Start by marking “The Conjurer Princess” as Want to Read:
The Conjurer Princess

The Conjurer Princess (Spellbound #2)

One day Lylene was a bridesmaid, all dressed up for her older sister's wedding to a neighboring prince. A week later, Lylene was a wizard's apprentice, determined to gain the power to rescue her sister from the armed knights who had kidnapped her at the altar. And now Lylene is on the road to revenge, armed with nothing but her new magical power, and a couple of outlaw com ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Eos

To ask other readers questions about The Conjurer Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Conjurer Princess

Janice (Janicu)
Aug 23, 2008 Janice (Janicu) rated it liked it
Lylene's life changes when at her sister Beryl's wedding, the groom is killed and Beryl is kidnapped by another man. Desperate and worried about her sister, Lylene appeals to all she can for help but is turned down. Finally she seeks out a wizard and asks to learn magic in order to save her sister. She gets what she wants - but for a price she didn't realise she had to pay. Eventually she finds herself in the company of a couple of mercenaries who agree to help her. I thought the premise for the ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 09, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
The story takes place in a knights/castles type of environment, but with magic.). Beryl is the older sister, Lylene the younger one (and the main character.) Beryl is known as “the pretty one,” Lylene “the sensible one.”

One day a man named Randal is marrying Beryl when he's shot with an arrow. The invaders capture Beryl and kill a bunch of people at the wedding.

Lylene goes to study with a wizard to learn magic. In an event somewhat similar to Howl's Castle, Lylene is changed into a seventy-year-
Dexter
May 15, 2012 Dexter rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy, adventure, magic
I did enjoy The Conjurer Princess, but... I find it strangely hard to remember. I don't know if it's because I was ridiculously busy while I was reading it, or if there's something just unremarkable about this particular story, but it's not all that memorable.

I will say that it wasn't what I expected. I read the first chapter and thought I had the plot figured out, but it didn't do what I thought it would, and it still worked. The characters weren't fantastic, but weren't awful.

Sometimes the wri
Shadowshock
Nov 27, 2009 Shadowshock rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not really
Kate
Feb 13, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-childhood
Vande Velde likes to play with irony and moral ambiguity, but the problem with her nihilistic tack is that somewhere in the midst of this novel, nothing seemed to matter anymore. Near the beginning of the book, Lylene receives her wizarding power (note: one crappy power) through something suspiciously like a demonic summoning ritual, and in exchange ages eighty years. She can will away the years onto other people to make herself younger, but what kind of jerk would do that, right? Apparently, th ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Jun 05, 2009 Kathy * Bookworm Nation rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic
I don't even remember putting this on my to-read list, but it was waiting with the rest of my books at the library so I went ahead and checked it out. This was just okay for me, and was luckily a pretty short read. The plot idea was pretty good, the execution not so much. It felt like there was too much going on and at the same time not a lot of actual character development. It moved along a bit too quickly. I liked Weiland and Shile much more than I liked Lylene. The "aging" she goes through wa ...more
Shannon
May 02, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
Anita Lee
Jul 19, 2013 Anita Lee rated it liked it
Not the best I read from Velde. Being familiar with her style, the ending was predictable. As a great fan of fantasy, the lack of explanation for the magic in the story was disappointing. A 3/5 just because it's Velde and unlike many other young adult authors, she's not afraid to kill off characters and/or involve a great deal of fighting and blood.

Overall, an ok read if you just want/like stories involving magic, violence and damsel-in-distress.
Paula
Feb 22, 2008 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Not my favorite VVV book, but a fun and fast read. Apparently there is a prequel to this book called the Changling Prince, but not sure if I'm attached to the characters enough to pick it up. VVV does a great job with action and tension with humor thrown in, so if you have a few hours and like a Medieval romp this is the book for you.
Hope
Nope nope nope. This is a sort of "sequel" to the The Changeling Prince , but while I loved that book, this one ruined it. The main character is flat and dull, and my fav characters from the previous book are secondary characters.

And then one of them dies pointlessly.

WHY YOU ALWAYS KILL MY FAV CHARACTERS, AUTHORS? *sobs*
Kat!e Larson
Jul 12, 2016 Kat!e Larson rated it liked it
It took me a few pages to get into this because the writing felt a little rough. However, I was soon so invested in the adventure and the characters that I didn't notice anymore. I really adore the three main characters. The plot twist is perfect -- I love how Vivian Vande Velde is never afraid to go for the unexpected. This book is a fun (and emotional) ride.
Becky
Oct 25, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok
I wasn't that there was anything bad in this, but it just wasn't very well written. The "romance" is one sentence in passing and the story wraps up with, "oh well guess she didn't want to after all." I won't be reading the sequel.
Kendra
Odd little book. Woman's sister is kidnapped so she becomes a wizard to save the sister. Adventures with two mercenaries... Good story, interesting twist. Looks like a sequel.
Jenny
Mar 20, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
I felt like there was more to this story that was untold. And I really had a hard time liking any of the characters - loved the twist.
Graded a B.
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2009
Daisy
Daisy rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Clare D' Lune
Clare D' Lune rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Megan McCabe
Megan McCabe rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Alexia
Alexia rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Rachel Billings
Rachel Billings rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2007
Andrea Kent
Andrea Kent rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Celinda Labrousse
Celinda Labrousse rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
alicia croy
alicia croy rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
KitKat71483
KitKat71483 rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • The Gold Warrior (Gold Warrior #1)
  • The Sea
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards, #1)
  • Alien Secrets
  • The Tarot Cafe, #5
  • Neko-laus (Neko-laus #1)
  • An Exchange Of Gifts
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • The Whim of the Dragon (The Secret Country, #3)
  • BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1)
  • Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)
  • One Thousand and One Nights, Volume 03
  • Lucie Babbidge's House
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...

Spellbound (2 books)