Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader

Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Collected here is the best of Harry Crews: his astoundingly beautiful memoir "A Childhood: The Biography of a Place; " two of his most memorable novels, "Car" and "The Gypsy's Curse; " and three masterly essays, "Climbing the Tower, " "The Car, " and "Fathers, Sons and Blood, " as well as a new introduction to these works by Crews himself.
Published October 1st 1993 by Touchstone Books (first published 1993)

Greg
Ok, people. I don't remember too much about this book to be honest. Is that the books fault? Probably not. This was an entry into the Book Olympics, from 2006/2007, a time unfortunately not fully captured by Karen and I on goodreads.com; but which basically was a 'race' through the entire fiction section of the store by reading one book (already owned, or else a penalty book) by someone else's choosing from each bay (set of shelves). I don't know exactly how many books that is, but it's close to...more
Charles Stahl
I had never heard of Harry Crews until I read the recommendations of one of the employees of book soup. And I am glad that I did. This is an interesting book in that it's at once autobiographical, (although not an autobiography, but a collection of real-life anecdotes) and fiction - a collection of short stories / novellas.

In the 1st, A Childhood, The Biography of a Place, Crews recounts his early years in Bacon Country Georgia, with a family a dirt-poor sharecroppers. Crews has a very gritty s...more
Wade
Crews does redneck freaks like a more modern Flannery O'Connor without being informed by Catholicism. He also cusses a lot more. Really this should be broken up into a number of reviews, but I'm too lazy for that. Car is perhaps my favorite Crews book, which is enough for this collection to be worthwhile, though the essays and childhood biography are excellent as well.
Judi
Classic Crews is a varied collection of novellas and short stories.

A Childhood is among my favorite works included in Classic Crews. A Childhood is a beautifully written biography of Harry Crews in pre World War Two rural Florida. Detail perfect down to his facination with the Sears catalogue and the picture perfect people featured therein. Crews writes "Nearly everybody I knew had something missing, a finger cut off, a toe split, an ear half-chewed away, an eye clouded with blindness from a g...more
Rory Costello
I got this book from the library because it's the only really convenient way to obtain two of Crews' short novels, "The Gypsy's Curse" and "Car". It's certainly worth it for them alone, even though I wouldn't give either of them individually five stars (both four). "Car" is a satire that retains a lot of its bite and is still quite funny. "The Gypsy's Curse" visits a favorite Crews theme: freaks (actually, freakish behavior is at the heart of "Car" too). The writing shows Crews' hard-acquired se...more
Will
This book is worth the read just for "Childhood: Biography of a Place." Crews had one of the weirdest and most difficult childhoods of anyone who's ever admitted to it, so far as I can tell, and his memoir is pretty startling.

"The Gypsy's Curse" is my least favorite here -- Crews at his most Palahniukian (even if it WAS before Palahniuk). It just keeps trying to outdo itself with the weirdness.

The essays "Fathers, Sons, Blood" and "Climbing the Tower" are two of the best essays I've ever read....more
Donal Mosher
The most compassionate of all his writing, certainly the most tender. This book has much of the dreamy ache of Member the Wedding, but keeps that clean, hardcore Crew's voice.
Brian
Harry Crews was a fairly unknown but good author of books and stories in the "Southern Gothic" genre (a label he hated). He was also a professor at the University of Florida at Gainesville, and (after discovering his work) I wanted to go back to school specifically to take his courses (I never did).

Classic Crews collects three of his novellas with a couple of essays to provide an interesting introduction to his work. Not his best work, mind you, but not bad at all. The autobiographical "A Child...more
Debra Harrison
This is an excellent read from an undervalued, talented author. His work is as forceful as his personality. Crews rights about the poor rural folks of Georgia in his exceptional stories. The first story in this collection is autobiographical and tells the story of the suthor's very humble childhood as a child of sharecroppers. This book was a real eye opener for me. What a great introduction to this author whose writings brings the work of Flannery O'Connor writing about a similat population onl...more
Martin
Childhood is a beautiful book, both hilarious and somber. My favorite moments are when the young Crews tells tales out of the Sears catalogue and later when he's boiled like a hog while his uncle runs alongside the slow family car, trying to speed it up on the way to the hospital. The Gypsy's curse and Car are two of his best novels, two of my favorites from Crews. Gypsy's Curse seems to echo Carson McCuller's The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, and the fact that both novels feature "deaf-mute" charac...more
A. Gamble
This was a re-read of a collection of a small portion of Harry Crews' work.

Crews writes clearly and honestly about the darkest of lives, and the tales he tells may not be beautiful, but they ring true. They make for some good reading, too, be you from the South, the Deep South, or Someplace Else. As the great-grand-daughter of sharecroppers, reading Harry Crews is like listening to the stories I grew up "just knowing." Crews "tells the South" like no one else, and as fierce as his stories are, h...more
Matt Phillips
Harry Crews. Doesn't get any better. Couple essays here and his autobiography. The novels are short ones––not his best in my opinion, but damn good still.
Ben Brackett
After reading one novel by Crews, I bought this collection and enjoy it thoroughly. His writing is crisp and no bullshit, violent both in its content and delivery. He makes me laugh uncomfortably, and has a knack for expressing unique ideas that you can tell came from a past that probably should have killed him.

This collection runs the gamut from an auto-biography of life growing up as a transient sharecropper in Georgia to fiction full of his trademark fucked up characters that somehow he mak

Mark
This is the book that introduced me to Harry Crews. The novels in here are brutal. The introduction (by Crews) is beautiful. His essay, "Climbing the Tower", about Charles Whitman's murderous rampage in 1966 is worth the price of the book. But "A Child: The Biography of a Place" is my favorite memoir. And his essay, "Fathers, Sons, Blood", is one I shared with my Dad — and with my son, Sean, when he became a father. RIP, Harry Crews.
Adam
Harry Crews is a great writer generally, but I really love the first part of this collection - its a memoir of his growing up a sharecropper kid in Bacon County, Georgia. Some of his other stories get a bit fantastical for me (like "The Car") but I would very much recommend Crews to those who enjoy Southern gothic fiction.

This is the second time I read this; I guess I first read it about 10 years ago.
Richard
Padgett Powell once said that Three By Flannery O'Connor was "pound-for-pound the finest value in literature." This tome runs a close second--Crews' autobiography, which is perhaps his finest book and one of the finest accounts of southern storytelling ever, some of his best essays and two classic novels. Okay, not his best novels, but ones worth reprinting.
Becky
You get three books in one, and I think they're all great. Childhood is about growing up dirt poor in the backwoods of Georgia with only a sears catalog to read. The Gypsie's Curse is the tale of the woes of a legless body builder. Car is just insane. Read this and you will not be sorry
Seth
Nov 11, 2013 Seth marked it as to-read
"She came to understand that all the best fiction is about the same thing: people doing the best they can with what they've got to do with, sometimes acting with honor, sometimes not, sometimes with love and compassion and mercy, and sometimes not."
-From the introduction

Karen
I only got through about 50 pages--just not coherent enough for me to follow, though I wish I could because he expresses some great ideas and puts together some great images. I just can't follow the tangents and keep track of what he's writing about...
Pat
The memoir, A Childhood, is the best part of this collection from tough-guy writer Harry Crews. And the essay at the end isn't bad either. I hope he was telling it true, but even if he wasn't, it was a fine read.
Kath
Really like his voice and his memoir/essays -- would have rated this a five if it wasn't for one story that was well told but whose characters I couldn't really get into. Amazingly clear southern voice.
Zack
"How do you like your blue-eyed boy, Mr. Death?" http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...
Heather
My favorite is "The Gypsy's Curse." I wrote a song about it long ago. I had just returned from a trip around the south and the swamplands haunted me.
Eric
This is a must-read collection by one of our most unique southern authors. Rough, brutal, tender, expansive, empathetic, hysterical and macabre.
Michael
The "fathers and sons" essay is powerful and honest with full abandon. HC is too terrible to hit the mainstream, but damn. Good job man.
Kayla Rae Whitaker
Devoured "A Childhood"- will return to it later for "Car" and the essays. This is not a book I want to speed through.
Chris
All the asshole Michael Vick haters should have to read this book- the south is not boston or new york assholes
Robin
The first part of the book would rate 5 stars, but the other stories made it drop by one star, though still great.
Job Dalomba
Crews is a weird fellow. However the man whose class I had to read this for makes Crews look pleasant.
Christine
I love him. So good. A writer of hilarious and dark novels and an extremely gifted essayist.
  • High Lonesome
  • The Portable Faulkner
  • Kentucky Straight: Stories
  • Silent Dancing: A Partial Remembrance of a Puerto Rican Childhood
  • Harlan Ellison's Watching
Harry Eugene Crews was born during the Great Depression to sharecroppers in Bacon County, Georgia. His father died when he was an infant and his mother quickly remarried. His mother later moved her sons to Jacksonville, Florida. Crews is twice divorced and is the father of two sons. His eldest son drowned in 1964.

Crews served in the Korean War and, following the war, enrolled at the University of...more
More about Harry Crews...
A Feast of Snakes A Childhood: The Biography of a Place BODY The Knockout Artist Scar Lover