Start by marking “The Secret Power Within” as Want to Read:
The Secret Power Within

The Secret Power Within

Chuck Norris has spent a lifetime studying the martial arts, earning several black belts and world championships. Now, through anecdotes about his own
personal struggles and triumphs, Norris explains how the ancient system of Zen--the core philosophy behind the martial arts--can help each of us achieve
spiritual tranquillity and self-confidence.

The Secret Power Within is bot
Published January 6th 1997 by Harmony (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Power Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Power Within

Michael
Mar 06, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok
This isn't a book review, although I have read the book. This is more of a political tirade. Continue at your own risk.

A friend recently sent me a link to one of Chuck Norris's articles, "What if Mother Mary Had Obamacare?", an article just as inane as its title. It might surprise many of you to learn this, but I was a pretty big Chuck Norris fan before discovering this side of him (solely based on his skills as a martial artist and his place in martial arts history, not AT ALL based on his act
Jake Danishevsky
A lot of people know Chuck Norris as an actor, Walker Texas Ranger. Some might even know him as a karate expert. I have just realized another very important trade about one of the greatest role models in the American history, that he is a writer. After reading this book, I was amazed to find out how a man who has come from nothing has achieved so much and also has a talent to be an author of such an incredible masterpiece, which is a great addition to my book collection.

Carlos Ray Norris a.k.a.
Zac
Jan 25, 2014 Zac rated it liked it
My sensei lent me this while I went into the hospital (not for anything martial-arts-related).

Norris wants to tell about the role of Zen in the martial arts, connecting the mental and physical arts. He states honestly that he doesn't claim as much understanding of Zen as others could, and when he talks about Zen it seems to me he's not wrong but not quite there.

I really like when Norris talks about the ways martial arts training can affect someone's life beyond just physical exercise or fighting
Bassaidai88
Sep 13, 2016 Bassaidai88 rated it liked it
What I really liked about this book was Chuck's personal experiences with legends in the martial arts like Bruce Lee. The personal anecdotes as they relate to Zen are meant to demonstrate how Zen can be applied in our everyday life and not just as some esoteric spiritual thing. It was also interesting to me that Chuck delved more into the Zen aspect of the martial arts later. He was absolutely correct in saying: "The basic philosophy of any martial arts is designed to bring you closer to yoursel ...more
Max
Jul 22, 2011 Max rated it liked it
I have to make a distinction between the author and the text.

Chuck Norris has almost become a pop culture icon, in jokes, as a mediocre actor at best. My generation doesn't remember him as a legitimate and incredibly competition martial artist. That being said a lot of his personal views are rather unsettling when it comes issues of civil rights, equality and theology. His opinions should be taken with a rather large grain of salt.

That being said the text is about the influence of zen practices
Mkcheung001
May 27, 2016 Mkcheung001 rated it liked it
This was a fun read back in the day and still a good one for inspiration for those who practice martial arts. It's been several years since I've read it and my views have changed but in my opinion, it's still worth checking out.
Susan
Jul 29, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
I wasn't a fan until I read this book. Checked it out of the library and then bought it.
Emily
Oct 15, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
This was an interesting story, but not quite what I expected. It kind of read like a rough outline. The chapters were about 3 pages long, so it made it feel like it was a fast read. Unfortunately, it was awkwardly written, which made it hard to stay engaged.

The content was amazing, so I slogged through it because I was really invested in learning about Chuck's pursuit of Zen and his life and what got him there. I just wish he had hired a ghost writer. He's an amazing man with a great story to t
T.T. K.
Nov 29, 2014 T.T. K. rated it really liked it
Great book from a great person.
Karen
Apr 13, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Great book , going to read it again just ordered it online
Lisa Rodriguez
Dec 16, 2008 Lisa Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
One of my first books that I read that was writen by Chuck Norris whom happens be my favorate actor. It gives insight on how to live your life and how to find the inner self inside yourself. while reading this book I found alot of insight about myself and people around me. I recommend it to anyone. Young teen or adult.
Steve
Mar 22, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
Chuck said: "My friends call me Carlos." Senor Norris certainly is wise about the ways of zen. Readers may also be interested in his view of martial arts in the US before Kung Fu TV showed us the glamour. He also knew Bruce Lee well.
Brian Olsen
Jun 14, 2013 Brian Olsen rated it it was amazing
I think very good, it helps put Zen into a simple point of view. It also brings out some of his life and how it adapted to verious things and also about his brother Wieland sacrificing himself for his men in the US Army.
Eric
Feb 28, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
People might poke fun at Chuck but he is one successful and grounded person. He gives very simplistic view to complicated situations. I have read this book three times in the last 10 years.
Misericordia ❣
Mar 27, 2013 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.

The concept of Circle as balancing my day-to-day life is fascinating - must use )))
Big
Jul 06, 2008 Big rated it really liked it
This was an outstanding book. Chuck's life and Christian values provide a great example for all to follow.
David
Feb 17, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-1997
I only vaguely remember reading this 12 years ago. But I am giving it 5 stars for my own safety.
Kyle
Aug 29, 2011 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
When Chuck Norris writes a book about how to live, you read it and live it! Enough said.
Bill
Dec 16, 2014 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Quick read, some interesting things - like Steve McQueen convinced Chuck to try acting.
Sye
Nov 11, 2012 Sye rated it did not like it
Read this when i was 13. There are certain anecdotes that seem a little farfetched
elscorcho
Jan 16, 2012 elscorcho rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2001, non-fic
i didn't get it......someone said i should read it.. and i just didn't get it....
Peter
Apr 11, 2011 Peter rated it liked it
It is a little slow going but I'll get through it and let you know.
Cole
Apr 07, 2011 Cole added it
Shelves: the-chuck-shelf
The ultimate fighter talks about the secret to zen.
Robert
May 20, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
Very good book.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Aug 14, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Aug 10, 2016
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
  • Chuck Norris Vs. Mr. T: 400 Facts About the Baddest Dudes in the History of Ever
  • Letters of the Dragon
  • Dynamic Karate
  • 212 the Extra Degree
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • The Shaolin Workout: 28 Days to Transforming Your Body and Soul the Warrior's Way
  • The Amazing Results of Positive Thinking
  • It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Buddha Boy
  • KI in Daily Life
  • Compassion in Action: Setting Out on the Path of Service
  • The Magic Of Awareness
  • Stress Busters (Stress Management Techniques) How to use stress to your advantage, beat burnout, and accomplish anything - on your terms
  • Karate-Do Nyumon
  • Life in the World Unseen
  • Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice
Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

If you spell Chuck Norris wrong on Google it doesn't say, "Did you mean Chuck Norris?" It simply replies, "Run while you still have the chance."
More about Chuck Norris...