Start by marking “Against All Odds: My Story” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Against All Odds: My Story
Published September 30th 2004 by B&H Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Against All Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against All Odds

Toby Brennen
I ordered "Against All Odds: My Story" on a whim and am I glad I did. I knew who Chuck Norris was and a little of his accomplishments as a martial artist so thought it would be a fun read. (I may have accidentally bumped into him a tournament a few years back, although not totally sure.)

"Against All Odds" is a relatively easy read and for the most part clearly lays out the life experiences that developed Mr. Norris' character. He shares many personal memories that are obviously important to him
Vaughan
A Wonderful, brutally honest account of a life of a shy poor kid who grew up to be the legend that is Chuck Norris. Very inspirational and honest.
Melissa
Sometimes I'm just thrilled to read a book that I feel my grandma would appreciate. Chuck Norris has a story I'm quite confident my grandma as well as the majority of my family can appreciate: from hardship to success with a faithful mother who instills in her own son the belief that he can do anything and the belief that there is a God who loves him and has plans for him.

Aside from feeling like I was making my family proud - I really enjoyed learning about Chuck Norris as he desires to be portr
Hotavio
Chuck Norris has assumed a mythological status. Having been exposed to his (often not so great movies) growing up, My father's respect for him was kind of passed off to me as a mix of admiration and curiosity. As an adult with my own political preferences, I was acutely aware of his conservative leanings and his political connections with the Bushes. Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the book anyway.

First off...I will say that Norris can't write. At times, he comes off as disorganize
Patrick
One variation on the popular Internet meme about Chuck Norris and his toughness is that "You don't find Chuck Norris; Chuck Norris finds you." That might be said of this book, which I picked up at a used bookstore more than a year ago but finished reading more recently, at a time when its "never give up" message has more resonance for me than it otherwise might.

This is part biography, part pep talk, and all written in a conversational style that Chuck's experienced coauthor had the sense to leav
Susan B

Chuck Norris tells the story of his life from birth to the present (2004). A "blue baby" at birth, he certainly had good reason to be blue, living with an abusive, alcoholic father until his mother finally walked away from the marriage when Chuck was fifteen. After her divorce, his mother met and married Chuck's stepfather, George, who became a positive, encouraging figure to her three boys.

Immediately after high school, Chuck enrolled in the military, and it wasn't long before he was serving in
Grantreid
The authors purpose of this book was to inform. Chuck Norris was telling the reader about his life, from beginning to end. He was telling this book from his eyes and he wanted to reader to know what it was like to be him. Although Chuck Norris knew that no one could see the world as clearly as he did, he did know that some people would get entertainment out of this book, but it was still a book to inform.
The theme of this book has a lot to do with believing. Chuck Norris believed in god for a
Jakob
This book was a biography about the life of, obviously, Chuck Norris. I think that Chuck Norris wanted to write a story of his life because he wanted people to know what his life was really like. His life was actually pretty rough to start out with, instead of the presumed celebrity life where everything was handed to him on a silver platter. In this book, there seemed to be a theme of perseverance throughout. Not quite survival, but just persevering through the day and all the obstacles thrown ...more
Audrey Grant
I am finding this book very different than I expected.
I like his narrative style. It is very much like mine when I work on my own story. Simple, factual, and very honest. I like that a lot.

I appreciate greatly Mr. Norris' humbleness in that while realizing that yes he worked HARD to earn each of his accomplishments in life... Without God, Prayer, Faith, Family, & Friends, he would not have many, if any, of those blessings.
Brett
Inspirational. I purchased this book after reading it because I want my son to read this. This is the story of a man who fought for his opportunities and made the best of them, because his values and his priorities are in order. He's always been a hero of mine. Having read his life's story, he's my super-hero. In terms of the book itself, Chuck tells his story in simple, unassuming prose that is full of humor and humility. It's almost as if he's next to you narrating in person. The only disappoi ...more
Mackenzie Dare
I enjoyed reading this inspirational story. It shows how even those with the worst starts can overcome, and not only make something og their lives but become famous. I like the way that it was written, as if Mr. Norris was telling someone his story. I appreciated the way this book was written cleaning and encouraged good morals. I liked how he talked openly about his Christianity. He told many engaging stories about his life. They were comical, inspiring, engaging, and right-living encouraging. ...more
Tiffany
chuck norrisI think it's safe to say that most people in America know who Chuck Norris is. Not only is he a great actor and karate champion, but he's also a Christian man. A good Christian man in Hollywood is hard to find nowadays. After you read this book, I think you will be encouraged by his testimony.

I am always fascinated when I learn of the stand Christian actors take for their faith, and am encouraged to see them making a difference by making wholesome entertainment. I loved reading Chuck
Dana
I picked up the Kindle edition of this book last week when it was on sale at Amazon for 99 cents. It still is if you're interested!

I really enjoyed this book, and I wouldn't have really called myself a "Chuck Norris fan." I used to watch "Walker, Texas Ranger", but that's about it. And, I didn't realize that he was a strong Christian.

I enjoyed reading this book both as a story of his life, as a sports motivator, and as he shared Christian wisdom. Yes, he isn't perfect. But, I love how he shares
Clara M.
This book is an autobiography by Chuck Norris. Throughout the book Chuck explains his life story from when he was born to about ten years ago. Chuck explains his childhood; he talks about his caring mother who is a true believer in Gods plan, his drunk father that got shot in World War II, and his two little brothers. He talks about his air force experience and how he began martial arts. He talks about his first wife and his kids. He talks about his rough start to a successful acting career. And ...more
Melissa
Most celebrity stories are disappointing. They rarely live up to the tv personality they portrayed but Chuck Norris focuses on living a life true to the God-fearing, good guy he most often played. In a business (& world) that so blatantly pushes a life of immorality, Norris' faith-based lifestyle is refreshing. He is a role model I greatly appreciate, however I would warn readers that not all of his convictions are scriptural and encourage them to read the gospel for themselves to find the t ...more
Mrs. Riding
I enjoyed learning a little more about Chuck Norris. Unlike other celebrity autobiographies, this one wasn't all about how wonderful he is, but how he worked hard, has been through difficult times, has made some mistakes and still gives credit to those around him who helped him along the way. Mr. Norris also believes that his faith was an important factor in his ultimate success. Considering all of the Chuck Norris statements that go around, this book was a refreshing peek into the real Chuck No ...more
Nathaniel Burnham
Once I began reading, I found I could not stop. Norris's story is so incredible! He relates his background and the details of his life in a way that captivates i=his audience. I especially liked seeing how, even the best of the best is human. His success despite trials and failures is a great example to us of perseverence against the odds. I would definitely recommend this book to those searching for an inspirational read.
Jon
For anyone who wants to read an inspirational book. Chuck Norris is a Christ driven man who had a hard life and over came the odds. He accredits his place in life to Christ yet understands that we all make mistakes and he's not afraid to write about his mistakes and how he learned from them. It's nice to read a book that you can actually see how Christ has work in his life. To me it was a very inspirational book.
Tom Schulte
Chuck Norris' autobiography is so tough, I have to keep it alone on a shelf. Any other book I put there ends up torn and scattered on the floor.
Kimberly Hicks
Aug 27, 2015 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Amazon
Shelves: read-on-kindle
I've had this book on my shelf for a long time, and I'm so glad I picked the right time to read it. Chuck is a legend, an icon, if you will, and what's so funny is that I'm positive Chuck wouldn't agree with any of those things. He's so humble and a devout Christian and believes heavily in his faith and God. His "soul" purpose is to serve others, and I think Chuck does a great job at that.

Not only was I a fan of his work in martial arts, but taking his expertise to a whole new level by lending
Joshua Degreiff
Amazing autography!

Chuck against all odds, I know he was a great actor but I never knew his life how hard was to be what he is now. He indeed is a amazing down earth person humble and kind. I like his attitude of life he never give up and give in of the adversely of life, also he always give a chance to person around him to success, he always believe in God always has something special in your life and work very well in him! This books give me a new look of life!
Mekeisha
Loved this story! Now I know why there are many jokes about Chuck being such a kick-*!@ guy. He once beat 22 black belts in a row. Crazy!

I was struck by his tenacity and discipline; it was convicting, actually. He seems to always have some goal that he is reaching for. He seems to feel that anything is possible as long as you are determined and committed to an end. I love that he shared so candidly about his Christian faith; I don't think I knew that about him before.
Jason
Read book I believe a couple of times and love it. Guess no surprise a fan of most auto/ bio books I read. Whether I know much or little about the person that it is about. Then again been a life long fan of Chuck's. Knew most stuff about him before hand except his early days before he became world known. Book I can see myself reading time and time again
Sharon Morris Marks
I really enjoyed this book. It showed me Chuck Norris is human, just like the rest of us. He had me confused one time, when he was talking about his wife Gena, but then he backtracked to update me. I can see why he wrote the way he did...he was finishing his story even though it could be confusing at times. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Chuck Norris.
Jamie Lester
Wow !!! What a book.

First off I love Chuck Norris, his book reflects his growing up and all of the obstacles along the way. And most of all his believe in God and his and his wife strong family morals. This book is really amazing. My husband told me about this book, I recommend this book to anyone .
Sandra
I never knew Chuck Norris was such a personable guy! Really enjoyed his book and love that he has such strong Christian beliefs. I enjoyed reading about his life, trials and triumphs. I've seen some of his movies and watched Walker Texas Ranger, but never really knew anything about him. So glad I took the time to read this!
Richard
chuck norris is a power of positive thinking freak- he trained donny osmond and bob barker in karate.
his speech coach for "Good Guys Wear Black was Jonathan Harris a.k.a. Dr. Smith.
his intelligence level is a little below the average Beastie Boys fan, and he does not ponder moral ambiguity.
John Cress
This is an interesting read as Mr. Norris has many experiences to draw on. I do like the theme of God watching over, even when one may not be doing the things he or she needs to be doing. I also agree with the approach of working hard to achieve goals. I walked away from this one thinking that if I ever met Chuck Norris than he would be more than happy to stop and have a conversation. I saw this as an enjoyable and motivating read.
Don Yoder
Walker Texas Ranger and then some!

This was a very quick read. I have even more respect for Chuck now that I've read about his challenging childhood and his deep faith. This is an inspirational and entertaining book.
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Come Endless Darkness (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #4)
  • Delirious: My Journey with the Band, a Growing Family, and an Army of Historymakers
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse: Insider Business Tips from a Former Mob Boss
  • Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching the Game!: A Woman's Guide to Loving Pro Football
  • Seal of God
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Stripping Down: A Memoir
  • It's Your Time: Finding Favor, Restoration, and Abundance in Your Life Every Day
  • Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer
  • The Great Eight: How to Be Happy (Even When You Have Every Reason to Be Miserable)
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Making Love Last Forever
  • The Facts of Life and Other Dirty Jokes
Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

If you spell Chuck Norris wrong on Google it doesn't say, "Did you mean Chuck Norris?" It simply replies, "Run while you still have the chance."
More about Chuck Norris...
The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book: 101 of Chuck's Favorite Facts and Stories The Secret Power Within Black Belt Patriotism: How We Can Restore the American Dream The Justice Riders Secret Of Inner Strength