Start by marking “Trust Me” as Want to Read:
Trust Me

Trust Me

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  671 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
John Updike's short story collections are occasions for celebration -- the pleasures to be found in them are great indeed. This marvelous volume contains one gem after another, stories to be savored one at a time and returned to again and again.

Here is trust betrayed -- and fulfilled. Here are parents struggling to maintain that fragile claim on their offspring's childish
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 27th 1996 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me

Ana
Jun 07, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nesta coletânea de contos de John Updike, a questão da confiança, quase sempre traída, está subjacente a todas as histórias. Um livro de leitura rápida, muito bem escrito.
“Harold não tinha tido uma namorada durante muitos anos e foi obrigado a reaprender a delicada mistura de condescendência e de provocação que é o namoro”.
“Quando comecei a ir para a cama com Karen (…) tive dificuldade em aceitar o fervor excitado que ela punha em atos que com Mónica possuíam um certo peso solene, como de qualqu
Jacob
Mar 11, 2012 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Depending on how you count (and the dust jacket specifies at least three different ways of counting), Trust Me is John Updike's eighth collection of short stories. I think Updike is best approached as a short story writer, though he's a capable novelist and an excellent critic (I haven't read his poetry), and this is not a bad place to start. With respect to short fiction, Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories laid the foundation of his reputation; the stories collected in Trust Me are the bricks wi ...more
Lisa Kay
The Sixties
[image error]

After renewing this three times from the library without reading it, I’ve been picking away at this all month, motivated by the need for a “U” author to fulfill an A-Z Authors Challenge. Easy to do so, as these 22 are all pretty short stories ranging from three to 21 pages. I’m not big on infidelity, of which Mr. Updike writes a ton; however, he is absolutely brilliant at capturing a character in a short amount of time or conveying a theme in the most mundane of settings
Stephen Phillips
Yes, I feel strange giving John Updike a two-star rating. No, I did not want to keep reading about "great, slanting splashes" of New England infidelity strung together with "rhomboids broken by feathery silhouettes of houseplants."

Maybe I did let "the master's" penchant for flowery language get to me just this once.:)

There's no doubt that Updike ranks among the 20th Century greats, (Right? I remember my English prof mentioning him in the same sentence as Nathaniel Hawthorne) it's just that I've
Justin
Feb 10, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this collection of short stories loosely centered around a common theme of trust, Updike once again does a wonderful job of portraying imperfect relationships and human emotions. While he doesn't stray too far from his familiar milieu of adulterous, upper-crust New Englanders, he tells their stories in a way that makes you feel like you too are among them, sipping drinks and coveting your friends' wife in between bouts of tennis and trips to the vacation home.

There wasn't a single story out
Rachel
Jun 08, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updike's descriptions and use of imagery are staggeringly original and fresh. The narratives, too, often hinge on surprising twists. (Critics are often too harsh in their dismissal of Updike's abilities with narrative.) I especially enjoy Updike's themes, another feature of his writing that is too often described pejoratively. He was a man obsessed not only with middle-class adultery but with Protestant theology and church attendance. Never before in my life have I intentionally read fiction wit ...more
Timothy Knutson
I struggled to finish this. Maybe you have to be a middle aged divorcee to understand and appreciate this book, but I didn't get it. The whole thing just seemed like it was pounding "never get married, because someone will cheat and be awful and you will be miserable" into my head with every page. And then questioning why their daughters, already to the ancient age of mid-twenties, aren't getting married while reviewing all of their parents awful separations. I can't tell if that was supposed to ...more
Jason
Feb 07, 2015 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
John Updike is a great writer. He writes beautifully about middle aged divorcees. Is it poor taste to judge an author by his subject matter rather than his delivery? I just wish he'd chosen a different title, something like, "Divorced in New Hampshire". I give it two stars because it's heavy-handed. Updike is divorced and wants to write about it. Fine. But after a few stories, I feel like I should just go to Applebee's happy hour in an affluent suburb and start talking with a dude in a business ...more
Andy Miller
Jul 29, 2013 Andy Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many things to like about this collection of short stories written between 1962 and 1987 but one intriguing thing was that while the themes of these older stories, marriage, divorce, infedelity, remain with us, the context has changed. One marriage unraveled after a husband finds a home made valentine from a man in his wife's dresser--today such discoveries are made by accessing emails, facebook etc.The claudestine rendezvous described in the stories would both be easier and harder wit ...more
A.
Oct 30, 2012 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I read the original mass market edition of this book published by Fawcett in 1988. Mass market is now the territory of thrillers, romance, science fiction and mysteries. You won't find Zadie Smith or Junot Diaz or Ian McEwan published in the compact paperbacks like literary authors were in the 1980s.

The first few pages are devoted to excerpts from reviews. That's standard practice now, but what I loved about these reviews is that they highlight what different reviewers around the country said ab
Stewart
May 11, 2013 Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Updike is a master short story writer, and there are several gems in “Trust Me: Short Stories” a 1987 collection of stories from 1962 to 1987, most having appeared in The New Yorker.
I had read only one story before: “Unstuck” which originally ran in the Feb. 3, 1962, The New Yorker. It is a favorite of mine with its story of a man and woman living in Massachusetts trying to get their car out of the snow, the action an extended metaphor for their marriage and, as well, the actions in their
Christopher Hivner
This is only the second Updike book I have read so I'm not overly familiar with his work. This collection of stories explores the relationships between men and women, husbands and wives and many times their lovers. This is not an uplifting collection as most of the characters have serious personality flaws and troubled partnerships. Out of 20 or so stories there were 4 I really liked: "Trust Me", "Killing", "Still of Some Use" and "Getting into the Set". The rest were mainly OK, a few were very ...more
Carrie
Feb 04, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Carrie by: found on my own
In honor of Updike's recent death and my great fondness for his short fiction in particular, as well as his Rabbit series, I recently read "Trust Me,"which I happened to pick up at the library this fall in a strange coincidence. This book confirms was all the obituaries have been highlighting, the Updike was a real chronicler of the middle class, and an expert observer of the smaller moments in life, such as feeling sick on a plane, eyeing someone at a party, noticing the way someone smokes a ci ...more
David
Oct 28, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if usually sad stories about the upper middle in the ???50's???

First time exposure to the author. I heard about him at a conference Renee was presenting at...having read this I feel a little bit like part of the intellectual upper crust. That's nice.

In any case, this was good enough to cause me to seek out one of his novels, but not good enough to rush. I'll probably get it on CD next time I am at the library or in paperback next time I am at Bookman's.
Cathy
May 22, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these stories are from the 70's and eighties and cover the usual Updike territory of marriage, infidelity, growing up in a small town,etc. but interesting read especially after reading the Begley biography. And of course, the amazing way with words that can overcome any repetition in plotlines.
Catherine  Mustread
Nov 20, 2015 Catherine Mustread rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: Selected Shorts
Read "Unstuck" (the sixth in this collection) a short story in which shoveling the car out after a snow storm achieves a better climax for an unhappy couple than the previous night in bed.
Kevin Beary
I want to read more of him , this was a library book that I had to return. I only read a half-dozen or so stories. I was kinda depressed during one particular reading and found myself reading some of the pained relationship stories which didn`t lift my mood.
I do believe I will enjoy Updike in the future at a time when I have a tougher shell. He does paint precise and realistic pictures of emotions and interactions between people unlike I have ever read before. This is because despite a few hun
Iso Cambia
"Affection between women is a touching, painful, exciting thing for a man,..." (70)
________________

"How little, little to the point of nothingness, he was beneath those stars! ... And yet it was he who was witnessing the stars; they knew nothing of themselves, so in this dimension he was greater than they. As far as he could reason, religion begins with this strangeness, this standstill; faith tips the balance in favor of the pinpoint." (161)
________________

"The wrecker's ball,... it should be t
John
Mar 12, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection from the master, who just passed away last month. John Updike wrote his short stories about day-to-day life in the suburbs, and some people faulted him for using such a narrow canvas, but there are always moments in his stories that take your breath away. He was an absolute master at using the English language, and his sentences sing. Someone once described him as "the Fred Astaire of American letters", and it was a good way to sum him up. He made it look so easy, but of course ther ...more
David Gross
Mar 07, 2009 David Gross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I’ve read more John Updike than I can remember, mostly because the plot goes in one eye and out the other. I read Updike because the man uses words like Buddy Guy uses a guitar or Einstein uses a differential equation. He writes sentences that convey thoughts we mere mortals couldn’t get across in a chapter. This collection of short stories, mostly concerning the ordinary dramas of the modern New England upper-middle class, shows off his talent best, I think.
J
Feb 02, 2014 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incisive, honest stories about the failures and foibles of human relationships. The subjects are not endearing, but the prose is masterful. There are also very funny bits.
Ivan
Jan 29, 2016 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FIRST LINE REVIEW: "When Harold was three or four, his father and mother took him to a swimming pool." And the loss of trust began...and continues to be explored and dissected through these little nuggets of mid-life crises, painted by the man who wandered through just about every corridor of the human condition...good, bad and ugly...but always, it feels, honest.
Alice
Jan 28, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Updike very rarely disappoints me. These late stories are densely packed with human folly and sorrow. How many ways can people betray each other ? The expected themes of adultery, divorce and fractured families recur. Updike is a master. Not to mention that he was good at short stories, novels, poetry AND critical essays, which is highly unusual.
Kevin p.
Jun 19, 2008 Kevin p. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pay no mind, Mr. Updike, to my two star rating. I'm slightly biased in my review, being in a phase where my penchant for short stories that address the issues of suburbia, specifically suburbia in Massachusetts, is stretched to its thinnest. And don't despair; I'll be listing one of your novels on my 'to read' list in no time at all.
Hope
I love John Updike and reading this I remember why. This is a collection of short stories and they way he can draw a character and a complete story in sometimes just a few pages is so amazing. What a talent. I haven't read any Updike for a long time until this and now I am eager to catch up on what I have missed.
Anna Szabo
Dec 29, 2012 Anna Szabo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't go wrong with John Updike. His "Rabbit" series is phenomenal as is the "Witches of Eastwick" and "A Month of Sundays" series- but he truly shines as a writer of short stories. They are just lovely little morsels of literature....albeit often depressing morsels. But of good quality!
Josh Cutting
Ok, I'm sorry. I know that Updike is an American instituion. Lord knows I'm a sucker for American artists, but come on. I tried Rabbit run, twice. Couldn't do it. And this one. How much festering New England adultery can one really read about? It's like a pretentious Desperate Housewives.
Tamra
Learn A Trade
The City
Philip
Mar 19, 2008 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The picture of a book cover that Goodreads puts up for this is totally wrong!

These are good examples of stellar Updike short fiction. I tend to like his stories very much, and considerably more than most of his novels that I've read or tried to read.
Ethan
Jun 26, 2008 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Updike's style. I also like being sent to the dictionary once in a while. This collection of short stories deals with middle age. Many stories deal with starting over or moving on after divorce, affairs, children growing up, etc.
  • The World of a Few Minutes Ago
  • The Best American Short Stories 2005
  • Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  • The Best American Short Stories 1989
  • A Fanatic Heart
John Hoyer Updike was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for his careful craftsmanship and prolific writing, havin ...more
More about John Updike...

“But cities aren’t like people; they live on and on, even though their reason for being where they are has gone downriver and out to sea.” 9 likes