Start by marking “Cat People” as Want to Read:
Cat People

Cat People

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  37 reviews
With characteristic wit, self–effacing charm and sheer, exuberant love of a good cat story, New York Times bestselling author Michael Korda and his wife Margaret Korda recount their lives as "cat people," beginning with Margaret's passion for cats (and Michael's reluctant mid–life transformation into a cat person), and introducing readers to a hilarious assortment of peopl ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published October 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat People

Greydrakkon
While some of the stories are amusing little anecdotes, there's also a few really horrible ones, like when a mother and daughter go to town and the father hires someone to kill every single cat at their barn. Charming. It's reality, but if they were going for a lighthearted book here, they failed. Badly. I also disagree with the opening chapter, on how cats are barely tolerant of humanity and so on. I think anyone who's dealt with cats know that each one has their own personality, and that the " ...more
Barbara
Hilarious? Not even a little bit. I have no idea why I took the precious time to read the whole thing, except it was relatively short. As much as I like cats, this was poorly written, with no definite voice, and would have turned me into a cat hater if I was inclined to give this book that much power. Letting cats on counters and tables at meal times? Yeah, I don't think so!
Sarah N
I have no idea why this book has so many bad reviews...clearly it must be possible to "love cats" but not actually be a "cat person." I found it completely delightful and laughed out loud through the entire thing. Most of the cat observations I found to be spot on, especially since I haven't "owned" less than 3 cats myself for several years now. If you're a cat lover, ignore all the other stupid Goodreads people and read it. The writing style is, perhaps, a little odd, but I thought it added to ...more
Forrest
Feb 17, 2008 Forrest rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the author's mom
Cheryl
I was expecting this book to address the different sort of quirks exhibited by cat people in general or to spotlight famous or eccentric cat people. This was more of a discussion of the authors as cat people and their various cats. Now, as a cat lover, I am not going to object to reading about cats and their personalities. But there are enough different cats in here that you don't become truly attached to any of them, so it is not as compelling as some I have read that spend years following the ...more
Pippa
A pleasant read from a couple of cat lovers who tell us about some of the cats they have owned and the quirks that each cat has.
Hollie Nelson
I would likely rate this at 3.5 stars as it was enjoyable, warm and entertaining-though not in a funny way. It was charming and also interesting to see the inside thought process/life of cat lovers.
Brisbride13
I was real disappointed with this book. Some of their stories were sweet and pulled me in but for the most part I coulddnt wait to get done with it. The authors complained a lot about their furniture being ruined and wrote quite a bit about cats in a stereo-typical way. If you have 4 or 5 cats in your home theyre going to scratch furniture...more than likely to leave their scent behind only to have it covered up by another...buy cheaper furniture! I found myself irritated by this book. Being the ...more
Ashley
This was a very random read; I don't even remember how it came to be on my TBR list.. I thought it was going to be a funny look back at the Korda's relationship with cats. Instead, it was random, disjointed, and not really that funny. Maybe if I knew the Kordas it would have made more sense: it read like little anecdotes you pass along to friends and family to keep the up-to-date about what's been going on with you.

Some of the illustrations were cute, but that's all I thought it had going for it
Surreysmum
A light, fast fun read - it took me through the commute to work and the commute home one day. The Kordas talk about the habits of the many cats they have adopted (or who have adopted them) at their rustic house over the years. Plenty of chuckles of recognition for any cat owner. There are sad cases as well, but most of the stories reinforce the joy and fascination of living alongside the Furry Ones. My only cavil was that it was sometimes hard to keep track of whose voice was narrating.
Flexanimous
I don't know why I thought it would be that interesting to read a book which is just a bunch of anecdotes about somebody's cats..
Tami Latta
I enjoyed this book immensely. Although I felt that the factual information at the beginning was difficult to chew through, when I finally reached the stories about the cats I was touched and ended up loving the Korda family. The perspective changes in awkward paragraphs, but aside from this, the book is heartwarming and will leave you with a laugh or two. A great book for a cat lover.
I was wavering between two and three stars. Although this book wasn't quite what I expected and occasionally confused me with its' haphazard writing, I still read it in the course of one afternoon. The cats themselves are very interesting -- I enjoyed their stories. Yet, I just felt like some kind of glue was missing through the whole book. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Janean
This book gets 2 stars for the occasionally amusing anecdotes about cats. It gets no stars for disseminating false information (that an older cat's only reason for disliking travel is that it isn't first class; that warm milk is good to give outdoor cats....) Also, the writers are total snobs which can be amusing but grows tedious to those of us who have to work for a living.
Aprille
Book #2 of 2010 - Meh. I liked the individual cat portraits. But underlying it all was an inherent snootiness from the authors. It took a while to get any sense that they really loved these animals they took in. And I really don't care about how expensive and designer your furniture is, please stop referring to it as if it's a huge tragedy when it gets scratched.
This is a collection of anecdotes of the cats that the Korda family have owned. Sometimes the couple have been selected by a cat and some they have chose. This is how cats often come into our lives. I adopted a cat from an animal shelter and still feel like he chose me. We are all lucky to have such loving, furry creatures in our lives.
Debra
Hardcover out-of-print, anticipated more illustrative drawings.

The style of writing: like an old married couple with a tendency to finish each other's sentences, sometimes the story melds into his-her version without clear distinction of when and where it actually began. Be prepared with a box of tissues.
Cole Schoolland
I picked it up one day and just started reading it. I would find it laying around and read a few pages here and there, and before I knew it... I had read the whole thing. It is a cute read. More of an introspective/autobiographical look at author's relationship with cats in particular.
Jerry
The beginning seemed bit dull but I really enjoyed many anecdotes of Korda cats and others.
Narrelle
Jan 15, 2008 Narrelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun read about the multitude of cats owned over the years by the Kordas and their friends. While co-authored, the shifting viewpoints between Michael and Margaret sometimes made for confusing reading. Still, recommended for cat lovers!
Carrie
Cute book. Since I love cats, I loved the stories. The writing however, was quite choppy without a good flow. Many times, I had no idea who was speaking - Michael or Margaret. Still, a cat story is hard to give up on.
Florence
A slender volume with tales of mostly rescued feral cats. I don't understand why they had to euthanize a biter when they have acreage, a barn, and other buildings where the cat could have lived apart from humans.
Deanna
I barely remember what this book was about, all of my friends call me a cat lady but even I was slogging through this one to the end just sort of yawning. THEY'RE NEVER AS CUTE IF THEY'RE NOT YOUR CAT.
Joy
I am, of course, a sucker for silly cat stories, but alas, cat stories have humans in them too. Both Margaret and Michael come off as hugely unsympathetic, over-privileged yahoos in this book.
Cheryl
What a fun little book. I receivied it as a gift from my niece at Christmas. I have laughed out loud and find it charming. A well written look at the pets that share our lives.
Melissa Clark
I thought this was a touching book. It is true that cats change our lives to fit around themselves. It made me think about how our cat William's little habits.
Amanda
I'm only halfway through this short book, but so far it's really funny and insightful into the lives of cats and their people. A good, light read. I do recommend it.
Joy
Quick read...entertaining stories about a couple in England who owned & cared for numerous cats. I, being an obnoxious cat lover, loved this book. It even made me cry!
Sylvia Tedesco
I love anything Michael Korda writes. Being a Cat Lady Extraordinaire myself, and being in a mood to read happier things, this book hit the spot this week!
Rebecca Huston
A delightful book about one persons encounters with the many cats in his life. Illustrations are lovely too. Recommended for anyone who adores felines.
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • Making the Cat Laugh
  • The Good, The Bad and The Furry: Life with the World's Most Melancholy Cat and Other Whiskery Friends
  • Movies In Fifteen Minutes: The Ten Biggest Movies Ever For People Who Can't Be Bothered
  • The Cat Manual
  • To Be A Cat
  • Catwatching
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
  • Why Cats Paint: A theory of feline aesthetics
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: What I Learned from the Cat: 101 Stories about Life, Love, and Lessons
  • Hiss and Tell
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • 100 Cats Who Changed Civilization
  • Witches
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • Catification: Designing a Happy and Stylish Home for Your Cat (and You!)
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
Queenie Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia Ike: An American Hero Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life With Wings Like Eagles

“We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. —Irving Townshend, Separate Lives” 1 likes