Start by marking “Maxwell's Mountain” as Want to Read:
Maxwell's Mountain

Maxwell's Mountain

When he spies the BIG hill—make that a mountain!—in his neighborhood park, Maxwell is determined to climb all the way to the top. He has everything a true outdoorsman needs: climbing gear, a map, a first-aid kit, water, snacks, and his trusty toy soldier, Harry, by his side. But when Maxwell loses the trail, he must rely on his smarts to get back on track.
Published July 1st 2007 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Maxwell's Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maxwell's Mountain

Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
From Maxwell's point of view the hill just beyond the playground is a mountain that is just waiting to be climbed. His parent's tell him he is too young to climb mountains, so Maxwell goes on a training regime to prove that he is ready. The things he comes up with to train and prepare are adorable and so childlike. The pictures are well done and have fun details upon closer inspection. It has a good pace when read out loud.
Amber
Apr 06, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book to read. At first when you read the title, you wonder what the book might be about. As you start to read it more and more, it's about a little boy trying to prove to his parents that he can do something and that he knows how to prepare for it. Also, it talks about perseverance. This is a good book to read to students.
Amanda Walz
Feb 03, 2017 Amanda Walz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book about tackling a challenge.
Kristin Miller
This is a really fun book for children in 2nd through 4th grade. It talks about you need to prepare yourself before you go on an adventure and take the advice you are given from the adults in your life.
I would use this in my classroom when we talk about following directions and going on adventures. It would be fun for the children to have this be a read aloud story and then give the children a map of the play ground and have them make their own journey on the map and then go outside and have th
Alice
Oct 02, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
I like the outdoors and hiking. This books is great!

The pictures are good the story is great and the lessons about hiking, planning, reading a map, being smart etc is priceless! He is just climbing the tall mountain at his local park, but the tips and planning would be perfect for a more strenuous hike.

My brothers have taken scout troops backpacking into the mountains and he only has 1 rule. Don't end up on the news. With planning being smart using a map and compass (or these days GPS) not fre
Larissa
May 14, 2015 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shari Becker - Nicole Wong - Charlesbridge - 2006 Ages 8+ Maxwell's Mountain is a very fun, intriguing, journey in which entails a journey through Max. Max decides one day that he wanted to climb to the top of the mountain, but his parents warn him and tell him that he isn't properly trained. So, in turn this leads him to go and try to train more so that he is able to accomplish his goal, climbing up the mountain. Max does in turn end up getting up to the top of the mountain at the end of the st ...more
Dolly
Apr 19, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, library, 2012
This is a fun book about a little boy who wants to climb a hill. His parents say that he's too young to do it, but he researches what he needs to do to prepare for such a momentous hike. I love he goes to the library to do his research and that his parents encourage him to follow his dream. The story is entertaining and the illustrations are colorful. I read this while visiting our girls' elementary school library and then our oldest decided to borrow the book. We read it together during her cla ...more
Margaret
Nov 04, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mc_lit
Biracial

This was a good story about perseverance. Maxwell sees a hill of rocks at a new playground and wants to climb it. His parents say that he is too little, so he sets out to prove them wrong.

The only way a reader can tell this story is biracial is from the illustrations. One parent is Asian and the other white.
Diane
Jun 24, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Leo is at a transitional age between wanting to be a big boy and do big boy things and still wanting the comfort of being a little kid. He enjoyed this book of a boy that wants to climb the hill by himself next to the park. I noticed the next time we went to the park, he and a friend did exactly that.
Janae
Mar 17, 2015 Janae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
(3.5 stars) I probably wouldn't return to this book unless it was to illustrate goal-setting to my child. For that purpose it's great. Maxwell wants to climb a really difficult "mountain" at the local park. He makes the goal, practices and trains, tries (runs into trouble and has to try a new way) and finally succeeds. My son was very interested in the plot.
Jessalyn King
Nov 20, 2015 Jessalyn King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I went back to this book on the shelf because the title intrigued me... and I'm glad I did. A great book for inspiration to just get things done. Love the parenting. Also loved the little soldier toy.
Megan
May 30, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soren said he LOVED this book. I liked that this little boy set his mind to a difficult task, used all of the resources he could, trained hard, and finally accomplished.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-kids
This book is all about perseverance and I think it helps kids with responsibility as well. Cute book. My boys especially liked it.
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Rainier
Rainier rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2012
Dondra
Dondra rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Karen F
Karen F rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
RoyGBiv
RoyGBiv rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2007
Rachel Feather
Rachel Feather rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Shelli
Shelli rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2008
Camille Rivera
Camille Rivera rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Flora
Flora rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2007
Carrie Bergantino
Carrie Bergantino rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Elisabeth Ellington
Elisabeth Ellington rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Lori Gravley
Lori Gravley rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2008
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Shari Becker was born in Montreal, Quebec, and was raised speaking both English and French. As a child, she spent her summers in the Adirondack Mountains catching fireflies, minnows, and toads. She has an MA from New York University and has worked for Nickelodeon, for Disney-owned companies, and even for an Emmy Award–winning puppeteer. She is the author of two picture books, including Maxwell’s M ...more
More about Shari Becker...