Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)

Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" (Once Upon A Time Fairytales)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  5,861 ratings  ·  489 reviews
"ONCE UPON A TIME"
IS TIMELESS

The Princess Aurore has had an unusual childhood. Cursed at birth, Aurore is fated to prick her finger at the age of sixteen and sleep for one hundred years -- until a prince awakens her with a kiss. So, to protect her, Aurore's loving parents forbid any task requiring a needle.

Unable to sew or embroider like most little princesses, Aurore...more
Published October 24th 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published December 1st 2002)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
110th out of 1,470 books — 6,404 voters
The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron DokeyBefore Midnight by Cameron DokeySnow by Tracy LynnViolet Eyes by Debbie ViguiéMidnight Pearls by Debbie Viguié
Once Upon a Time Series
7th out of 24 books — 239 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara
Dec 02, 2013 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cara by: Ginny
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
What a surprise! You know most of these books are fairly predictable, which I don't mind, but this one wasn't. Don't get me wrong it's not like a thriller with major twists at every page, but I honestly didn't have everything figured out from the beginning. A totally refreshing change.

Aurore is of course the girl with that golden hair and startling eyes, but she is different apart from that. Though her curse at first is a hindrance, in some weird way it turns into an advantage. She explores as m...more
Valerie
I was completely at a loss on how I was going to rate this book. It’s not that I didn't like the story or the writing. It just wasn't what I expected, mostly just the ending though. I'm sure others would think that the ending was obvious but I was actually surprised.

The princess Aurora is the type of princess everyone loves. She does everything from archery to sheering sheep to embroidery. She may not be good at everything but she tries it all. She is terrible with the royalty stuff such as dan...more
Tina
I don't think I can even start to describe this book...it's...very "unique". I read the book all in one read and had nightmares that night. It was crazy. Not because this book was scary, but the plot and the suspense makes you think so hard about it, you could not take your mind off it. It's really incredible. I was quite disappointed though that what I thought the "disney" version was suppose to be correct..wasn't in fact...in this book. There were no fairies, witches, flying broomsticks..it wa...more
Sonja
Nov 21, 2008 Sonja rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes fairy tales
Recommended to Sonja by: a customer
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Janell
Great fun! I was truly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book -- especially since I was not fond of Snow, another book in the Once Upon a Time books. The changes to the story and the characters were clever and seemed very true to the spirit of the wonderful story of Sleeping Beauty. The book is told in first person, which is not my favorite style of writing, but I still found it difficult to put this one down until I was finished.

(I enjoyed this one so much that I realized I hadn't liked Sno...more
Bethany
This has become my favorite book. It was SO amazingly good! At first it went along like your typical Sleeping beauty, but what made it a novel after my heart was the fact that the princess, Aurore, takes things into her own hands, and leaves everything that she loves behind in order to save her whole kingdom. But by doing so, she manages to find true love.
Towards the end, my hands were shaking because I was so afraid, I had gotten very into the story, and I was gasping, and my eyes were wide, a...more
Stefania
Jan 13, 2011 Stefania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fairy tales retold
Shelves: read-2011
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Arrrrghhhhhh! WHAT DID I JUST READ?!

This installment In the Once Upon a Time series centers around Aurore, a girl destined to fall into a deep sleep at the age of 16.

This story quickly dismisses any notion that this will be anything similar to the Disney version; or the Grimm brothers's version for that matter. There aren't evil witches or fairy godmothers or anything like that. The "sorceress" that casts the spell on Aurore is called Jane. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? PLAIN JANE IS SUPPOSED TO BE IN C...more
Marian
What could have been an interesting twist on such a familiar fairy tale is just not fleshed out enough to satisfy me. Themes of a deep magical world, opposites at war with one another and Prince Charming starting out not-so-charming hold a lot of promise. None is fully realized though. I'm not even sure where Sleeping Beauty and Oswald ever really fell in love.

Normally, I have no problem with a first-person narrative. This book seems the poorer for it. Perhaps because Aurore sounds no more like...more
Ela
Daniel Osborn
This was a fun an interesting retelling of the tale Sleeping Beauty. I purchased this and a few others because I am doing my own retelling that of through maleficent the so called evil fairy. This was an easy and fast paced book to read. A lot of interesting story lines and plots. The reason that I gave this book a 4 star rating and not a 5 star rating is the the fact that the author described everything in beauties story which lead up to the prick on the finger. She however only spent a few pag...more
Ria
I really should have hid the whole thing due to spoilers, but I'm choosing not to. I will still use the (view spoiler) thing though. That last spoiler was the word spoiler :D.

Okay.

To begin with, THIS IS NOT DISNEY'S SLEEPING BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, that just makes me really happy.)

As in our main character is not an airhead who sings and has animal buddies and makes the perfect guy out of clothing actually someone...more
Rosalba
I'd give this book 2 and a half stars if I could,it was little more than OK but I can't say I liked it a lot. It was a good retelling of the Sleeping Beauty, and I liked Aurore, Ironheart, Oswald, and Aurore's father (probably the best king ever, he almost brought tears to my eyes). But the whole magic-all-around-you stuff was rather confusing, there were a lot of gaps in the story (like how she met Ironheart while she was still awake when supposedly she ought to have been asleep for the years t...more
Anastasia
Mar 17, 2009 Anastasia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults, people who like modern fairy tales with unsettling endings
Recommended to Anastasia by: no one
I must first admit, I love retold fairy tales. But I will also have to admit, if you are going to rewrite a classic it better be amazing.

It's been a few years since I've read it but from I can remember: This story is a somewhat modern retelling of Sleeping Beauty as the title will reference. There's still thorns to travel through, a prince, an old king, and a villain.

What threw me off was the ending. I DISLIKED it very much. It left me with a ... gross feeling. I suppose in the olden times tha...more
Jess
What bothered me most was this one scene where the main character is caught in a hailstorm, where the hail stones are as big as fists. One of them hits her on the head, and she's fine.
Not too long ago, I experienced a horrible hailstorm, where the hailstones were as big as golf balls, and THEY caused thousands of dollars of damage for people all across the city. They broke a few of my windows, dinted cars, even killed one of my chickens. Imagine what hailstones the size of fists could do...
Becau...more
Apr 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I am a sucker for re-imaginings of fairy tales, and I had read and enjoyed her new take on Arabian Nights (The Storyteller's Daughter), but I could have done without this story. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairy tales, but this one seemed too casual and a little silly. I know the time shift -- sleeping for a hundred years -- definitely throws the story a curve, but this retelling takes it a bit far.
Aurore ends up in an enchanted forest, the journey through which seems to be an existent...more
Sara ♥
Ummm... This book was REALLY REALLY REALLY cute! At one point, I got so excited that I had to pull out my copy of Disney's Sleeping Beauty and listen to one of the song-sequences... :) ("I know you... I walked with you once upon a dream....")

I loved the voice of the narrator — her straightforward confession-like tone. I was drawn in from the "Preamble (A fancy way of saying introduction)." I thought it was VASTLY amusing. I read it aloud to my husband. He rolled his eyes, but whatever.

I do have...more
Alice
This retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" was fun and charming, with plenty of twists and turns and lots of adventure. I think my boys would even like it. Aurora is spunky and courageous, and the story teaches lessons of doing the right thing no matter what, even when it's really, really difficult. It's also a story of true love, of course, based on a real relationship, and not just looks, or "love at first sight." Thank goodness.

There is no inappropriate language and contains nothing more than a swee...more
Michaila
This book was the worst of the entire series. It was odd, made no sense, tried to do something different with the Sleeping Beauty story that didn't make any sense. (view spoiler)...more
Malea
An odd tale of Aurore and the spells that fight within her. A spell of destruction and a spell of salvation. She must fight these spells, stay true to her heart and find her true love - after sleeping for 100 years of course. This telling had twists that I found to be easy to read and were disturbing and/or extremely odd. When I finished reading I just felt unnerved and bothered. I love fairy tales, but this one was just a little too odd for me.
Maryam Dinzly
This is the fourth book ive read from Cameron Dokey's awesome Once Upon A Time series. i have to say though, this girl has talent in changing stories and making them appear even more magical than the original one. most people usually dont like authors to re-tell fairytales, afraid that they might somehow ruin it. but Dokey's way made them more magical and impressive. the first three books i read left me with a good impression, but now as good as this one. this story is, obviously, about Sleeping...more
Amy
Apr 07, 2009 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Robin McKinley fans
I read this book in just a couple of hours - it's very short. The writing style is charming, and the characters fully imagined. It was just a delightful book. I was expecting to be massively disappointed in any retelling of Sleeping Beauty after reading Spindle's End, because, I mean, c'mon. But this was just great.
Falina
I usually like retellings of fairy tales and this was no exception. I did find that Aurore is kind of self-indulgent and long-winded when she addresses the reader directly, but overall it was a fun book, and a very quick read. I was surprised by the ending, and liked it.
Melanie
Cute retelling of Sleeping Beauty, although I prefer it when the hero and heroine spend more time together. But this is different, seeing as Aurore, the princess, is actually the one to try to save her kingdom.. girl power:-)
Marcia McClure
This was the first in the "Once Upon a Time..." retelling series that I ever read! It's a great one to start with! If you're a fairy tale fan like me...you'll really love it!
Ginnie Grant
This was one of those books that had a slow confusing start, picked up around the middle and then wowed with the end. I loved The gumption and Mettle of Princess Aurore, how we wasn't your typical wilting princess. that even in her "sleep" she was fighting her way back home. I loved Ironheart as a character too and their comfortable, bickering friendship. the twist ending, of an ancient Oswald standing before an empty throne saying "I told you i'd wait, didn't I? And how it was her kiss that tra...more
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Most of the book was great - a fleshed out heroine and an interesting twist on the tale, with some beautiful scenery. What bothered me in this is the male characters - how horrid and how strange (one of them turns from bad to good in one sentence). This makes for a very confusing end which made little sense in terms of character development or timeline, and having the main character acknowledge 'oh wow this magic is so odd but let's just go with it' doesn't help come to terms with it, I'm sorry....more
Emily
There have been so many retellings of this classic fairytale its crazy. From the Disney version to the lesser known books that use this story as their base. This one however has to be the best one I have ever read the ending was just such a surprise to me I had to stop and go through what had happened just to wrap my mind around it. Beauty sleep had the same idea going, but it was an entire plot twist by the end of the book. As I was reading the story I was entirely confused. As I neared the las...more
Mari
Claire
I read some of the reviews on this book from this website. Almost all of them were of a 2 star rating. I'm still not certain what to think of this book. It is true that I only know the Disney version of Sleeping beauty. Because of this fact, I had some trouble following this book. It was so incredibly different that it felt like a different story.
A lot of people said the ending was none climatic, which I think is true but I didn't mind it. Also, some said that the main characters, Aurore was an...more
Translation to Spanish 1 2 Jul 07, 2014 03:59PM
what did you think 7 30 Jun 17, 2012 08:21PM
  • Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Spirited (Once Upon A Time Fairytales)
  • Scarlet Moon (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (Once Upon A Time)
  • Thornspell
  • Spinners
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • The Fairy's Return
  • Swan Sister: Fairy Tales Retold
  • Princess of Glass (Princess #2)
  • Cinders
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • The Thirteenth Princess
Cameron Dokey is an American author living in Seattle, Washington. She has a collection of over 50 old sci-fi and horror films. Cameron was born in the Central Valley of California. Cameron grew up reading classical literature and mythology, perhaps due to her father, Richard, being a teacher of Philosophy, Creative Writing, and Western Literature.

Cameron has one husband and three cats, and is th...more
More about Cameron Dokey...
The Storyteller's Daughter (Once Upon a Time Fairytales) Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales) Golden (Once Upon A Time Faitytales) Belle: A Retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales) The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Ballad of Mulan" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)

“Oswald: "All your life"
Aurore: "What?"
Oswald: "All your life, isn't that what you wanted to know? How long I loved you?"
Aurore: "Well, yes, I suppose I did, but that wasn't what I was going to ask just now."
Oswald: "I tell you I've loved you since the day you were born, and you tell me you want to know something else. There's no one quite like you, is there, Aurore?”
29 likes