Start by marking “Bringing Your Family History to Life Through Social History” as Want to Read:
Bringing Your Family History to Life Through Social History

Bringing Your Family History to Life Through Social History

This first-ever guide shows researchers how to weave historical details into their genealogies to form a unique family history narrative.
Published March 1st 2001 by Betterway Books (first published September 2000)

Noel
May 22, 2017 Noel rated it really liked it
One of the best books out there, Katherine Sturdevant is one of the leading authorities on Social History. Having taken a couple of classes with her, I am a bit biased.

I'd give it 5 stars, but the book is old and in this era of internet explosion, it needs to be updated and I believe there's something in the works. Hopefully the new edition will come out soon!
Teri
Feb 14, 2017 Teri rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on gathering and researching social data, memorabilia, and ephemera to expand your knowledge of your ancestors and to give the reader a more holistic view of their genealogy. I have had the pleasure of taking classes with Mrs. Sturdevant. She is a very knowledgeable person who can bring to life ones ancestors so that you understand their life and the times they lived in. Her book gives you guidelines and tips to help you bring your own family's heritage to life.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Mar 14, 2015 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended by Lisa Alzo during a webinar about crafting ancestor profiles. This book was an answer to a question from the audience.
One of the messages I took from this book is "No one can contribute your part of the family history better than you can....Your personal memories will be lost unless you record them." As you expand your scope, "You are writing history into your family and your family into history." Sturdevant has eleven points for cemetery care guidelines and how to d
Cindy
May 07, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive, detailed guide on how to train yourself to notice even ordinary things as artifacts, guidelines on oral history, historical meanings within your photos, methods and resources of folklorists and using correspondence in your researches. One interesting chapter included a Cemetery Analysis Form. This book will help you include history behind the usual details of Genealogy.
Monica
Aug 30, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: genealogists, family historians
Very informative book on looking at one's family history through the eyes of an historian. Especially like the sections on family photographs and writing letters! I wish this book wasn't out-of-print!
Kathleen Lynch
Mar 02, 2013 Kathleen Lynch rated it really liked it
I liked the premise of this book. To me, genealogy comes alive when my people are set in the social and historical context in which they lived.
J
Sep 03, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this read. The perspective of from the historical perspective brought my exploration of my family tree in a new context
Gena
May 29, 2010 Gena rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for taking your genealogy out of the boring gathering of names and dates to truly learning what life was like for your ancestor
Phil James
Phil James rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Susan T
Susan T rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2009
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2013
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Pamela Lloyd
Pamela Lloyd rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Fran Jensen
Fran Jensen rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Kate Mccarthy
Kate Mccarthy rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2008
DearMYRTLE
DearMYRTLE rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2007
R. Garrett/P. A. Pinder
R. Garrett/P. A. Pinder rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Mkmmax
Mkmmax rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
D.d. Eves
D.d. Eves rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016