Start by marking “What I Wish I'd Known Before My Mission” as Want to Read:
What I Wish I'd Known Before My Mission

What I Wish I'd Known Before My Mission

In a fresh, helpful, and sometimes humorous way, John Bytheway offers guidelines on how to make the missionary experience worthwhile. Part One discusses what life should be like between high school graduation and the mission. Part Two covers life inside the MTC and suggests eliminating distractions. He also explains the importance of keeping the mission rules. Part Three ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about What I Wish I'd Known Before My Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Wish I'd Known Before My Mission

Jared
Mar 06, 2010 Jared rated it it was amazing
As a prospective LDS missionary, this book has been very helpful for me in my preparation for a mission. I've always loved to listen to John Bytheway because he has such a fun personality. He take serious topics, sometimes SCARY topics, and turns them into fun and interesting discussions. I think my favorite section of the book is when he talks about following the mission rules. The topic in itself sounds boring. But he reminds you that obedience equals freedom, and that being perfectly obedient ...more
May 19, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, church
I really like this book; it inspires me. I really-really liked it as a teenager and I learned a lot, so I figured it was worth reading again. A couple things I take from this book are:
- Learn to work with people. Bring up problems tactfully.
- Learn to be humble "everyone is my superior in at least one way"
- Consider your own testimony and if you believe what you say
- Pray hard and your prayers can be answered
Aja
Oct 06, 2008 Aja rated it it was amazing
John Bytheway is always a hoot to read... or listen to for that matter. This book shared many of the spiritual insights that may come after serving a mission, and as I wanted to serve a mission this book was a thrill for me share in Bytheway's own experiences. I would read it again for the laughs and lessons.
Ashley
Jan 11, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-i-own
John Bytheway's style has always been humorous and entertaining. With so short a book and the style, I finished this book within an hour. The book talks about ways to make a mission more successful and what to expect. This book was actually a freebie from my family dentist (makes it even more awesome because I didn't have to pay for it), and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to read it.
Lisa
Sep 06, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: nonfiction
The young men leaders at church asked my son to read this book and I thought I would too. This is an easy to read, interesting book that will help prepare young men to go on a mission. Actually it would be a good book for anyone to read.
I particularly liked the appendix that explained the history of the Lord's Church and how it was changed.
Kimberlee
Jul 18, 2013 Kimberlee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-books
As I read this book, I wanted to be better, to try harder, and it made me even more excited to serve a mission soon!! This book is not only for soon to be missionaries, it's for anyone and everyone!! It's so worth your time!!!
Stacee
Feb 26, 2016 Stacee rated it it was amazing
I think my other boys should read this more than 1 day before entering the MTC! We love John Bytheway cd's from his talks, and were worried if this would be too boring because it's a book on tape. But since it was read by the author, it's just as entertaining!
Michael Lemmon
Jul 23, 2008 Michael Lemmon rated it it was amazing
This book too, id great for any young man or young woman who are plannign to go on a mission. John Bytheway is funny and this book is easy to get through. It helped me personally have more desire to go on my mission
Ryceejo
Jul 07, 2015 Ryceejo rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
As a preparing missionary, this book was helpful in channeling my focus correctly. I feel more confident about what I need to do to prepare and I have a more clear perspective about what to expect from my mission.
Kerri
Jun 22, 2012 Kerri rated it liked it
Interesting and full of good points. Good for a re-read even! Definitely helpful on preparing to serve as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Sonia
Aug 24, 2016 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Our family listened to the audiobook on a road trip. Not only was it entertaining, but it really helped my son get more prepared for his mission. He listened to it twice :)
Kathryn
Aug 28, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
This was written in 1996 so some things are outdated but the main principles are the same and as always John bytheway is so inspiring!
May 11, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Great, practical advice for future missionaries. I highly recommend it! It has a dash of humor that makes the book even more fun to read.
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
PureMedia Ebook Reader
PureMedia Ebook Reader rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2009
Thom
Thom rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2008
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2008
Corinna
Corinna rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2009
Kevin
May 27, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing
So great! It really makes me want to do my best and prepare for a mission.
Krivulya Svetlana
Krivulya Svetlana rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2011
Camille
Camille rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2008
Wes
Wes rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2008
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2009
Ijohn
Ijohn rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple
  • The Light We Share
  • Inspiring Experiences That Build Faith: From the Life and Ministry of Thomas S. Monson
  • With Full Purpose of Heart
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • Emma: A Latter-Day Tale
  • A Far Horizon (Shadows of Brierley, #2)
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes #11)
John Bytheway (born October 1962) is an American author and academic, who is well known as a comic motivational speaker for youth within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Born in Salt Lake City, Bytheway attended the University of Utah and Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah, receiving a Master's Degree in Religious Education. He also served as a missionary for the LDS ...more
More about John Bytheway...

“Legislatures and parliaments can get together and pretend to change God's laws, but it has no effect on eternal truth.” 4 likes