Start by marking “Auf Befehl des Königs” as Want to Read:
Auf Befehl des Königs

Auf Befehl des Königs (Lairds' Fiancées #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  34,714 ratings  ·  1,178 reviews
Nach dem Willen König Edgars von Schottland soll Alec Kincaid, Anführer eines mächtigen schottischen Clans, eine junge Engländerin zur Frau nehmen. Als er Jamie zum ersten Mal sieht, verwandelt sich Skepsis in Begehren. Doch die junge Frau hat sich geschworen, einem Schotten niemals ihre Liebe zu schenken.
Published 1991 by Bastei Lübbe (first published January 1st 1989)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I'm not feeling very literate today, so I am going to compose this review around a list of reasons why I loved this book.

Reasons Why I Loved The Bride by Julie Garwood

1. Jamie is a great heroine. Okay, she might have some Mary Sue-ness going on, although I hate using that term. She is really gorgeous, very nice, oh-so sweet, great at pretty much everything, giving, and self-sacrificing. However, she's totally loveable. For me, that's the opposite of a Mary Sue, because Mary Sues are characters
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Huge 5+ Stars

I loved this book. It's one of those feel good stories that leaves you smiling for days. If I was to sum-up this book with one word, "delightful" comes to mind.I honestly can't think of a better word to describe the experience I had while reading it.

Jamie has become one of my all time favorite heroines. Julie Garwood has a way of writing heroines that are strong willed without becoming annoying (hard to do in my opinion.) Jamie'sone of the most endearing character I've read. She's i
Now as you have noticed, I have been reading many historical romance novels lately and some of my favorite types of historical romance novels have to deal with Highlanders since the men in those novels are ultra sexy! Well, Julie Garwood’s “The Bride,” is definitely no exception and it was the first book that I have read from romance author Julie Garwood. “The Bride” is surely one hot romantic story that will set your romantic senses afire!

By order of King Henry and King Edgar, the strong and mi
Julie James
I'd rate this 3.75 stars (or whatever a B minus rating would convert to).

I wanted to love this book because it's a favorite for so many readers, but couldn't quite get there. There were several parts that made me smile, like when the heroine wears black to her wedding, and when she dumps water on the soldiers who are making fun of English women. And the ending was great, with the jewels. (I won't say more for spoiler purposes.)

My main problem connecting with the book lies with the heroine, who
What a charming story was that!!!

Really, guys!!! That book caught me by surprise...
I'm used to read renegence historical romance and this medieval was my first, but i enjoyed it very much.
I won't lie to you. In the beginning, i was a little bit lost, but then the storyline captivated me...
No, no, no... I don't think that it was the story only...
I really loved this couple and especially Jamie...
She made me laughing all the time with her actions...
And she manage to make the cruel, wild warrior
4,5 sparkling Stars - for a fun and really entertaining sweet historical romance

This romance is both sweet, romantic, a little silly and very funny. It's predictable but so very charming and well done that I stuck completely in the cute trap. A story that made me smile and feel so good - a perfect "feelgood" to read for all lovesick romantics.
“Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me." The choice had been made.”
~ ~ ~ ~
I MUST SAY SAY THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK….. will get back to proper reviewing soon! AFTER MY ROAD TRIP TO IRELAND ....xxI

Duchess Nicole
"Did you get a good look at her, then?" he added in a rush.
Alec nodded.
"You'll be taking her with you, won't you?" The Kincaid stared at the old man a long minute before answering.
"Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me."

An absolute must read for any Garwood fans! Quite simply a treasure of a historical romance. If you can get ahold of the audio, this is one of the better narrators I've heard as well. If not, the story stands on it's own, a masterpiece set in the Scottish Highlands.

This is the
(from my book blog)

Some of you may remember that I had an ambitious (for me) TBR list that included two SRS books, and The Hunger Games. It will surprise none of you that I made it through The Hunger Games before I decided that was enough heavy shit and people dying. I decided it was time for some lighter fare, or at least a book that didn’t prominently involve death. Enter The Bride by Julie Garwood and its 172 5-star reviews on Amazon. Because apparently the fanatically positive reviews for Sh
Outstanding and amazing! Where is the sixth star?

I waited forever for this book but it was well worth the wait - it was utterly amazing. I laughed so much. I am so glad that JG didn't listen to the expert who told her to downplay the humor and gave in to the urge. It was hilarious! But the humor didn't take away the divine romance between Alec and Jamie.

The trouble with too good books is that there is no words to do it justice. I loved everything about this book! Alec was an amazing über hot her
Lisa Kay
What can I say about this story other than a classic Julie Garwood book still delivers? I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read this one; thought I’d try the audiobook this time. The narration, by Rosalyn Landor, brings this book to life. I’ll be seeking out more of her audiobooks.
I have to say I was disappointed by this book. I love Julie Garwood and she is a wonderful author but this just didn't pass muster. The story it self was just fine, it's the characters that bugged me to no end. The way the characters were written was very confusing because at the beginning you are miss lead that the heroine is a strong and independent woman who is capable and smart, yet a few chapters later and a few conversations with her and all those descriptions are tossed out the window and ...more

I need to say first, that I freakin LOVE this book!!!!

Image Hosted by

Now, let's crack up the review, shall we?

" You've just described the Highlands in winter,lass. And you will marry me."
Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.

By orders of his king, Alec Kincaid must take an english bride. So alongside with Daniel, he goes to pick one of baron's Jamison daughters.
And well, after getting some a
Re-read again and still loving this fun, medieval romance and all those sexy Highlanders:)!

Once upon a time di negri yang jauh sekali di tahun 1102 di Skotlandia dan Inggris, kisah ini di mulai....In my opinion, this is a really sweet love story..let’s begin.
Alec Kincaid di gosipkan membunuh istri pertama nya dua tahun yll, dalam kondisi seperti itu dia di minta mengambil pengantin baru dari orang Inggris, atas permintaan Raja nya.
Di pilh lah anak-anak perempuan keluarga yang malas membayar pajak,keluarga Baron Jamison, yang memiliki 3 anak perempuan,dan 1 a
This was the first Julie Garwood novel I've read---I know, I know, shame on me!--- and it was great! I loved the setting, the sweet and slow romance that develops between Jamie and Alec and especially the love that blossoms between them.

I couldn't understand why Alec would give her such a hard time, making her work for his attention at times just to withhold it indefinitely at others. He seemed too arrogant and abrasive with Jamie but I came to understand his way of thinking. I got that he wasn'
Just great fun!! Unrealistic at times, but the characters are so charming and absorbing that you just want to see where the story takes you. Oh Alec...YUM! I wanted to peel him off the pages of the book. Set in his ways he is challenged on every level by Jamie, his snarky, sassy, no sense of direction, always pondering new bride. She has no clue as to the effect she has not only on Alec, but everyone who she comes in contact with. He, as well as his entire clan, are totally smitten with her. As ...more
This past week, I've been revisiting "old favorites" to see if they stand up to my initial impression. The Bride is one of those books that I read years ago and have never forgotten. Rereading it, I was reminded of why.

I think the true strength of this book lies within the heroine. Jaime is just a great lady. She is refreshingly honest, loyal, and quite a determined young woman. She is IMPOSSIBLE not to love, and as this book flies by, her actions and motives become oh so endearing. She is funn
Mishelle LaBrash
I tried to like this book, I really tried.

I went into this story with such enthusiasm cause of all the fantastic rating my GR community had been given it. It had some great moments, I will admit, but they were too few and far between to make the story itself great.

In the past, I started another of her books, Castles (Crown's Spies, #4) by Julie Garwood, and couldn't make it past the first few chapters. I think I may have to admit this particular author's style, is simply not my 'cup of tea'
I loved loved LOVED this book! Jamie was so feisty, and spunky enough to stand up to hunky Alec, who had strict opinions about how ladies should act.. Good thing Jamie overthrew them all!! :-) Now one of my favorite books! :-)
Mandi Schreiner
Alec Kincaid is my Scottish warrior husband. Y'all better step back.
İlk kez bir Julie Garwood kitabı okuyorum.Ve kitabı beğendim.Fakat ben okuduğum yorumlardan sonra çok büyük bir beklenti içine girmiştim.Ne yazık ki tamamını karşılayamadı.
Bunun nedeni belki de Judith Mcnaught ile karşılaştırmam olabilir emin değilim.Fakat dediğim gibi yine de beğendim (özellikle son kısımlarını)Ve okumaya değer olduğunu düşünüyorum :)
4.5 I'm much richer. I have you Stars
Silvana -SLiTsRead
5 Stars!

The Bride was such an easy read, simply perfect. One of the 'you can't put down till you reach the last page' kind of books, the writing never drags and the story line, though not original, was well executed. It was also funny, the banter between the main characters was hilarious- Their relationship was a delight to read about, no unnecessary angst and jealousy, just two people getting to know and love each other despite their differences.

The heroine usually is the make or break of the b
Zakirrah BookBlogger
5 Fantastic Stars!!

This is the first Julie Garwood book I have read, can you believe it? I can't. I loved this book, its definately going on my favourites shelf and one I will probably re-read when I'm in the mood for it. If you love strong female leads, alpha males or highlander historical romances this is the perfect book for you!

He'd deliberately lengthened his speech, giving her time to react to his announcement. He thought he was being most considerate.
She thought he was demented.

'Jamie was
A fun, quick read. Takes place in historical Scotland, when nearly naked kilt-wearing Scots were everywhere. I have no idea how historically (in)accurate this story is, and I don't care. The heroine has pretty modern ideas and manners, which I don't mind either. This story had a nice balance of eye candy, humor, steam and Kilts to keep me happy.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This has to be the cheesiest, most predictable, sappy historical romance novel EVER and I loved every moment of it.

Updated- oops..forgot to rate it.
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Laura V.
Llamarlo La novia rebelde me parece exagerado, Jamie es un amor *^*.
Es una mezcla de inocencia, perseverancia, ingenuidad, dulzura. Me hacía reír con sus ocurrencias o sus ideas sobre algunos asuntos. Alec tiene un sentido del humor que Jamie no comparte, así que es gracioso cuando están juntos, porque él le toma el pelo y ella ni se entera. XD
Es increíble cómo Jamie hace tanto lío en tan poco tiempo. Tiene un don de guerras (?)
Dato curioso al azar, esta prota, al igual del último libro que leí,
This is the worst kind of storytelling -- cliched, head-hopping, main characters always set to 11, supporting characters not really fleshed out. The h/h spend the entire book purposefully misunderstanding each other, screaming at each other, and having a lot of cliched but unmemorable sex. There's no real tension -- despite what Garwood wants you to think with all the damned shouting -- because there's no POV -- you always know what every character is thinking. Nothing is withheld. Nothing here ...more
Let's Talk About ...: The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees #1) 33 96 Sep 09, 2014 04:46PM
Looking for a book 46 318 Aug 29, 2014 06:29AM
Western and Medie...: BOM: October 2012 3 24 Oct 10, 2012 08:44AM
New member 3 137 Jul 13, 2012 10:07AM
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Never Seduce a Scot (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #1)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Lairds' Fiancées (2 books)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)
The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) Honor's Splendour The Prize The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

“She still hadn't caught on. Alec sighed. "Change your gown, Jamie, if that's your inclination. I prefer white. Now go and do my bidding. The hour grows late and we must be on our way."

She thought he was demented.

Jamie was, at first, too stunned to do more than stare in horror at the warlord. When she finally gained her voice, she shouted, "It will be a frigid day in heaven before I marry you, milord, a frigid day indeed."

"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."

Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.”
“My wife."
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?"