Start by marking “Dodger and Me” as Want to Read:
Dodger and Me

Dodger and Me (Dodger and Me #1)

What would you do if your best friend was:
1. Imaginary?
2. An oversize blue chimp in surfer shorts? (Potentially embarrassing, but hey, no one else can see him . . . right?)
3. Proposing a plan to help you improve your life?
4. Did we say imaginary?
5. Driving you crazy?!?!
Now you have an idea of what Willie Ryan’s life is like when he meets Dodger. It’s the beginning of a lo
Published April 29th 2008 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Dodger and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dodger and Me

Aug 07, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Willy knows he's pathetic, but does he really need an imaginary friend who's a blue chimp following him around getting him into all sorts of trouble?

Being a huge fan of Jordan Sonnenblick I've made it my goal to read every book he publishes, so when I found out that there was a book of his that I had not read yet, I immediately put it on hold at the library. Dodger and Me was a delightful book that had me smiling throughout the whole story. I love Jordan's sense of humor, he never ceases to amaz
Jun 15, 2008 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: middlegrade, funny
First middle grade novel from YA author Sonnenblick. Social nobody and mediocre baseball player Willy has his life turned upside down when an invisible blue chimp named Dodger turns up. Funny and good for the intended audience.
Jul 02, 2008 Betty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gr 4+ boys (and girls)
LOL is the only way to describe this book. Willie Ryan's life is turned upside down after he accidently kicks an old teapot in the woods and a large,blue chimp appears who claims he can help Willie succeed in baseball and in making fun. For a while, though, it looks like all Dodger can do is get Willie in more trouble than he thought was possible.
I can see upper-elementary kids getting a kick out of this, but it just didn't do it for me. It's kinda funny in spots, but overall it's trying too hard to be hilarious. Fourth- or fifth-graders will probably enjoy it, though.

I'm mildly annoyed that I pulled something off my physical to-read shelf and it turns out to be something I never added to the GoodReads shelf, so I don't even get to delete it off that huge list. Sigh.
Aug 06, 2008 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
A take off on the genie in a bottle theme.... Dodger, a blue chimp, is not quite what he seems. He appears to Willie in the middle of the woods after Willie picks up a discarded fast food bag and dusts it off. He can't quite offer Willie the three wishes that he had hoped for, but he does offer friendship.
Aug 06, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
It's got baseball, it's got magic, it's got an enormous blue chlmp - Dodger and Me by Jordan Sonnenblick has it all! Willie Ryan struck out and lost the game for his team, his nickname is Wimpy, he's being followed by a kooky girl named Lizzie - the kid needs a break. Willie's break comes when he finds a strange teapot in the woods. He rubs it, and presto! Out comes a magical blue chimpanzee! Hard to believe? Definitely. The start of an outrageously funny story? You bet!
Sep 02, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Sonnenblick, Jordan. 2008. Dodger and Me.

Dodger and Me is a gem of a book and the beginning of a new series by Jordan Sonnenblick. The book stars Willie Ryan and his mostly-always best friend, Dodger. Here's how the flap reads, "What would you do if your best friend was: 1) imaginary, 2) an oversize blue chimp in surfer shorts (Potentially embarrassiiing, but, hey, no one else can see him, right?, 3) Proposing a plan to help you improve your life, 4) Did we say imaginary?, 5) Driving you crazy?!
Dec 23, 2008 Pam rated it liked it
Willie isn't the most popular kid in school. As a matter of fact he isn't popular at all. One reason could be that he is a horrible baseball player. For it was Willie's fault that his team did not win the second to last game. The game that would have guaranteed his team the championship. But never fear Dodger is here. Dodger is a blue chimpanzee that only Willie can see. He is a friend that helps Willie play better baseball. And a friend that helps Willie learn some very valuable leasons. This i ...more
Jan 07, 2009 Pandora rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Pretty good book. Light hearted fun story. Willy has three major problems in life. His mother is too overprotective of him and making him into a wimp, an English girl who won't leave him alone, and though he is on a baseball team he is a really bad player. Then he finds a magical blue chimp, named Dodger, who says he will help Willy solve all his problems. That is if Willy can survive the help.

The beginning and the middle of the book are quite good. Though some of Dodger efforts produce questio
Jan 11, 2009 Donald rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Basic plot: loser kid (Willie) sucks at baseball, has an overprotective mother, tries to avoid an annoying girl (Lizzie), and is lonely after his best friend moves away. Enter a possibly imaginary blue chimp named Dodger wearing surfer shorts and an eye patch, who may or may not be a genie, and who may or may not help him overcome his problems. Along the way, and under Dodger's watch, things get way worse for Willie before they can get better.

Will Willie improve his baseball s
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for

DODGER AND ME is the first book in a new series by Jordan Sonnenblick .

In this book we meet Willie Ryan, self-proclaimed wimp. The fact that Willie is definitely a wimp is immediately evident when he becomes the reason his baseball team loses the first game in the championship series. One might think it is bad enough that Willie can neither catch nor hit a ball, but Willie has more wrong with his life.

To start, his mother is so overprotective th
Gosh, what would you do with three wishes? For Willie, when all his 5th grade classmates call him Wimpy, it should be pretty simple, right? Be popular, a sports-superstar, and have non-hovering parents. But when Dodger appears out of a crumpled up McDonald's bag, this 'Deputy-On-Call-Dispatch-Emergency-Reserve (Third Class)' appears impersonating a real life genie. Oh sure, he tries to grant Willie's three wishes, but they go horribly wrong. When the real genie shows up, Willie is dumb-struck wi ...more
Feb 19, 2010 Jamie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jamie by: teacher
This book was a really cute story about Willie and his imaginary friend, Dodger, who also happens to be an imaginary blue chimp. Willie is a 10 year old boy that does not have any friends and is not very good at baseball. Willie has one person, Lizzie, who follows him around constantly and wants to be his friend. However, Willie can't stand Lizzie and wants her to leave him alone. Willie also has a very over protective mother, which does not help with him making friends. One day, Willie meets Do ...more
Apr 23, 2010 Lfrashur rated it liked it
Cute older elementary school, lower end middle school book. 5th grade Willie loves baseball, but has no friends until Dodger comes along and changes his life and perspective. Good story about friendship and sports
May 19, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
This was a cute story about a boy and his invisible best friend who happens to be a giant blue guerrilla that can help him play baseball. Sometimes the people we need can show up in the most peculiar way.
Kristin R
Jun 12, 2010 Kristin R rated it liked it
Shelves: juv, fiction, baseball, audio
Did you ever want a genie to get three wishes? Well, be careful what you ask for. Willy, didn't even want a genie, but he got one anyway: in the form of a blue, sloppy chimpanzee names Dodger that only he can see. He tries to help Willy with his problems. One problem is having no friends since his best friend moved; but it doesn't always go the way Willy thinks it will.
Lisa Nagel
Jul 24, 2010 Lisa Nagel rated it really liked it
Grades 4-6
Willie gets a very different kind of imaginary friend, a talking blue chimpanzee, who appears out of a fast food bag turned teapot. He seems to have the power to grant Willie wishes, and when that happens, well...things start to get interesting for Willie. A simple but fun story about friendship and with a be careful what you wish for message.
Rachel Bergin
Aug 13, 2010 Rachel Bergin rated it liked it
Shelves: lyrc
Okay, so I had to read this book for work (children's librarian). It starts out entertaining and engaging and well written. I immediately liked the concept of the pseudo-genie, ridiculous, and trouble-making blue chimp. The only thing that really bugged me about this book was how much of a WEENY the main character was! No wonder he didn't have any friends! But with over-protective parents such as his, who wouldn't be!

This book really made me think about my own up-bringing, which makes me think
Patricia See
Sep 20, 2011 Patricia See rated it it was ok
I really like the premise of the imaginary blue chimp, the genie, and the 3 wishes. I can also appreciate the over-protective mom, but I found this book difficult to get into. I think 3rd grade boys will really like this, but I am not so sure of the rest of my 3-5 readers. I think the author was heavy handed in writing the details and therefore the story can be boring at times. I am a very fast reader, but this took me 3 days 'cause I kept putting it down to read something else.

Mr. Steve
Dec 02, 2010 Mr. Steve rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Jordan Sonnenblick. I think he is great. This story, to me, was just okay. It was a quick read and entertaining, and definitely has an audience. I think perhaps it may appeal to kids who have a hard time fitting in. Definitely, the cover would bring in some readers. Good book to booktalk.

Not sure what, but the story was missing something for me.
Jan 14, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
After causing his baseball team to lose a game, being embarrassed by his friend Lizzie, and losing his way while taking a shortcut after school Willie didn't think his life could get any worse. All that changes when he picks up some garbage and a fast-talking blue chimp named Dodger appears ready to be his best friend. Hilarity and chaos ensue as Dodger tries to help Willie fix his problems.

The audio book was narrated by William Dufris who also did The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg, an
Feb 19, 2011 Q_Ayana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy_sci-fi
Willie Ryan is a fifth grader with a few problems – he has a stalker named Lizzie, his mom is super-overprotective, and he has no baseball skills. While wallowing in his sorrow of losing a game for his team, “Wimpy,” as his teammates refer to him, wanders off into the woods and finds a blue chimpanzee. This chimp becomes his personal genie, granting him three wishes (or a “Three-Part Plan”), and ultimately becomes a genuine friend to him, but not without some mishaps along the way. The language ...more
Lisa W.
Sep 08, 2011 Lisa W. rated it it was ok
Shelves: tween, upper-elem, fantasy
Nov 10, 2011 Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Ages 7-10

I did it! I finally finished a book while working at my new job. That's not to say that I haven't been reading (I have) I just haven't been FINISHING.

This was just the cute, fluffy, one-hour read I was looking for. A dweeby, baseball inept, friendless kid (Willie) meets a blue chimp genie whose lamp looks like fast food trash. Dodger gets his new "master" into all sorts of trouble while building up Willie's self-esteem.

Fast, snappy, and good for the reluctant reader or busy librarian
Aaron Kielpinski
Mar 16, 2012 Aaron Kielpinski rated it really liked it
Dodger and Me was an exceptional book with an unrealistic plot!?!? The main character is a boy named Willie Ryan. He finds a blue Chimpanzee in a McDonald’s bag disguised as garbage in the woods so that he would pick it up. Out of the bag, came a blue genie like Chimpanzee named Dodger. He appears to know Willie and the trouble he is having in his life. However, Dodger’s help makes everything worse for Willie at first. Dodger comes up with a three part plan to help Willie with his problems. Wil ...more
Apr 15, 2012 B rated it liked it
Shelves: j-boy, j-humorous
Overall not a memorable book although humor is okay and boys that like the Wimpy Kid would probably like this, the first in a series about a boy and his blue chimp genie that, uncharacteristically, is not helpful to 5th grade Will.
Feb 28, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, childrens
The story was quite entertaining and for the age bracket it is geared to, it is sure to keep their attention so I have to give it 5 stars. The story itself is humorous, adventurous and sad but it is the life of Willie Ryan and we, the reader can only image what we would do in the same situation. Willie is the son of an overprotective mother who plays baseball (overprotective mom + baseball = doesn’t make a good combination). If that wasn’t enough, this 5th grader’s best friend just moved away an ...more
Jun 16, 2013 Vaishnavi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun
Dodger and Me is an amazing book.It has some adventure,humor,and sadness.Dodger is an imaginary blue chimp who TRYS to help willie's life.At the end willie and Dodger.........Read the book to find out what happens next
Marley Groat
Sep 29, 2014 Marley Groat rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015 Garrett rated it it was ok
Dodger and Me is a good book.This book is funny because dodger is an imaginary blue chimp that always got Willie in trouble. Willie is a loser that is really bad a baseball. If you like weird and funny books then this is the book you would want.Willies mom was mad at Willie because dodger is dirty and he went in the house and his mom doesn't believe Willie that he has a friend that isn't a chimp. And he has this one girl that is his friends and she believes that his friend is a blue chimp.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Top of the Order
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • The Get Rich Quick Club
I am the author of seven books for children and young adults, including Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie. So if youʼre looking for info about some other guy named Jordan Sonnenblick, youʼve got the wrong website.
Anyway, I know a lot of people are looking for stuff they can use in reports for school, so Iʼll just get this out of the way right up front:
My favorite color is blue.
I have a wife and two
More about Jordan Sonnenblick...

Dodger and Me (3 books)