Start by marking “There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around” as Want to Read:
There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
When Ted's five-year-old sister Vicki invents an imaginary friend, no one is too concerned...until they realize that her friend can move things. Ted is sure that Vicki's "friend" Marella is a ghost. But why would a ghost haunt Vicki? And why does Marella seem to be terrified of another ghost-a dark figure that is haunting Ted? Edgar Award-winner Vivian Vande Velde's blend ...more
Published August 27th 2001 by Puffin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around

The Sutler of Petersburg by Joy Ross DavisSpirit of the Rebellion by Debbie  PetersonGhosts of Company K by Oliver PhippsRebel Spirits by Lois RubyPicture the Dead by Adele Griffin
Civil War Ghosts
32nd out of 77 books — 23 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineDragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
Children's Fantasy of the 1990s
61st out of 96 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kitty Jay
What a fantastic title: There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around. For an author who claims to be no good at titles, this one piqued my interest immediately (not to mention the fact that Vivian Vande Velde was, and still is, one of my favorite authors from my childhood).

Ted, the young protagonist of the story, finds himself wrapped up in a ghostly mystery when his sister, Vicki, starts having nightmares and seeing a young girl and "bad lady" around their house. With the help of his cousi
Stephanie Fuentes
Feb 23, 2016 Stephanie Fuentes rated it really liked it
There's a Dead Person Following My Sister Around, written by Vivian Vande Velde, is set in the 1980's during the Modern Era, the 12 year-old main character, Ted lives in an old house of their ancestors in New York. He begins to wonder why his sister is acting weird.Ted is a curious. I think Ted is curious because in the book he called his grandparent because he wanted to know about what was happening (pg 98) He was also curious because he searched for the things the grandparents told him about w ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
The story is about Ted (12 yrs. Old), Zach (16), and Vicki, who is in kindergarten. They all live in a house that's about 150 years old.

The problems start when Vicki starts talking to a friend, Marella, who no one else can see, and then when the “bad lady” (as Vicki calls her), causes Vicki to have nightmares and then say that the “bad lady” went after Ted (and, during that time, he was having a nightmare of his own.)

It turns out a girl cousin of Ted's was at their house when she was five years
Christina Vo
I remember buying this book during the memorable "book fair week" in 5th grade. I was going through a paranormal phase, reading about everything and anything that had to do with ghosts or "the other side".
This book kept me captivated and on the edge of my little 5th grade seat for days. While my teacher taught a lesson about the different kinds of clouds, I secretly held this book below my desk, out of my teacher's line of vision, and busied myself in chapter after chapter of the mysteries of V
Natalie
I liked the way this book explored the intersection between past and present in the landscape as well as the peoplescape.
Titis Wardhana
Lama bener rasanya nyelesein baca buku ini...

Rumah Ted tiba2 dihantui. Semua berawal dari Vicki, adik Ted, yang bilang kalau dia punya teman bernama Marella. Semua menganggap kalau itu hanya teman khayalan Vicki, sampai berbagai peristiwa aneh menimpa Ted.

Meski cuman 150 hlm., tapi rasanya bacanya ndet2an alias gak lancar. Kayaknya gara2 terjemahannya yang sangat Indonesia sekali, misalnya: Nah, kamu perlu mendapatkan bantuan untuk membalikkan papan panel itu atau tidak?
Lalu pemakaian kamu dan
Renee
Nov 07, 2015 Renee rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-13-25
No one in the family seems to be too concerned with Vicki when she gets an imaginary friend, Marella. But when that friend turns out to be a ghost from the past, Ted has no choice but to discover why Marella has chosen to haunt his sister. As Ted searches, he discovers his house was used to hide slaves during the Underground Railroad. And Marella was one of those slaves.

I love how this book combines history with a spooky ghost story. I think there is great value in a book that can teach kids abo
Cathleen Ash
Have you ever seen or heard a ghost? Do you know someone who has? Well, Ted knows someone who has - and he didn't even go to a haunted house, and there was no storm, and no one ever died in the house where his family has lived forever, but still - his little sister saw a ghost.
Vicki sees Marella - and no one else can, but Vicki considers Marella to be her friend. Ted, and his older brother Zach think Vicki's gone bonkers and is making up an imaginary friend, just to get out of trouble.
At break
John Fannin
Oct 17, 2010 John Fannin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book by Vivian Vande Velde is remarkable.Its about a family living in a house where a little kid's little sister is seeing things that cannot be explained. The little sister has been seeing this unknown thing and her brother wanted to get to the bottom of the footsteps his beeen hearing and the person that his little sister has been describing. As he found out, through his research, his house use to be where the slaves stayed when they where traveling during the underground railroad epidemi ...more
Emma
Feb 21, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-already
Me and my friend chose a random book to do for our project at school. And this was that random book it ended up being one of my favorites. We got it because it is short but if you read through it fast you won't understand it so it is best to take your time through it.
Wealhtheow
Ted is just trying to get through fifth grade, but his younger sister's imaginary friend starts making that difficult. It was bad enough when Vicki pretended "Marella" was sitting in chairs and talking to her, but then she started sleeping with a hammer under her bed to protect against another imaginary friend. Then Ted himself gets attacked by an unseen force, and he begins to suspect that they aren't Vicki's imaginary friends...they're ghosts.

Spooky but mostly sad, and most of the scares are b
Sara-Anne
Jun 08, 2011 Sara-Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the very few Vivian Vande Velde books I haven't read. She is one of my favorite authors. This book was a little different from some of her other works in that it was middle grade, and the protagonist was a boy. That being said, Vande Velde delivered, as usual. I was surprised how truly creepy some of the sections were! One thing I love about Vande Velde is that she never "writes down" (as someone might talk down) to her readers, even her younger ones. She doesn't stop to ask, is ...more
Selena
Mar 29, 2014 Selena rated it it was amazing
Omg i love this book. Its about a boy named ted and his sister is having dreams about ghosts but its acullay not a dream. Dont wanna tell you to much about the story
Susan Strayer
Feb 06, 2015 Susan Strayer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Great spooky story for 11 yr old kids and wimpy adults like myself. Just enough scariness but a good ending. The title's lame though.
Vision capone paul
From the start of it the book on the cover gives plenty reasons to want to know more. As to why the ghosts are following them? And maybe the ghost were always their just not to be seen? Or do they want someone's attention? the boy seems very frightned but concerned. The sister just seems to enjoy having a friend around its really creepy . The cover was really the main thing that caught my attention it sort of reminds me of when i'm at home by myself and i think someone is always watching me. sp ...more
Ms.
May 18, 2009 Ms. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Alyssa
Recommended to Ms. by: bookfair
Shelves: nicole-n, alyssa-w
Emily Smith
Dec 13, 2011 Emily Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my students brought this book to me and told me it is one of his favorites. As I began reading, I quickly became tangled in the story. Vivian Vande Velde did a wonderful job incorporating the historical details into this seemingly creepy story. I really enjoyed how Ted did some investigating to try to find out about the ghosts. The climax was really great, and I finished the book feeling very gratified with the conclusion. My students will love the suspense in this quick read.
Angela
Sep 02, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this book because it also taught me about some information about slavery in history. Also, I connected this book to the TV show Ghost Whisperer because it's about a ghost and Holes because it had mentioned digging a hole that was 6 feet deep which is close to what Stanley had to dig everyday. At first, this book gave me the creeps but later on in the book I wanted to continue reading the author made every end of the chapter feel like a mystery.
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 07, 2011 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Ted's sister suddenly has an imaginary friend, but it starts getting a little spooky when the sister and her friend are both afraid of somebody else. And it gets even more spooky when the somebody else starts invading Ted's dreams!

I love the tone of Vande Velde's books. This book, though decidedly scary (I can just hear myself reading it aloud to my grandchildren in a few years - what fun!) still has the light, skittery tone of a boy.

Dexter
Feb 14, 2012 Dexter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, supernatural, horror
Very rarely does a book actually creep me out, but Vivian Vande Velde continues to do so. This book is creepy, funny, and sensible all put together to form...awesomeness. I love all the characters, especially Ted, the main character. There's enough humor to keep it from being overdramatic, but enough seriousness to make it scary, and the plot pans out perfectly with a great twist ending.
Sheri
Aug 04, 2010 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's A Dead Person Following My Sister Around (Vivian Vande Velde)
This was a very good ghost story with an interesting and nice twist. The end is bittersweet and the book has a bit of history in it. I highly recommend to young readers and those young at heart. This book was given to me by my daughter's friend and I am glad i had a chance to read it.
Jenny
Jan 22, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, ghost
Jed can't figure out why a ghost is haunting his sister. It isn't an anniversary of a death, it isn't Halloween, and his house is a normal place without dark moors, etc. But Vicky is not just making up an invisible friend. There is a sinister lady haunting Jed's dreams too. If he can't figure out who the ghosts are, Vicky may pay the price.
Stephen Smith
Mar 01, 2013 Stephen Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. This was a crazy book, but I did not put it down. The further I got, the more it kept me on edge. I can't stand horror films and they seem like a waist of good time, but reading this book was enjoyable. A little tough at times to keep up with, but overall it was good fantasy. Highly recommend it if you like a good mystery.
Maureen
Jul 20, 2012 Maureen rated it liked it
It was a good read, and I finished it fairly quickly. A ghost living in their back yard, from the time of the civil war. Mother and daughter had been trying to escape but they were drowned on the eve of getting away, and now someone wanted to haunt the family. Could they figure it out before the ghost really hurt someone?
Jordan Rivera
May 31, 2012 Jordan Rivera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twisted
This is one of my favorite books it has a twist to it right from the begging. it also has a crazy ending i really do not want to ruin it for you, but if you do decide to read this beware, you will never want to drop it you will get suck in.

Patience
Oct 03, 2010 Patience rated it liked it
i got this book at my school's book fair thinkin it wasnt goin 2 b good bt it was actualli a lil more interestin than i thought. n its 1 of those books dat tak u bac to d past n i lik those types onli if it doesnt talk bout d past all dat much.
Judy Desetti
Dec 29, 2010 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this read about a boy who is trying to figure out who is haunting his house and sister. He unravels the mystery of two ghosts who had ties to the underground railroad and their tragic lives.

Good read.
Kimberly American
Mar 31, 2014 Kimberly American rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book.
Ardis
Nov 10, 2007 Ardis rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Vivian Vande Velde's books have the worst covers, but she's one of the best writers for young adults. Her books are never ordinary and filled with suspense and humor.
Vicki
Jul 08, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok
Shelves: tween
Ted's 5 yr old sister Vicki has an imaginary friend which turns out to be a young ghost who died a terrible death 1 year before, but no on believes Ted. OK
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales
  • The Dead Boys
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • Undead Ahead (The Zombie Chasers #2)
  • The New Brighton Archeological Society
  • Popular Vote
  • The Ghost Sitter
  • The Hanging Hill (Haunted Mystery, #2)
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Trespassers
  • The Ghost on the Stairs (Haunted, #1)
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Walt Disney World Trivia Book: Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic: Volume 1
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • 100% Wolf
  • City of Spies
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...