Start by marking “The Ruby Programming Language” as Want to Read:
The Ruby Programming Language

The Ruby Programming Language

The Ruby Programming Language is the authoritative guide to Ruby and provides comprehensive coverage of versions 1.8 and 1.9 of the language. It was written (and illustrated!) by an all-star team:

David Flanagan, bestselling author of programming language "bibles" (including JavaScript: The Definitive Guide and Java in a Nutshell) and committer to the Ruby Subversion reposi
Published February 1st 2008 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2008)

Adrian
Mar 22, 2009 Adrian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This book provides comprehensive documentation of the Ruby programming language (1.8.x and 1.9.x) by the language's creator, Yukihiro Matsumoto, and David Flanagan (from Javascript: The Definitive Guide and Java in a Nutshell fame).

Ruby is an easy language to program in, but it is not a simple language. This book is intended for experienced programmers who want to master Ruby. It is not a beginner's book, although it does take a bottoms up approach -- it is intended to be read in the order it is
Russell
May 04, 2009 Russell rated it really liked it
This book contains less fluff than the Pickaxe book. While Pickaxe is good for quickly learning about Ruby and trying out some things, along with a so-so appendix of std classes, this book contains more in-depth detail on the core language constructs and behavior. Combined, they make a great reference duo.
Mike
May 13, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
I was familiar with Dave Flanagan through his Javascript book. Seeing his name on the cover of this book was all I needed to buy it. And of course it doesn't hurt that Matz -- Ruby's creator -- was the other author. But to be fair, I had seen Matz' work in O'Reilly's "Beautiful Code" -- an essay called "Treating Code as an Essay." It was not only the best piece of writing in that book, but one of the best essays on programming I've ever read. It prompted me to scour the Internet for more of his ...more
finisherr
Aug 01, 2014 finisherr rated it liked it
I must confess...I never really finished this book. Python is my language of choice. I've mostly picked this up to manage some of the existing Ruby code in my organization.

First things first, this book is not for beginners. If you do not have much experience with tech or code, go elsewhere. This book reads more like documentation with helpful examples, starting from the ground up. I must say though, if you've got a little experience with code, this book will probably get you a thorough understa
Marshall
Dec 29, 2011 Marshall rated it really liked it
Excellent intermediate-level guide to the Ruby programming language. It discusses every feature, every nuance, and every "gotcha" that arises from ambiguity or as a trade-off for flexibility and expressiveness. Like other O'Reilly "nutshell" books, this book covers the language, the whole language, and nothing but the language. It doesn't waste a single precious sentence on anything but details. This makes it very dense to read, but very efficient, and makes it an excellent reference. No ...more
João Bruno
Aug 10, 2016 João Bruno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its language can be a bit dry and technical, but this is a solid book particularly if you were already a programmer when you picked it up and want to get to know Ruby. It explains the language from the ground-up, with the next chapter building on the previous, in a simple and unpretentious manner.
This is not a fun, hipster-y book about Ruby - there's hardly any fluff here. But it's great to build a general understanding of the language and I've come back to it since I've read it for reference.
D. Pereira
Sep 01, 2013 D. Pereira rated it really liked it
This probably works better as a reference book after you learn Ruby than as an actual intro to Ruby (is that how ALL O'Reilly books work? I felt that way about the only other book I read from them, way back). Seems to be structured in a way that leads to a lot of "hands off" learning before you get to do anything, but you sure do learn a lot. Partway through I was struggling with it and tried to switch to learning from a website, but the site made me appreciate how much I'd already learned from ...more
Scott
Apr 03, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Good book for a detailed look at the language.

It presents the material well and is clear in it's explanations and examples. It does a particularly good job of expressing the theory behind features of the language and it positions you to really understand what is going on behind the scenes well.

On the down side the book is a bit too linear and doesn't get to classes/modules or even how to break code up into files until later in the book. This means you're tinkering for quiet some time and it's aw
Kian
May 13, 2012 Kian rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
This is not designed to be an entertaining look, but a detailed study of the Ruby language. Which it is. And for a book that's covering so much ground, it manages to do it in such a way that you don't feel like you're chewing cardboard.

This is not a book on beginning programming. If you're looking to learn how to program, go hunt another title. If you're a seasoned programmer looking for a quick way to pick up the Ruby language , syntax and libraries, you're hard pushed to beat this.
Abdulsattar Mohammed
Jan 07, 2014 Abdulsattar Mohammed rated it it was amazing
This book does what it aims to do perfectly: document the entire Ruby language. David Flannagan has covered every aspect of Ruby with a very good pace.

This book, as it says on the back cover, is not for anyone who's getting into programming. However, if you know any other language or have beginner to intermediate Ruby knowledge, this book will make you an expert in Ruby.
Said A
Sep 26, 2012 Said A rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Great and detailed intro to the Ruby. This is "the one" book for any beginner. Provides you with the insights of the language, introduces new concepts and provides great examples for better understanding.
Shafjac
Feb 28, 2012 Shafjac rated it really liked it
Not a real page-turner but a ton of great details on Ruby. I use it most days at the office to look up how to do things in Ruby or get a better understanding of how things are working under the covers.
Kawai
Nov 30, 2013 Kawai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geek
Solid overview of the language. Delivers on all its promises. Combine this book with another source of Ruby instruction--perhaps codecademy--and you'll be well on your way to mastering the language.
Ken
Apr 11, 2010 Ken rated it liked it
This book is pretty technical - which makes it both a great reference and not a great DIY learn how to program Ruby.
Kevin
Oct 04, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
Comprehensive coverage of the Ruby language, modeled after The C++ Programming Language.

It's probably best used as a reference, rather than cover-to-cover.
Daniel
Sep 26, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
A good start to finish intro. I learned Ruby from this book very easily; 0 to fluency took about three days.
Richard
Chapter on blocks, procs and lamdas was a little confusing.
Could have done with more examples of building real code over API documentation.
Michael
Feb 14, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
As a programming reference, one of the best I've ever read; although, the book has some pretty egregious formatting errors. (You can do better, copy editor.)
Rob Olson
Jan 09, 2011 Rob Olson rated it liked it
Good book on the ruby programming language. Not a page turner but works well as a more concise guide than the Programming Ruby for beginning Ruby Programmers.
B
B rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Hari Khalsa
Hari Khalsa rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Tom Kadwill
Tom Kadwill rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Rick Caldwell
Rick Caldwell rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Christopher Murphy
Christopher Murphy rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Rakesh
Feb 17, 2016 Rakesh rated it liked it
Lack good
Clint Ecker
Clint Ecker rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Arturo Diaz
Arturo Diaz rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Efutch
Efutch rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Mustansar Hussain
Mustansar Hussain rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Todd Holloway
Todd Holloway rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2014
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 11 Oct 30, 2009 03:18PM
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Ruby Best Practices
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Version Control with Git
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
  • RESTful Web Services
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • The RSpec Book
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!
  • Rails Recipes
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »