Start by marking “Feuer und Stein ” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Feuer und Stein

Diana Gabaldon

Feuer und Stein (Outlander #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  356,298 ratings  ·  24,829 reviews
Was waren das für Zeiten, in denen Männer noch ganze Kerle waren und in rauen Kämpfen ihre Stärke unter Beweis stellten! Sie eroberten heldenhaft Frauen, indem sie sie jagten und als Trophäe triumphierend in ihre Höhle schleppten. Das altbekannte Katz-und-Maus-Spiel ist in Feuer und Stein in eine historische Kulisse eingebettet. Die packend-sinnliche Highland-Saga von Dian ...more
Audio CD, 6 CDs
Published 2003 by Random House Audio (first published 1991)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Outlander (Outlander #1)
    Enter to win a signed copy of Outlander, the Season One Volume One DVD and a Jamie poster! Outlander returns April 4 at 9pm on Starz!
    Giveaway dates: Mar 23 - Apr 18, 2015
    10 copies available, 1864 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

Holly
    A special note to those who say my review stopped them from reading this book: No no no! Read it! I actually reread the whole series last summer and enjoyed it immensely. Just read it for what it is: ludicrous, well-written, humorous, delicious TRASH. Just don't expect it to be the most brilliant novel ever written and you'll be fine.

How To Commit Adultery Without Being a Cheap Slutty Whore: A Q&A by Diana Gabaldon

Q: I love my husband but I'm feeling kind of restless. But adultery is wrong.
    Kelly
    Jan 13, 2014 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: all women, historical fiction lovers
    Yes! I read this. I admit it! You caught me! Not only that... I loved it. It is a double sin I will likely have to one day repent for by reading piles of Dostoyevsky while I tear out my hair. In any case. Right, once again into the breach to defend myself!

This book is incredibly long. It's just a fact. All of them are. But they go by so incredibly fast. By the time I got to the third one? I read it in three days. The pages just keep turning. I read at double speed I was so engrossed in the story
    RandomAnthony
    (Ok, first off, there are going to be minor spoilers/hints in this review…read at your own risk, although I’ll try not to reveal too much.)

Outlander is a damn good book. Sure, the book has a blue fake leather cover, costs four bucks, and screams “spinning rack at the airport bookstore”. I approached the text with suspicion but found myself invested in the language and storyline within the first hundred pages. Here’s why:

TEN GOOD THINGS ABOUT OUTLANDER

1. The characterizations of Jamie and Claire,
    Duchess Nicole

Quick question: if this book has a quarter of a million ratings and still maintains an average rating of 4.13, why the hell are the most popular reviews the snarky, mean spirited, one or two star reviews? That doesn't match up at all with what I'd assume would be the case, which is that most people who read this book LOVED IT. Including me.
    Please, people. If you enjoy a book, click "like" on the good reviews as well. That's what people see first when they look for reviews on Goodreads...the one
    HeatherJay
    I remember my friend in college ( 1992ish ) coming out of her room holding a book to her chest and saying " YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK". She said it was a time-travel, romance book set in post world war II Scotland and mid 18th century Scotland.
    Being as I was a 24 year old stoner and a 5th year college student, Lord of the Rings was more up my alley and I told her I'd "put it on my list"!! Fast forward to 2009, I'm on my usual Saturday morning sojourn to Barnes and Noble and I come across "Outl
    Navessa
    WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. THE. FUCK. WHAT. T ...more
    Lisa
    Contains SPOILERS ---
    I was lying in a hospital bed with my leg broken, and once the library trolley came for a round of 'books, anyone?', my hand was in the air in no time.
    Too late did the librarian notice the foreign literature on my bedside table and with a distraught expression try to recover 'Outlander';I said firmly: 'Oh no, Madam, I'll read that.'. Just enough time left for her to make up with a tome of controversial French literature on the genocide in Ruanda...
    But as I'd said: my first
    Julianna
    Sep 15, 2008 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Fans of Scottish History, Romance or Time Travel
    Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I've read that Outlander was originally marketed as a romance novel because the publisher didn't know what else to do with it, but this book is no ordinary romance novel. It doesn't follow any typical romance formula and is a real genre bender that doesn't fit neatly into any one category. Outlander has a swoon-worthy hero and dozens of truly romantic scenes that should be sufficient to satisfy even the most discriminating romance reader, while it's time travel asp
    Sasha Alsberg
    This book is my love, you all know this. It deserves an infinite amount of stars, too bad Goodreads only allows 5!
    Check out my review on YouTube here:
    Leslie
    This series changed my life. I cannot even begin to go into the details of how much I fell in love with the main characters: Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser. The love story between these two beautifully written characters actually transcends time and logic. Their devotion, respect and soul-reaching love was one of beauty and even awe inspiring. Theirs is a long and beautiful historic journey together reaching limits and boundaries of both heartwarming depth and gut-wrenching tragedy. Not to be ...more
    Aestas Book Blog
    Here are a bunch of pics from the TV show being filmed right now :D

Chelsea
    Man, after the pitch I've heard about this book from basically every (female) reader I've ever met, I was expecting something that was NOT THIS. Fairly offensive, needlessly graphic, and smutty in that skeevy way, rather than the hot way. At one point, Jamie punishes Claire for disobeying him by literally spanking her - which was treated as perfectly understandable, and was quickly dismissed. I know that I cringed throughout the entire thing, and found it hard to believe that any relatively mode ...more
    Emily May
    I wanted to write a better review for this book to coincide with the release of the new TV series, where Jamie actually does look pretty hot...

Back when I read this as a wee lass (okay, like, three years ago), there weren't quite as many interesting interpretations of the novel going on. I remember reading a bunch of reviews that either sold it as sophisticated, well-researched historical fiction, or a trashy kilt-wearing romance full of sex, violence and violent sex. In my opinion, neither is t
    Latharia
    I read the first 300 or so pages of the book. The first 200 had me hooked...and then the sex scenes started. I've got nothing against a sex scene or two ... but the main characters were having sex all the freaking time. And when it escalated to include violence, including a scene that I can only describe as rape (she says no, he forces her to have sex anyway), I closed the book & decided not to read anymore. I enjoy historical fiction ... just not this type of it, I suppose.
    Kat Kennedy
    Outlander is not a book for everyone. I'll put that right out there. If you think you can stomach extreme sexual violence as well as themes of sadism then go ahead. If you can understand good characters doing things in their historical context that would be seen as abuse now, then give it a try.

You won't be disappointed.

Gabaldon has finely crafted a novel that is radically different to the stereotype. This is no average love story. Her research is extensive and flawless; bringing to life a world
     Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
    Okay, there are tons of reviews on this book, and I can't add too much to the review ether that hasn't already been said. But, I promised to write a review for every book I read, so I'll do this in an different kind of way. How about a Q&A session about this book?

Question and Answer Session With Danielle Regarding Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

1. So, you finally read it. How does it feel to read this 850 page magnum opus?

I feel a profound sense of accomplishment. I'm glad that I 'womaned-up' an
    Deborah Markus
    I gave up on this book because I was sustaining permanent damage from reading it and I was afraid I'd start hitting back. And it's a borrowed copy, so that wouldn't be cool.

In fairness, I should say there's a lot of good writing here. I really enjoyed the beginning chapters. They even kind of cracked me up, because I have friends who love genealogy and their husbands always get that look when they start talking about it and that's exactly how I imagined Claire looking when her husband Frank star
    Lynn
    People kept telling me how good the Outlander series was, and I kept putting off reading them because they're time travel romances. Time travel romances are always completely cheesy aren't they?

Well, I finally broke down and read "Outlander," and quickly discovered it's one of the most original novels out there. I was happy to see that Barnes & Noble recently moved them out of the "romance" section because they are way more involved than your typical girl-meets-boy.

Claire, the World War II
    Etnik
    description

4.5 GREAT AWESOME COOL FANTASTIC BRILLIANTSTARS!

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I am going to part this review in two sections(parts) because I don't want to give spoilers away but also want to share some of the scenes I really enjoyed with people who have also read the book so we can discuss together.So the first part of the review will be SPOILER FREE and everyone can read it,and the second part will be filled with spoilers so if you haven't read the book don

Mo

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

First off, I am not big on “Time-travel” books but this has been on my kindle forever and with the new TV series coming out in a month
    Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
    Update- 4/29/12- I'm having serious Outlander withdrawals, whenever this happens, I find myself searching for novels like this (not just time-travel, or historical romance, or rich with details, but the excellent writing as well) and always come up short. There is nothing out there like this and it is sad.

Re-read finished 1-16-12 (still the best damn book out there)

You can read my review as a guest reviewer here...

or below...

The Outlander series audioboo
    Katinki
    This is actually a very difficult book for me to rate. Certain aspects of it were very good. Others, I didn't care for at all. I suppose I can say that as a whole I liked it "okay". Somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but I'm going to round down due to the seriousness of my dislikes.

What worked for me:
    - Attention to detail (more on that below, however). It was very easy for me to visualize scenes and actions.
    - In general, the premise for the novel was interesting. And some parts of it were very e
    Mimi Smith
    5++++++ stars

Anyone who's known me longer than 5 minutes knows this is my favorite book. I've always said I'll never write a review about it. I gave in, but I won't be able to write anything dispassionate about it, nor write about it reasonably, so I'll just say what I love about it...

I love Jamie, Claire, Inverness, Castle Leoch, Jamie, Dougal and Colum, the wedding, Jamie, the humour, the childhood stories, Jamie, Lallybroch, Jenny, Jamie, Ian, the kids, JAMIE!, the desriptions, the ending...A
    Alysha
    Oct 03, 2008 Alysha rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: reader's of Harlequinn Romances
    Too bad here isn't a rating stronger than "didn't like" because I hated this book. In fact, I read the entire thing just so that someone couldn't talk me out of hating it by saying "Oh, it gets better at the end" or "you really needed to read the whole thing to appreciate it".

This book isn't about Scotland or time travel, it's about Jamie and Claire having sex in different locations and positions. Throw in a little wife beating, rape and repeated torture and you've got yourself a toned-down Mar
    Felicia
    Ok, so historical romance isn't really my thing. I read this book because I got tipsy after a concert and went to the bookstore and bought a ton of "Highland-hunk" romance novels on whim and Twittered about it, so I had to read them all. Ugh. So, I read 4 other books that were hideously bad, and then this one was highly recommended to me by many on Twitter/Facebook as the cream of the crop. I was dubious.

I have to say, this is a LOVELY book. I'm not CRAZY motivated to read the rest of the series
    Zoë (readbyzoe)
    Um YES. This is what I like.
    It took a while to get into and read as I was having to do school work and holiday festivities at the same time, but it was definitely worth it!
    If you like historical fiction, time travel, and/or romance, PICK THIS UP. You also get the beautiful and perfect specimen of Jamie.
    Amy (Foxy)
    LET THE KILT DROP

description

Last week when I realized OUTLANDER was ending mid-season I decided to read the book. I knew I would want to know what was coming next. Having purchased the book earlier this year made that possible. When I mentioned to my mom about starting the book she offered her kindle so that I could listen to the audio version. I basically spent the next 4 days wearing headphones. The moment Jamie appeared in the book the headphones were never taken off except to sleep and shower.

I'm prett
    Werner
    Apr 30, 2008 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Fans of time travel, historical fiction, or of romance with some substance
    The description of the book above is inaccurate and misleading, in two respects: Claire's time travel isn't caused by touching a natural "boulder," but rather a magic-endued standing stone; and more importantly, Jamie isn't her illicit "lover," but her lawfully-wed husband. True, the fact that she has another husband in the 20th century raises the question of bigamy, and poses interesting time travel paradoxes; but I think Gabaldon, and her characters, take the position that Claire's future marr ...more
    Laz
    “Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.”

Well, having read this only just yesterday and not being able to keep myself from mentioning some details about the book, I'll just say that there may be some spoilers in my review. Not big spoilers, never big spoilers. Just tiny ones about making you familiarized with the book's plot. Read this on your own volition.

When Claire Randall & her husband go to a second honeymoon a
    • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
    • Tatiana and Alexander (The Bronze Horseman, #2)
    • Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1)
    • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
    • The Rose Garden
    • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
    • The Pride of Lions (Highlands, #1)
    • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
    • Flowers from the Storm
    • The Tea Rose (The Tea Rose, #1)
    • The Reckoning  (Welsh Princes, #3)
    • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
    • The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation, #6)
    • Come Alive (Experiment in Terror, #7)
    • The Devil Wears Plaid
    • A Knight in Shining Armor
    • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
    Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
    More about Diana Gabaldon...

Outlander (9 books)
    • Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2)
    • Voyager (Outlander, #3)
    • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
    • The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5)
    • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
    • An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
    • Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8)
    • Untitled (Outlander, #9)
    Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

75 trivia questions
    4 quizzes
    More quizzes & trivia...
    “Don't be afraid. There's the two of us now.” 1654 likes
    “I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.” 732 likes