fran is an amazing woman and I just adore her. I picked up her second autobiography now that her new show is on TV Land. I'm almost done with that one but it's much darker (which is a given if you read the title, Cancer Schmancer), all about her terrible doctors and her late-in-the-game cancer diagnosis, as well as her divorce and complex...more
Serena
Would have liked more anecdotes involving her and the other stars she has worked with over the years. This book is about her and her family, and her experiences. It is still I good light read with lots of photos (would have loved some of the stories behind the photos) and told in her particular voice. I am sure she had an editor, but it is believable that she actually wrote this book and not a ghost writer or assistant in her name because a lot of the stories don't go far enough into any real de...more
Leenda dela Luna
Meh. Written in 1995 so the part where she calls Princess Diane a bitch is a bitch shocking, given history.

I never watched The Nanny, which is really the main focus of the book, so it didn't capture me.

I didn't know she was the victim of a breakin/rape, which her husband was forced to watch. She only touches on the subject. I would have been very interesting in knowing more about that and all the details of how she processed, and eventually (a long time later), accepted the event.
Su Irwin
As funny as you would expect and pretty self aware and self depreciating. With the benefit of reading it soong after publishing and knowing that her fabulous husband and partner came out some years later adds a certain poignancy.
Great incite into the world of celebrity and some intimate portraits of some big stars before they were famous.
A funny and honest celebrity biography of a brave and funny lady. Still loving the Nanny re-runs all these years on.
Katy
Not nearly as candid as I thought it would be. I did love the classic Fran Drescher Flushing-Jewish slang, which is just sweet and funny, like "The Nanny." All in all, entertaining, but not as informative or enlightening as I thought it would be. It reads more like a play-by-play account of Fran's career than the fun, gossipy friend-to-friend conversation that the book jacket promises.
Jeremy
Nice book - I'm a fan of biographies and autobiographies, so I was on board with this one, plus I thing Fran D. is a hilarious woman who worked very hard to get where she got. Others may disagree with her success, but like her, and am impressed with her stick-to-itiveness. She may have painted some roses around stuff, but her message is clear - be joyous in who you are.
Virginia
Everything I could ever ask for in a light, funny memoir. Kept me laughing from the first paragraph through the name-dropping (especially through the name-dropping), right past the occasional harrowing bits, and up to the very end. Also, now I think Fran is a total doll, which of course is the point of a memoir like this. And the PICTURES! Highly recommended.
Alison
Fran Drescher is a GEM. I picked this book up for $1 at Salvo and it kept me laughing throughout. I want her to write a new one, as she got a divorce (they had been dating since they were 15!!!) about three years after the book was written. He came out and their relationship is now the basis of their new show, "Happily Divorced."
Katy G
If you base your expectations on her most famous role as The Nanny, you will get the shock of your life at Fran Drescher's witty novel "Enter Whining." Through her rough life and road to television stardom, you really get to know this quick-witted lady and her sweet countenance. An excellent surprising read.
Pam
08/29/05 #152
TITLE/AUTHOR: ENTER WHINING by Fran Drescher
Rating: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Bio, 1996, 285 pgs
COMMENTS: Fran Dreshcher was very likeable in this
account of how she started her career and found
success w/ the TV show The Nanny.
Cara
I remember this book fondly. Bird, remember when we went to Fran's book signing? I'll never forget that for as long as I live. HA! I don't actually remember much about the book. I wasn't that much of a fan, but my Bird was. :-)
Elizabeth
I love Fran Drescher. Reading her book is like getting in a good gossip session with her. It's hard for such a huge fan of hers to say anything critical about her book. Loved it!
gracie ingersoll
this book was pretty good for an autobiography. i don't usually read autobiograghies but i am glad i read this one. it was boring from time to time, but it was still a good book.
Red Macalalad
Entertaining! Fast read. I love her so this is me being a fan and just loving her more. She broke my heart and inspired me as well. Her story is just beautiful.
Amy
I didn't like this one as much as her second book. I just felt like it lacked substance. It does show a different side of Fran Drescher though, which I like.
Ally
I also happen to watch the Nanny reruns with Golden Girls. It was fun to read about that time in Fran Drescher's life, and she includes a lot of pictures.
Nicole
Easy to read, fun-filled story full of details and lots of photos. I enjoyed it and feel that I gained a new insight into this versatile actress.
Nicole MacDonald
I really enjoyed this, it offers such an insight into the woman behind the character of Fran Fine. A really good read.
Dani Moore
Wow! How different from what you would expect. Loved all the old pictures and the stories. A really, really fun read!
Ophelia London
Good, actually very good. (I recommend the book & not the audio...Drescher's voice can be a tad distracting.)
Jo-Ann Murphy
Nice light read. Ms Drescher has led a very interesting life and knows how to make light of it.
  • Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends
  • The O'Reilly Factor for Kids: A Survival Guide for America's Families
  • Doris Day: Her Own Story
  • Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • Hershey: Milton S. Hershey's Extraordinary Life of Wealth, Empire, and Utopian Dreams
Francine Joy Drescher is an American film and television actress and comedian. She is famous for her nasal voice, laugh, and Queens accent.

Fran's Facebook page:
More about Fran Drescher...
Cancer Schmancer Being Wendy The Emperor's New Clothes Music and Cancer: A Prescription for Healing 3000 Degrees/Riding the Bus with My Sister/Cancer Schmancer/The Children of Willesden Lane/A Dog Year (Today's Best Nonfiction, Vol. 5, 2002)

“Know before whom thou stands. Understand your friends for who they are, not who you wish them to be. Accept them for their flaws as well as their attributes. Turn to them for their strengths, what good stuff they can bring to your life, and forget about the rest. To ask for more only sets you up for failure.” 4 likes