Start by marking “Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen

Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen

In 1975,Gourmet magazine published a series on traditional Japanese food —the first of its kind in a major American food magazine — written by a graduate of the prestigious Yanagihara School of classical cuisine in Tokyo. Today, the author of that groundbreaking series, Elizabeth Andoh, is recognized as the leading English-language authority on the subject. She shares her ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Ten Speed Press (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Washoku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Washoku

Amanda Nuchols
Mar 09, 2011 Amanda Nuchols rated it really liked it
I have several Japanese cookbooks covering everything from hotpots to sushi, but Washoku is excellent because it covers everyday Japanese "home cooking." Andoh covers all of the basics, from what you need in your pantry to how to wash and cook rice properly. She also explains the Japanese philosophy of food, presentation and balanced meals through Buddhism and Shinto with The Five Principles.
The only drawback for some readers in more remote areas of America would be the lack of suggestions for s
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This cookbook is more practical than it first appears. I was afraid it would be more of a coffee-table book than something I could actually use, but it has useful guides to Japanese ingredients, cooking equipment, and techniques. The recipes sounded a bit exotic, but once I started reading my way through them, I saw that Andoh's guides gave all the information necessary and that the recipes weren't all that arcane after all. The major drawback I see, however, is that Andoh assumes that you can g ...more
Jen
Sep 15, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
The only possible problem I might have with this book is that I waited so long to buy it. This is a must-read for anyone contemplating setting up house in Japan, as well as those interested in Japanese home cooking outside of Japan.

The set-up of the book makes it read like a story but also easy to refer to at a later date. Each recipe has added facts about presentation or how it fits into Japanese culture as a whole.

My cooking has improved a great deal since reading this. I have taken cooking l
Rachel
Mar 27, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this cookbook better than the last one I reviewed from the author, Kansha Cooking. I thought it was better organized and easier to understand. Plus most of the ingredients were pretty accessible and the recipes easier to make as long as you did a few basic recipes, such as the Basic Sea Stock (Dashi). The indexes were in the front of the book as an intro before you came to the main body of recipes. Once again, the design of the book and photographs within were beautiful to look at.

As
Charlotte
Sep 16, 2013 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: foodie
Washoku is not the end-all perfect beginners guide to Japanese cooking that I was promised. (Looks pointedly at all the glowing 5-star reviews.) There are admittedly some great features but Japanese cooking is new to me and I'm finding it to be far from intuitive. I blame my own lack of familiarity – but I did have high hopes that this cookbook would be my guide. Unlike the author I don’t have an awesome Japanese mother-in-law to show me what to do each step of the way, I just have this book and ...more
Simon
Mar 22, 2015 Simon rated it really liked it
a gem for those interested in the basics (both conceptually and practically) of the japanese cuisine.
Amanda
Apr 22, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I love this book, really need to buy it. I found it adventurous and informative, great traits for a cookbook.
Leifer
Jun 18, 2010 Leifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm still using this book almost every week. I want her to write more.

it took me a bit to get into it, mostly because of the overwhelming vocabulary of cooking/food terms, but once I did I realized it is actually pretty simple recipes (which utilize a lot of leftovers, at that!) You could call this "home cooking" which I've never seen another Japanese cookbook touch.

Would love to meet her someday.
Juli Anna
Oct 19, 2015 Juli Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
While the food in this cookbook sounds delicious, I don't know how useful these recipes really are. Most of the recipes are just different combinations of other recipes in the book, which makes it very odd to navigate. One has to make at least two or three other recipes to even start a meal. Very good encyclopedia of Japanese ingredients, but other than that, not very practical.
Sayaka Nasu
Feb 23, 2012 Sayaka Nasu rated it liked it
The recipes in this cookbook are mostly country/comfort food I grew up eating at my grandmother's in Japan. The book has very nice photos and explains different types of vegetables, etc. I wish there were more photos accompanying the recipes. A third of the book explains the ingredients (which is important) but most people purchasing the book already know these things?
Kathleen
What a fantastic book! I want to buy a copy and work my way through each recipe. Andoh explains traditional methods for achieving balance in a meal, traditional attitudes about food, etc. She also gives an extensive description of a well stocked Japanese pantry. Beautifully written and photographed. A great resource for the home cook who loves Japanese food.
Rachael
Jan 10, 2010 Rachael rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is phenomenal. If you have any interest in learning to cook Japanese cuisine, this should be your go-to tome. It covers pantry basics, tools, techniques, and recipes. Andoh is considered to be the preeminent Western expert on Japanese cuisine and is an excellent writer--both of which show in this book. It is extensive and easy to follow.
Matt
Apr 13, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
This is a really, really good book if you want to learn Japanese home cooking. The food in this book is the food that, up until recently was the food eaten in the majority of Japanese homes. It's honestly Japanese soul-food. Most of my standard recipes are some variation on Elizabeth Andoh's.
Mariam
Jul 31, 2008 Mariam rated it liked it
The recipes are either hit or miss. I was really looking for something focusing on dishes popular in Japan (i.e. takoyaki, okonomiyaki, agedashi), and was dissapointed to not find them in there. That being said, it's a beautiful volume and is good reference for some of the basics.
Jennifer Maiser
Jan 27, 2008 Jennifer Maiser rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. It's sometimes a little tedious to follow her precise directions, but I understand the reasoning and have learned more from this book about Japanese cooking than any other.
Craig
Oct 13, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing
This by far my favorite cookbook. the first 90 pages are just about the ingredients. all the recipices are simple, tasty and cheap.
Tam
Jun 24, 2012 Tam rated it it was amazing
Awesome for anyone interested in Japanese cuisine. Can't wait to try out some recipes.
Chadwick
Jan 22, 2008 Chadwick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cooks
Shelves: food
Finally, a real sourcebook for the fundamentals of Japanese cooking.
Alicia
Jan 28, 2008 Alicia marked it as to-read
Shelves: cooking
This looks hot, I can't wait to become a consummate japanese chef.
Cindy
Dec 30, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
checked it out a second time and like it so much might have to buy
Camille Mclellan
Camille Mclellan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
C.Stoyanova
C.Stoyanova rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Ethan P
Ethan P marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Mr Pickles
Mr Pickles rated it liked it
REBECCA BYRNE
REBECCA BYRNE rated it really liked it
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Katherine Richards
Katherine Richards marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Paige
Paige rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • Harumi's Japanese Cooking: More than 75 Authentic and Contemporary Recipes from Japan's Most Popular Cooking Expert
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More