Start by marking “The Ship Avenged” as Want to Read:
The Ship Avenged

The Ship Avenged (Brainship #7)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,340 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's ten years later, and Joat, the eleven year old techno-demon from "The Ship Avenged," is an adult herself, and by hook, crook, and blackmail (with an assist from Rand, her very own Artificial Intelligence), she's become one of the youngest commercial ship owners in human space.
Using the good ship WYAL (for While You Ain't Looking) for various motley "transport" jobs, s
Published February 1st 1997 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ship Avenged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ship Avenged

The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffreyPegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffreyFalling Free by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Children Of Men by P.D. JamesThe Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold
Disability In Science Fiction
28th out of 55 books — 20 voters
Crystal Line by Anne McCaffreyDragondrums by Anne McCaffreyCrystal Singer by Anne McCaffreyFreedom's Landing by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight / Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Dad's Favorite Science Fiction
11th out of 80 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

jessica malice
This book was good.. but parts of it left me so unsatisfied as to pretty much spoil it for me.

I missed the brainships, but it was nice getting to know adult Joat and meeting an AI with personality. There were lots of very thrilling and engaging space piratey scenes, yay! And nothing hooks me more than severe injustice that is gloriously rectified by the end of the book. It is one of McCaffrey's greatest skills (I'm thinking of Menolly in Dragonsong as the pinnacle example), and all the way throu
Meg
In The City Who Fought Anne McCaffrey and SM Stirling came together to introduce us to Simeon, Channa, Joat, and the Kolnari. In The Ship Avenged SM Stirling continues the story, focusing around Joat and her courier business as well as the Kolnari and their attempts at revenge.

Overall well plotted, we are introduced to characters from Joat's distant past, characters from the previous book, and new characters from Joat's current life. I quite enjoyed the read other than the love subplot of Joat'
Dale Rosso
I enjoyed this addition to the ship stories started by Anne McCaffrey. A deadly cargo that has the potential to destroy civilization and the brain ships themselves. What more could you ask for.
Stephanie Bolen
There was never anything wrong but not much unique or right with it either
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al added it
Review

It's not necessary to have read The City Who Fought in order to enjoy this sequel, though familiarity will certainly lend to this title's appeal. One of the youngest commercial ship owners finds her cargo a carrier ship for a deadly worlds-destroying infection in this compelling story of resourcefulness and politics in space. -- Midwest Book Review

Jonathan
This was probably my favorite ship book to date other than the original short stories. At first it was a little difficult to get interested, but that was in large part because I had just finished the Wheel of Time and Ender's Game right before this, so it wasn't fair to give it an assessment. Joat's a great character though, a lot of fun and so sassy. Really worth reading.
Bryan457
Joat (from "The City Who Fought") is reincarnated as a female version of Han Solo.

In "The City Who Fought" I like the brainship/brainstation Simeon, and I like the guerrilla war tactics. In this book there are no brainships and no guerrilla war tactics. So basically the things I like about the previous book are missing in this one.
Doreen
I suppose it was alright. If you want a space opera that zips along nicely, this is the book for you, but I don't think I'll be reading any more Brainship books in future. Character development is pitiful, and there aren't any of the new ideas that made the earlier books in the series at least interesting for that.
Minh
May 23, 2011 Minh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Much more of a space adventure than a Brainship story, the focus is all on Joat, Joseph and Amos causing havoc and chaos around the universe. It's a rip-roaring story that brings back the Kolnar as the big bad and one can almost hear the evil laughter rippling as the backdrop.
Sharon
It was nice to catch up with the characters from "The City Who Fought." This is the only book in the series that I don't own, because I haven't been able to find it (not that Ihave many opportunities to look for it).
Andreas
The sequel to The City Who Fought, penned by Stirling alone, is just as mediocre as its predecessor.

Theresa
continuing the legacy of Anne Mccaffrey's Brainship stories, this is a great story of heroism and sacrifice
Darla Middlebrook
I have read this one before. Still enjoyable.
Mary-Beth
Sequel to The City Who Fought.
Susan
re-read Jan 31, 2014
Robert
very interesting series
Amelia Myers
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS! :D
Hiriki
Hiriki marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Selene
Selene marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Richard Greenawalt
Richard Greenawalt marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Sean Kennedy
Sean Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
Stephen Michael Stirling is a French-born Canadian-American science fiction and fantasy author. Stirling is probably best known for his Draka series of alternate history novels and the more recent time travel/alternate history Nantucket series and Emberverse series.

More about S.M. Stirling...

Brainship (7 books)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
Dies the Fire (Emberverse, #1) The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2) Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, #1) A Meeting at Corvallis (Emberverse, #3) The Sunrise Lands (Emberverse, #4)