Start by marking “Good Days and Mad: A Hysterical Tour Behind the Scenes at Mad Magazine” as Want to Read:
Good Days and Mad: A Hysterical Tour Behind the Scenes at Mad Magazine

Good Days and Mad: A Hysterical Tour Behind the Scenes at Mad Magazine

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  12 reviews
azine, its motley crew, and its beloved founder, the late William M. Gaines. The author offers an insider's history of the publication based on his three decades at America's favorite satirical magazine. Photos, many in color, and line drawings throughout.
Published October 1st 1995 by Thunder's Mouth Press

To ask other readers questions about Good Days and Mad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Days and Mad

Tracey
Sep 09, 2007 Tracey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fan of Alfred E. Newman
A re-read, I picked Good Days and Mad: A Hysterical Tour Behind the Scenes at Mad Magazine off the bookshelf earlier this week.

A tribute to William M. Gaines and MAD Magazine written by one of its long-time contributors, Dick DeBartolo combines memories, fact and fiction (and fourteen forewords!) in a wackily entertaining package. Organized somewhat chronologically and somewhat thematically, he discusses the development of MAD Magazine and Gaines' devotion to the staff, as well as the ideas beh
Michael Martin
Disappointing book. I would have skipped the too-cute approach of 36-point bold type and concentrated more on the relationships between the staff and William Gaines.

The book told about three stories, and told them over and over and over again.
1. Wow, was Bill Gaines out of shape! He loved food and wine.
2. Gosh, he was a wacky boss! He took us on trips all around the world.
3. The author loves powerboating and gadgets.

It's really not much of a book. The endless "forewords" are just irritating.
Skip
Dav8d777
Okay, you have to love MAD Magazine to appreciate this, but if you do, you will.
dirt
I am glad that Mad Magazine still makes the same jokes after all these years and they are still funny.

This title of this tome is misleading. There is a lot of Mad Magazine knowledge nuggets, but it also covers food, Regis and Kathy Lee, and boats.

Sadly, this book connected Mad Magazine with Regis & Kathy Lee, which is really not what I needed in my life. Why, Dick Debartolo, why did you have to bring those two worlds together? Sad.
Miund
Jul 13, 2007 Miund rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MAD magazine afficionados
I learned that it isn't easy building a magazine... even one recommended for idiots! I love you Dick DeBartolo, and I gained a truly high respect for MAD founder: Mr. Bill Gaines. They sure aren't just a bunch of idiots like they claim themselves to be. They are brilliant people. Enough said.
Rob
DeBartolo is not one of my favorite Mad writers. His humor is often too pun-ridden and forced. But I'm enjoying this book because of the personal insider's look at the Mad offices, particularly DeBartolo's relationship with Bill Gaines.
Erik Mallinson
Aug 09, 2007 Erik Mallinson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with a soul or are looking to get one
Shelves: non-fiction
Much of what I've learned about business I learned from this book (god help everyone!). It's a entertaining and hilarious look into the life of Bill Gaines - the editor of Tales From The Crypt and Mad Magazine; and one of my heroes.
Jeremiah Johnson
I haven't read MAD magazine in quite a few years, but this book got me interested in resubscribing. It was a fun look at the goings on of the MAD staff.
Bill Jelen
If you grew up reading MAD magazine, you will appreciate this loving tribute to Bill Gaines, written by Dick DeBartolo, MAD's Maddest Writer.
Mike Jensen
Entertaining book about the author's career as a writer for Mad magazine with many stories about other people who worked there.
Tim Decker
A personal approach by Dick de Bartolo. great to read his memories of working at one the greatest cartoon magazines ever created!
owen
great history on mad magazine since its inception in the 50s. william gaines, the founder, was a great guy.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Chris Khodadadian
Chris Khodadadian marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Vesa
Vesa added it
Jan 14, 2014
Philip  Brett
Philip Brett is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Keith
Keith added it
Jun 23, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mad-Vertising A Mad Look at Old Movies The Return Of A 'Mad' Look At Old Movies A Mad Guide To Leisure Time The Mad Guide To Self Improvement