Start by marking “The Conjurer Princess” as Want to Read:
The Conjurer Princess

The Conjurer Princess (Spellbound #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A young princess, Lylene apprentices herself to a wizard in order to gain the power to rescue her older sister, kidnapped during her wedding by armed knights, and, armed with her new magic, she joins forces with a couple of handsome outlaw companions as she embarks on her quest. Original."
Mass Market Paperback, 229 pages
Published September 1st 1997 by Harpercollins (Mm)

To ask other readers questions about The Conjurer Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conjurer Princess

Janice (Janicu)
Lylene's life changes when at her sister Beryl's wedding, the groom is killed and Beryl is kidnapped by another man. Desperate and worried about her sister, Lylene appeals to all she can for help but is turned down. Finally she seeks out a wizard and asks to learn magic in order to save her sister. She gets what she wants - but for a price she didn't realise she had to pay. Eventually she finds herself in the company of a couple of mercenaries who agree to help her. I thought the premise for the ...more
Shadowshock
Nov 27, 2009 Shadowshock rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: not really
Dexter/Persy
I did enjoy The Conjurer Princess, but... I find it strangely hard to remember. I don't know if it's because I was ridiculously busy while I was reading it, or if there's something just unremarkable about this particular story, but it's not all that memorable.

I will say that it wasn't what I expected. I read the first chapter and thought I had the plot figured out, but it didn't do what I thought it would, and it still worked. The characters weren't fantastic, but weren't awful.

Sometimes the wri
Kate
Vande Velde likes to play with irony and moral ambiguity, but the problem with her nihilistic tack is that somewhere in the midst of this novel, nothing seemed to matter anymore. Near the beginning of the book, Lylene receives her wizarding power (note: one crappy power) through something suspiciously like a demonic summoning ritual, and in exchange ages eighty years. She can will away the years onto other people to make herself younger, but what kind of jerk would do that, right? Apparently, th ...more
Kathy
Jun 05, 2009 Kathy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: magic
I don't even remember putting this on my to-read list, but it was waiting with the rest of my books at the library so I went ahead and checked it out. This was just okay for me, and was luckily a pretty short read. The plot idea was pretty good, the execution not so much. It felt like there was too much going on and at the same time not a lot of actual character development. It moved along a bit too quickly. I liked Weiland and Shile much more than I liked Lylene. The "aging" she goes through wa ...more
Shannon
Anita Lee
Not the best I read from Velde. Being familiar with her style, the ending was predictable. As a great fan of fantasy, the lack of explanation for the magic in the story was disappointing. A 3/5 just because it's Velde and unlike many other young adult authors, she's not afraid to kill off characters and/or involve a great deal of fighting and blood.

Overall, an ok read if you just want/like stories involving magic, violence and damsel-in-distress.
Paula
Not my favorite VVV book, but a fun and fast read. Apparently there is a prequel to this book called the Changling Prince, but not sure if I'm attached to the characters enough to pick it up. VVV does a great job with action and tension with humor thrown in, so if you have a few hours and like a Medieval romp this is the book for you.
Becky
I wasn't that there was anything bad in this, but it just wasn't very well written. The "romance" is one sentence in passing and the story wraps up with, "oh well guess she didn't want to after all." I won't be reading the sequel.
Kendra
Odd little book. Woman's sister is kidnapped so she becomes a wizard to save the sister. Adventures with two mercenaries... Good story, interesting twist. Looks like a sequel.
Johna K-w
Loved it. I just couldn't give it 5 stars after it broke my heart.
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Risky
Risky marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Alyce
Alyce marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Gracie Mae
Gracie Mae marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Cindy Mesimer
Cindy Mesimer marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Naomi Moffitt
Naomi Moffitt marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Robin Connelly
Robin Connelly marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • The Hidden Land (The Secret Country, #2)
  • Alien Secrets
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • The Tarot Cafe, #6
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards #1)
  • Neko-laus (Neko-laus #1)
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • Elske (Kingdom, #4)
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)
  • BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • Six Great Modern Plays
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...
Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2) Dragon's Bait Companions of the Night The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Cloaked in Red