Start by marking “The Burning Girl” as Want to Read:
The Burning Girl

The Burning Girl

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A young woman trapped between worlds is forced to take sides in a war, take control of herself . . . and her power.
Published July 3rd 2006 by Prime Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burning Girl

Miriam
Jun 04, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, memory
Rye wakes up in quarantine, covered in fever lesions and missing the last several years of her memory. Friendless and broke, she moves into a boarding house and takes a menial job to support herself. But something about her has changed...

My progress through this book went something like this:

Beginning: Wow, this seems really original and interesting, I wonder why it isn't rated more highly.

page 50: Oh, they are finding the secret stuff really fast. Too bad, I was enjoying the suspense of her hav
Norman Lee Madsen
Apr 06, 2012 Norman Lee Madsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The novel begins in the midst of the main character, Rye's story. Significant events have previously and dramatically impacted on her life, resulting in Rye now being physically, emotionally and mentally scarred. In effect, the novel begins after another story has ended.

The story's over arching theme appears to be distrust and miscommunication, and the inevitable misunderstands, disappointment and failures that result. The characters never quite manage to fully trust each other or communicate fu
Allison
Aug 23, 2014 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Hmm. I think this is a first novel, so maybe Phillips will build up some plotting skills to go with her considerable talent for vivid imagery. As it was, I just found this to be an interesting premise and some nice writing with a story that didn't go very far or give much of a sense of progress or character growth.
Corinne
Very strange and surreal book with a very atypical ending - but this is what I really liked and I guess why I enjoyed this book so much. This is not a book to read on the side, but one has to pay a lot of attention in order to get all the subplots and storylines, which are confusing and quite tangled.
Tasula
Jul 30, 2012 Tasula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fascinating but unfulfilling. Lots of obscure, confusing parts, repetition- I found myself getting impatient after reading half, wondering where was it going, what was this all about. And at the end I still really didn't know.
Bridgett
An unusual book. I liked the inclusion of synesthesia. I did get a bit confused over what an arcwright is.
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Kayla Bashe
Kayla Bashe marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Kyri Freeman
Kyri Freeman rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Susan Dickson
Susan Dickson rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
David
David added it
Aug 16, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Beatrice
Beatrice is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Jessica Di
Jessica Di rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Normalene
Normalene rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Kat Korsmo
Kat Korsmo rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Sana
Sana marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2012
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2012