Start by marking “The Ship Avenged” as Want to Read:
The Ship Avenged

The Ship Avenged (Brainship #7)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,692 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
It's ten years later, and Joat, the eleven year old techno-demon from "The Ship Avenged," is an adult herself, and by hook, crook, and blackmail (with an assist from Rand, her very own Artificial Intelligence), she's become one of the youngest commercial ship owners in human space.
Using the good ship WYAL (for While You Ain't Looking) for various motley "transport" jobs, s
Published February 1st 1997 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ship Avenged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ship Avenged

The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffreyPegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffreyFalling Free by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Children Of Men by P.D. James
Disability In Science Fiction
29th out of 55 books — 22 voters
Crystal Line by Anne McCaffreyDragondrums by Anne McCaffreyCrystal Singer by Anne McCaffreyFreedom's Landing by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight / Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Dad's Favorite Science Fiction
11th out of 80 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Maria
Feb 12, 2016 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I really love this series, so I was expecting a lot from this book. Boy, was I disappointed.

First off, although the plot was well paced, the characters were more like caricatures. They had no real depth, and certain trait were blown out of proportion. Joseph, supposedly a wise mentor, was more like a sulky, anger-prone teenager. Amos just sort of sat around and felt bad about everything. Alvec lived for nothing but sex. Belazir was just a flat stereotypical evil overlord. Ciety's only defining
Jessica Malice
Aug 12, 2014 Jessica Malice rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantastical
This book was good.. but parts of it left me so unsatisfied as to pretty much spoil it for me.

I missed the brainships, but it was nice getting to know adult Joat and meeting an AI with personality. There were lots of very thrilling and engaging space piratey scenes, yay! And nothing hooks me more than severe injustice that is gloriously rectified by the end of the book. It is one of McCaffrey's greatest skills (I'm thinking of Menolly in Dragonsong as the pinnacle example), and all the way throu
Meg
Jan 14, 2013 Meg rated it liked it
In The City Who Fought Anne McCaffrey and SM Stirling came together to introduce us to Simeon, Channa, Joat, and the Kolnari. In The Ship Avenged SM Stirling continues the story, focusing around Joat and her courier business as well as the Kolnari and their attempts at revenge.

Overall well plotted, we are introduced to characters from Joat's distant past, characters from the previous book, and new characters from Joat's current life. I quite enjoyed the read other than the love subplot of Joat'
Kristine
Jun 01, 2016 Kristine rated it really liked it
Such a fun read!
Doreen
Oct 19, 2009 Doreen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it was alright. If you want a space opera that zips along nicely, this is the book for you, but I don't think I'll be reading any more Brainship books in future. Character development is pitiful, and there aren't any of the new ideas that made the earlier books in the series at least interesting for that.
Linda
Apr 12, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago (before the WWW) and since there was no way web pages to leave reviews on, I am taking this opportunity to review it now. I do remember that I enjoyed it. S.M. Stirling was able to write so this book fit in with Anne McCaffrey's series.
Rachelle
Jun 14, 2016 Rachelle rated it it was ok
Didn't finish it, after struggling through the previous book in the series I've determined that if it's part of Anne's series but she didn't have a hand in writing it then I'm not going to enjoy it. This is definitely the case with this one, page 31 and I'm so bored!
Dale Rosso
Sep 19, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed this addition to the ship stories started by Anne McCaffrey. A deadly cargo that has the potential to destroy civilization and the brain ships themselves. What more could you ask for.
Robert Riddell
Not bad. But it is my least favorite S.M. Stirling book.
Stephanie Bolen
Feb 14, 2015 Stephanie Bolen rated it liked it
Shelves: got-it
There was never anything wrong but not much unique or right with it either
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al added it
Review

It's not necessary to have read The City Who Fought in order to enjoy this sequel, though familiarity will certainly lend to this title's appeal. One of the youngest commercial ship owners finds her cargo a carrier ship for a deadly worlds-destroying infection in this compelling story of resourcefulness and politics in space. -- Midwest Book Review

Jonathan
Nov 12, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite ship book to date other than the original short stories. At first it was a little difficult to get interested, but that was in large part because I had just finished the Wheel of Time and Ender's Game right before this, so it wasn't fair to give it an assessment. Joat's a great character though, a lot of fun and so sassy. Really worth reading.
Bryan457
Joat (from "The City Who Fought") is reincarnated as a female version of Han Solo.

In "The City Who Fought" I like the brainship/brainstation Simeon, and I like the guerrilla war tactics. In this book there are no brainships and no guerrilla war tactics. So basically the things I like about the previous book are missing in this one.
Minh
May 23, 2011 Minh rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Much more of a space adventure than a Brainship story, the focus is all on Joat, Joseph and Amos causing havoc and chaos around the universe. It's a rip-roaring story that brings back the Kolnar as the big bad and one can almost hear the evil laughter rippling as the backdrop.
Sharon
Jan 12, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It was nice to catch up with the characters from "The City Who Fought." This is the only book in the series that I don't own, because I haven't been able to find it (not that Ihave many opportunities to look for it).
Andreas
Nov 21, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it
The sequel to The City Who Fought, penned by Stirling alone, is just as mediocre as its predecessor.

Theresa
Jul 19, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
continuing the legacy of Anne Mccaffrey's Brainship stories, this is a great story of heroism and sacrifice
Darla Middlebrook
Aug 05, 2012 Darla Middlebrook rated it liked it
I have read this one before. Still enjoyable.
Mary-Beth
Nov 29, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it it was ok
Sequel to The City Who Fought.
Susan
Amelia Myers
Sep 16, 2013 Amelia Myers rated it it was amazing
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS! :D
Laura Wilhelm
Laura Wilhelm rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Belinda Cameron
Belinda Cameron rated it really liked it
Julie Lewis
Julie Lewis marked it as to-read
Maria Swanson
Maria Swanson marked it as to-read
Vfab
Vfab marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

MINI AUTO-BIOGRAPHY:
(personal website: source)

I’m a writer by trade, born in France but Canadian by origin and American by naturalizat
More about S.M. Stirling...

Brainship (9 books)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Duty Calls