Start by marking “Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit: Profiles in Character” as Want to Read:
Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit: Profiles in Character

Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit: Profiles in Character (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  588 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews

Paul's life was never dull. First appearing in the New Testament as a violent enemy of Christ, Paul later went on to not only put his faith in the risen Lord but to pen thirteen letters of the New Testament--in the midst of being beaten, shipwrecked, snakebitten, imprisoned, and chased out of town. Let Charles Swindoll be your guide as you travel down the road to Damascus

Published February 1st 2002 by W Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul

Brandy
Apr 11, 2008 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Great Lives series. They are awesome and I use them as devotional and study materials. This was by far the best. I learned so much by digging into this book, this man Paul who is just a great hero of the bible. I loved how once Jesus called to him, he transformed his life, and Paul never looked back, never waivered. He was literally on fire for God the rest of his life and endured so much to further the cause of Christ. I was so surprised with how this book touched me and it was the p ...more
David Harris
Jun 09, 2016 David Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the sixth character study by Chuck Swindoll in his Great Lives Series. Biblical biographies are different from other biographies in that the Bible-reading Christian has already been familiarized with the primary source. A good Bible-based biography, then, will not necessarily provide tons of new information, but help you reflect on what's already there. This book hit the mark pretty well. Swindoll examined seasons of Paul's life and reflected on how we can imitate the apostle. Very help ...more
Grant Davis
Tried three times to get interested in this book. The book seemed more interested in being subjective on the different aspects of Paul rather than being objective. It seemed as if Swindoll had a book he wanted to write and used Paul's life to support his claims...rather than actually writing a book about Paul. I made it a little over halfway through the book before I returned it.
Pamela Hubbard
Swindoll is an excellent communicator. In this character study on the life of Paul, Swindoll dives into the history of Paul's life and journeys, but also gives personal and ministerial applications from his life. While the book does seem a little more geared towards those in ministry, there are still many things that most people can relate to and take away from the book.
Thabu Pienaar
Since I've come to know Charles Swindoll through my all-time favourite book, Grace Awakening, I never hesitated to pick up a book from this writer. When I saw he wrote a kind of autobiography of Paul, the grace-teacher, I grabbed it.

I love the teachings of the Apostle Paul and I thought I knew most of them. How preposterous of me? As I studied this wonderful book of Charles Swindoll, so much more has opened up for me about the life, principles, convictions to be learned from the Apostle Paul's l
Paul Vasquez
Sep 25, 2013 Paul Vasquez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot, the name says it all! :) I thought his one on David is his best work so far.
Geoff
Oct 13, 2015 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Paul waited about three years in 'desert' (Damascus? I forget) before he began his ministry. Interesting.

-Paul certainly stuck to it after so many setbacks that I know would deter me and question God's directing. An example of sticking with God through hard times and when circumstances are less than ideal, to put it nicely. This is how he also learned contentment.

-In aw about Paul after reading this book. What an example. No wonder God allowed him to write so many books in the Bible.
James B
Jan 24, 2014 James B rated it it was amazing
I can see people being easily turned away from this book due to it's old fashioned book cover, aged yellow page, tiny font, relative thick size (relative because I realize all the new nooks are rarely larger than 200 pages). However, it painted a vivid journey of Paul's life as if I was his close companion. The book thoroughly convinced me of "imitate me as I imitated Christ". The last chapter almost brought me to tears as we approached the end of His life. I can't find better words to describe ...more
Clara Roberts
Nov 23, 2009 Clara Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was moved when I read this book. Swindoll writes that life is ten percent what happens to us and ninety percent how we respond to it. Drawing from Paul's life Swindoll say that we must stay on the subject_Christ, speak the truth without fear, start where our audience is and surrender the results to God. We are reminded that Paul had an attitude of unselish humility and an attitude of joyful acceptance. This combined with an attitude of strong determination and of genuine thanksgiving made Paul ...more
Rhonda
Jan 06, 2011 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
When I picked up this book, I expected it to be a historical biography of Paul, one that would offer more background and insight into his life and travels than the Bible alone. While Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit did that to an extent, I would say it's more a Bible study for those in full-time ministry (I'm not) who are facing challenges, supplemented with a bit of biographical information. The book focuses on Paul's faith in God's grace and promises throughout his life, even when faced with inc ...more
Joe
Jun 15, 2009 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have devoted 2009 the year I explore the life and times of Paul of Tarsus. A devoted Pharisee in the Jewish tradition, he literally hunts down, arrests, and someimes officiates over the execution of the followers of "The Way", the earliest group of followers of Jesus of Nazareth. Charles Swindoll has always been a favorite of mine. This book IS "preachy", not very "historical" but in tune with Swindoll's evangelical bent. It's easy reading, and truth be told, much to ponder as Swindoll explore ...more
Matt Anderson
I used to listen to a lot of Chuck Swindoll podcasts, and around that time I picked up this book. I read some of it, and learned some interesting things about Paul, but I didn't find that the book went very deep. I felt like I was reading transcripts of Swindoll's messages on Paul. He typically preaches long series on his book topics, so I wouldn't be surprised if he preached these chapters word for word. To be fair, I didn't actually finish the book because I wasn't that into it, and I gave my ...more
Meliza
Dec 25, 2011 Meliza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paulus, seorang yang penuh kasih karunia dan tegar. Buku ini diceritakan dengan sangat baik oleh Charles Swindoll. Beliau menceritakan perjalanan Paulus hingga akhir hayatnya. Tak hanya di situ, Swindoll pun kerap menceritakan pengalaman pribadi dan orang-orang sekitarnya. Saya suka membaca buku karangan Swindoll, narasinya mudah dimengerti dan tetap mengacu kepada Kebenaran Firman Tuhan.

Paulus adalah sosok yang patut diteladani kasih, ketegaran, iman dan kesetiaannya bagi Kristus. Salah satu qu
Virgo
Pretty good, he pointed out some things I'd never thought about, which is always good when reading this type of book.
Jason Henry
Wonderful book and study on the life of Paul. It really makes you consider the other aspects of Paul that you don't really hear many people bring up. He suffered greatly because God used him greatly. This book makes you look past the surface of people and things and how God can bring it all to a definitive and glorious end. A wonderful read in my opinion.
Danielle
Dec 04, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent most of the year reading this book a chapter at a time for my bible study. It was a really engaging look at Paul's life and his contribution to Christianity. I really enjoyed it and found it be a good foundation for discussion in our group. There were any number of times while reading the book that the chapter we were focusing on completely related to something someone in our group was going through at that particular time. I think it would be a good read just on it's own, but if you're ...more
Jt
Made me fall in love with Paul even more
Katie
Sep 04, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This whole series by Charles Swindoll-- Great Lives from God's Word-- is amazing. I've read seven, but Paul is my favorite. Paul endured so much to tell the Gospel that completely transformed his life, but his story is often overlooked when we read Scripture since we're more focused on his message. Swindoll takes the time to give great insight into the man who penned almost half of the New Testament. (Also in the series are David, Esther, Joseph, Moses, Elijah, Job, and of course, Jesus.)
Eliel
Aug 26, 2015 Eliel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look into the life of one of the great Disciples of Jesus who lived his convictions.
Jen
Aug 11, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Richard Foster writes wordes that penetrate: 'Superficiality is the curse of our age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people.' ... A life marked by depth can only be cultivated in protracted periods of time spent in solitude, quietness, and obscurity ..." Hmmmmm. Deep.
Lori
May 17, 2016 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been fascinated with Paul's transformation from Saul of Tarsus to the man who would later become a martyr. I love how Charles Swindoll compares Saul's life to modern day times and trials we all may currently be enduring, including his own experiences as a Pastor. His writing flows effortlessly and I come away with much more Biblical knowledge of Paul than I could have imagined.
Joel
Oct 30, 2012 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swindoll-stanley
It took along time to finish this book.Work and other daily things made it a long time to finish. Great scripture verses that I like to look up and study while I read. Mr. Swindoll gives you a good read with the info that he had in the book. It makes you feel for Paul towards the end of his life. There are some other books he has wrote that look like they would be a good read.
Jonathan
Charles Swindoll ueses the narrative of acts to weave a biography of the apostle Paul. I appriciated his presentation of Paul as an ordinary man that through God's leading experienced an extrodinary life. Swindoll not only pulls life lessons directly from Paul's experience but also draws from his own many years of experience as a pastor.
Jaison Abraham
Jun 25, 2015 Jaison Abraham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Swindoll's writing style is very easy to follow, and though Paul is a figure that looms large in the Biblical account, he does a good job of making him relatable. As with any good character study, it makes you think and leads you to apply what Paul learned in following after Christ to your own life.
Christine
Oct 17, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think life isn't fair at times? Whatever we go through is peanuts compared to Paul's life. Paul did everything he knew was right and ended up beat up, in jail, and eventually murdered for his faith. I bet if we could ask him if he had any regrets, he'd say he was honored to live and die that way.
Zapy80
Mar 28, 2008 Zapy80 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masi-pending-t_t
bukunya bagus sih

T_T tapi belon selese dibaca, akire skrg baca yg laen... T_T

lagian, bukunya taktinggal di Surabaya.
ntar aja ah kalo buku2 disini dah abis, aku ke pulang dan mengambili semua bukuku.huehehehe

gbu
Lisa
Mar 12, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought I'd be able to relate to Paul as I read his teachings in the Bible. However this book helped me see Paul in a different light and I found great comfort during different difficulties in I faced.
Abby
Sep 02, 2015 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bravo, Mr Swindoll. You managed to insult and alienate your reader within the confines of a single chapter.Also, you should find new editors. It's disgraceful to publish something with so many grammatical errors.
Jay
Apr 14, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul was a great man. He lived a life of passionate devotion to the cause of Christ. In this latest book by Swindoll, you will gain new respect for the life Paul lived and the sacrifice he made for the call of Christ.
Darren Sapp
Aug 27, 2014 Darren Sapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. The author sometimes dips into narrative which is speculative, and the reader doesn't know where that begins and ends. It doesn't change the greatness of this book about this story about Paul.
  • The Name
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • The Great House of God
  • Living Water: Powerful Teachings from the International Bestselling Author of The Heavenly Man
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • My Heart's Cry
  • Eternal Security
  • The Book of the Acts
  • Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen  (The Swans Are Not Silent, #4)
  • Weigh Down Diet
  • Storm Warning
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Sermon on the Mount: An Evangelical Exposition of Matthew 5–7
  • Romans
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering some Old Testament Characters (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 8)
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All