Start by marking “The Ten-Word Game” as Want to Read:
The Ten-Word Game

The Ten-Word Game (Lovejoy #23)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A mystery in the long-running series featuring the well-known antiques "divvy" and general bad boy, Lovejoy.
Published January 21st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published January 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ten-Word Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten-Word Game

Roberta
Jan 31, 2013 Roberta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading the Lovejoy books since the first one in the series and that is probably why I'm disappointed with this one. The first ones were so great that this one doesn't compare. Also, because Lovejoy got shanghaied, Tinker wasn't in this book and I do love Tink.

As I was reading this book I kept thinking about the reviews I've seen for Lee Child's last book A Wanted Man with readers complaining that Reacher spent 3/4 of the book riding in a car. Well, that's how I felt about this book.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2043954.html[return][return]Another Lovejoy book, from the later end of the series, and operating very much to the formula of richly realised foreign setting (in this case a cruise ship going round the Baltic, with special attention to St Petersburg), with Lovejoy mixed p in a heist most of whose details are incomprehensible (and remain so) and his supernatural sense of detecting genuine antiques a key plot point. The harder edges of the character from the earlier b ...more
Jeff Stanger
My least favorite of the Lovejoy series. Still worth the read if your a fan of the series, but be prepared to use a flowchart for all the characters involved.
Jen
Aug 25, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Makes me want to take a cruise. The ended summed up all a little too fast though.
Alisonpaddock
I just started this one - bought a bunch of older books at the library sale. It has been a while since I "visited" with old friend Lovejoy. He has always been one of my favorite rascals. Can't wait to see how he is going to pull a fast one this time!
Irene B.
Sep 23, 2011 Irene B. rated it really liked it
Lovejoy kidnapped and sent on an antiquing cruise to Russia. This one is very entertaining. Even though I am not into antiques myself, I do enjoy how the author sprinkles interesting stories about antiques and scams throughout his novels.
Tiina
Jan 12, 2011 Tiina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the other Lovejoy books that I've read, the story moves relatively slowly but with a lot of words and a lot of trivia. This was entertaining but there could have been more urgency.
Richard
Dec 15, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovejoy fleeing on a cruise to Russia. Great antiques, ordinary story. The Amber Room again, only not as much fun as Twining's book.
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 19, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Susan Lovell
Susan Lovell rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Gary Bunce
Gary Bunce rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Heidi Hardner
Heidi Hardner marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Joe Fuller
Joe Fuller marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Marni
Marni rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Fred Rauch
Fred Rauch rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Stephen Carlton
Stephen Carlton rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Neva Gronert
Neva Gronert rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Pia Lehtinen
Pia Lehtinen marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Grant is an English crime writer, who writes under the pen name Jonathan Gash. He is the author of the Lovejoy series of novels. He wrote the novel The Incomer under the pen name Graham Gaunt.

Grant is a doctor by training and worked as a general practitioner and pathologist. He served in the British Army and attained the rank of Major in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He was head of bacteriolo
More about Jonathan Gash...

Lovejoy (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Judas Pair (Lovejoy, #1)
  • Gold by Gemini (Lovejoy, #2)
  • The Grail Tree (Lovejoy, #3)
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • The Vatican Rip (Lovejoy, #5)
  • Firefly Gadroon (Lovejoy, #6)
  • The Sleepers of Erin (Lovejoy, #7)
  • The Gondola Scam (Lovejoy, #8)
  • Pearlhanger (Lovejoy, #9)
  • The Tartan Sell (Lovejoy, #10)