Start by marking “A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Immigrant & Ethnic Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Each ethnic group in America leaves a unique legacy. Distinct historical records, languages and immigration patterns create unique challenges for beginners researching relatives with different origins.The "Discovering your Ancestors" series provides clear, step-by-step instruction aimed at making this task easier. Each of these books starts by teaching the basics of sound...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Betterway Books (first published March 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Immigrant & Ethnic Ancestors

Kathy Duncan
In her introduction Carmack warns that her book is not intended for beginners or as a guide for genealogical research. That’s a warning that should be heeded. Although her title, A Genealogist’s Guide to Discovering Your Female Ancestors: Special Strategies for Uncovering Hard-to-Find Information About Your Female Lineage seems to imply that this a guide and could benefit beginners, it is neither.

To her credit, Carmack does address issues of how to identify female ancestors, but her methods are...more
Liz
I had a love/hate relationship with this book and see why it gets such mixed reviews. I loved the concept of incorporating social history to enrich the biographies of our female ancestors. However, in the examples Carmack gives, she frequently crosses the line between biography and fiction. Simply assuming that an ancestor's experience was the same as that of a typical woman from the same time and ethnic group is over-reaching. It is possible to incorporate social history to give context to know...more
Mallory Hall
This was a great book! It inspires the reader to do more then search out dates and places but to rather develop a understanding of who your female ancestors were as people. It encourages you to not only compile basic facts but to actually write a narrative using genealogical data and social histories. I learned a lot of history about women by reading this book and I am motivated to read more!

This isn't a basic guide, but I think beginners can get a lot out of it as well as experienced genealogis...more
Sally
OK, I'm not a great family historian. I like to read all about it, and "when I have more time," I'll get more family history done. Finding missing women has been a challenge in family history, always, because if you don't know their maiden name, it can be hard to find their families. This book gives lots of ideas for the detective in all genealogists. I have read several of Carmack's books and have appreciated her information.
Amanda
Another oldie but perfectly valid book. I'm still in the "find everyone" phrase of my research life instead of writing out historical biographies, but this is a great research tool. I'd recommend it for any genealogist's collection.
Carole
I was very disappointed in this book. I thought it would have strategies for identifying your female ancestors when obvious methods hadn't worked. Most of her case studies began with "find the marriage record". Well. duh. If I could find a marriage record, I wouldn't be reading this book. She didn't include several tricks and strategies that I already know, and I learned nothing new from this book.
Denise
An interesting book and one I'm glad I own. I will use the list at the back of the book to help me use all available records for discovering those elusive females in every line.
Paula
What a wonderful and informative book on finding female ancestors.
Megan
Quit--to turn back in
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Christina Mason
Christina Mason marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
LD
LD marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Catherine Ambrose
Catherine Ambrose marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Dorinda
Dorinda marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Jessica Minton
Jessica Minton marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Fran Jensen
Fran Jensen marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Your Guide to Cemetery Research Organizing Your Family History Search: Efficient & Effective Ways to Gather and Protect Your Genealogical Research The Genealogy Sourcebook You Can Write Your Family History The Family Tree Resource Book for Genealogists