Start by marking “Who Killed Healthcare?: America's $2 Trillion Medical Problem - And the Consumer-Driven Cure” as Want to Read:

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In the battle for U.S. health care, patients and doctors are losing.

Who Killed Health Care? shows how to win the war.

One of the nation's most respected health care analysts, Regina Herzlinger exposes the motives and methods of those who have crippled America's health care system-figures in the insurance, hospital, employment, governmental, and academic sectors. She proves
Published May 8th 2007 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published April 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who Killed Healthcare?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Killed Healthcare?

Zach Wood
Argum
There is so much wrong with the argument of this book it is hard to decide where to start. First, the author is pandering and pedantic throughout. I found it difficult to take her seriously when referring to President Nixon as the Prince of Darkness several times. Beyond that, she uses the word us as if to include herself in the populace and not one of the academics, except that she is. One of her central villains are academics, but she conveniently paints herself as not one as if maybe saying s ...more
Michael Weaver
Herzlinger does a good job outlining the steps that need to be taken to fix the current broken healthcare system by suggesting we more or less following the Swiss model. This consumer driven model would enable innovators who have feasible ideas about how to get more value for the money to enter the market and allow providers compete for your business. My only issue was the redundancy which seemed to make the flow to be a little choppy. Overall it was a fairly good book.
John
If you want to learn what's wrong with health care and who's killing it, read this book. I don't agree with all of her recommendations (just most of them).

I also heard Regina talk when she was in Utah. My key concern is that even though she opposes government mandates, she thinks some are necessary in health care. Big disconnect.
Kishan
Very good way of looking at the problems involved in health reform: health care has so many major stakeholders which all say they are dedicated to patients - and YET, patients are underserved -- not by any of them solely, but by ALL of them COLLECTIVELY. Reform has to be collective-comprehensive AND driven by patients-as-consumers.
Arnie
Provides a somewhat objective analysis of issues facing our health care system. examined the shortcomings of all stakeholders including providers, insurers, insureds and regulatory agencies. Not a fan of 'consumerism' in healthcare. Afterall, the crux of free market theory relies on rational choice.
Lily
How government intervention made health care more expensive and unavailable to the average consumer. OUTLINES A CONSUMER DRIVEN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM THAT DELIVERS QUALITY AFFORADABLE CARE FOR EVERYONE. A MUST READ.
Clark Bosslet
Dr. Herzlinger brings a bias to the conversation, but who doesn't? She does a great job of explaining the problem in an easily digestible format and humanizing the problem so it immediately feels like one we all share.
Kld33
Very informative book about Health care and the problems that our system faces today! The solution this harvard business school professor comes up with: consumer driven health care! (NOT UNIVERSAL!!)
Kristie
Meh.
Annoying tone of voice.
Topics were too dumbed-down.
No exceptionally novel ideas on how to solve issues.
Carrie
Deficient. Adolescent. Too many times I felt like the author was pleading with me: "Stay with me here!"
Stephanie
Although the concepts that she aims to get across are decent, both her tone and delivery needs some work.
Tarin Allen
Just started it...it's good so far but I'm skeptical about the answers she proposes...I'll let you know.
Carl
Its message is above criticism. Its writing however is laborious.
Jeffrey
Read half of it. So uninteresting I couldn't even finish.
Jonathan
Too vitriolic and polemical. I stopped after 30 pages.
Joshua
Apr 09, 2009 Joshua rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Health Care Professionals
Still working on it...
Cesar
Cesar marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Katie Allen
Katie Allen marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jessica Bernard
Jessica Bernard marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Vicky Dornbush
Vicky Dornbush marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Mario Mason
Mario Mason marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Founders' Key: The Divine and Natural Connection Between the Declaration and the Constitution and What We Risk by Losing It
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
  • Storm World: Hurricanes, Politics, and the Battle Over Global Warming
  • All You Can Eat: How Hungry is America?
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America
  • Marked for Death: Islam's War Against the West and Me
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • Shock of Gray: The Aging of the World's Population and How it Pits Young Against Old, Child Against Parent, Worker Against Boss, Company Against Rival, and Nation Against Nation
  • Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
  • One Nation Under Therapy: How the Helping Culture Is Eroding Self-Reliance
  • Intellectuals and Race
  • Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water
  • The Coming Generational Storm: What You Need to Know about America's Economic Future
Who Killed HealthCare? : America's $2 Trillion Medical Problem - and the Consumer-Driven Cure Readings In Renewing American Civilization