Start by marking “Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom” as Want to Read:
Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom

Happy Are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom

Book annotation not available for this title.
Title: Happy Are You Poor
Author: Dubay, Thomas
Publisher: Ignatius Pr
Publication Date: 2002/12/01
Number of Pages: 200
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress: 2002105232
Published December 1st 2002 by Ignatius Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Are You Poor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Are You Poor

Benjamin
Dec 10, 2007 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
this will go down as one of the best, if not the best, books on the spiritual life i've ever encountered. on a macro level, most of the text meditates on how the reader should actually take its title completely seriously. and then it talks about how ridiculous that sounds and how un-modern it would be to live a sharing-sparing life in devoted spiritual poverty. on a micro level, fr. dubay shows the insides and outs of what this call of radicality is and who it's for as he unpacks such loaded Chr ...more
Anna Elissa
This book is utterly different from any other works on spiritual life. The topic of Gospel poverty is one that very few touch upon. If at all discussed, it is usually in an abstract, somewhat hesitating and light manner. But this book, well, it's radical. Read with the proper disposition of heart, it will open your eyes and transform you. It's like a painful yet loving and much deserved slap. I'm truly grateful that a friend of mine bought me this. For me personally, Fr. Dubay confirms so many i ...more
Oldbluebus
Feb 15, 2008 Oldbluebus rated it it was amazing
Read many times; "simple" and "poor" don't mean what one might think at first glance.
Nick Shelton
Sep 08, 2016 Nick Shelton rated it it was amazing
I got this book from my diocese and because of that I wasn't expecting much at first-- I was horribly mistaken. This was the most spiritually challenging book I have read in a long time. I truly think it might be a book that chances my life. It portrays beautiful and effectively the Christian life as a life of poverty.
I don't think I have felt this guilty since I've read Imitation of Christ.
Jonmarc Grodi
Dec 03, 2012 Jonmarc Grodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Simply a must-read if you are in fact serious about taking the Christian life more seriously. Provocative and challenging in the nature of the message and yet careful, balanced, precise, and forthright, the late, great Fr. Thomas Dubay takes the issue head-on: does the Gospel call Christians to a simple, frugal life or not?

Few books have so challenged and convicted me in my complacency and none have left me more concretely motivated to become a more perfect imitation of Christ.

(Note - endure wit
Kent
Mar 10, 2016 Kent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholicism
This is a short, but dense read. Fr. Dubay takes a serious look at the Gospel message of poverty and how it applies to all of us. He examines the meaning of the message, the motivations for following it, and what true poverty vs. destitution means. He then specifically examines poverty with regard to each vocation; single, married, and religious. I highly recommend this as a sobering reflection on what poverty really means and how it can enrich your life.
Wanda
Apr 22, 2009 Wanda rated it it was amazing
This is my second reading and I'm actually getting something out of it this time. I think it scared me too much the first time around! Ok, I'm still scared, but at least I'm still reading too, lol.
Harrison
Oct 07, 2010 Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
An excellent argument for downwards mobility. Father Dubay is a powerful, if a bit overwhelming writer.
Diana
Aug 16, 2010 Diana rated it liked it
The concepts in this book were not new to me, being that I enjoy reading about the social justice aspect of voluntary simplicity, but it was excellent for me to review them from a gospel perspective. The book was successful in that it inspired me to action, and I enjoyed the take a long, hard look types of questions in the Examen chapter. However, I must say that the book emphasized more the POOR part and less the HAPPY part. I think the chapter on JOY should have come first instead of last (and ...more
James Andersen
This book is indeed a must read, it gives a fair account of what True Gospel Poverty is about. Indeed many people today, possess an understanding of the Poor Christ as one that is not necessarily True, this untrue abstraction then is used to criticize those who possess the authority to Preach the Gospel and try to point out imagined inconsistencies rooted in their flawed understanding rather than in an honest appraisal of True Gospel Poverty.

This book does a fine job, both explaining what Gospe
Hater Shepard
Jun 15, 2008 Hater Shepard rated it it was amazing
Dubay throws down the gauntlet.

His most important demand of the reader is that he pray while reading. No easy answers, no recipes/formulas, each chapter is just solid scripture references and encouragment from saints' lives.

I can't follow him completely on the saint stuff, but it's no great distraction for us short-sleeve loose-leaf out-to-lunch disestablished hairy eyeball schismatics.
Robin
Jul 12, 2008 Robin added it
Excellent presentation on the Church's teaching about living a simple life, and the spiritual freedom that comes with that. Fr. Dubay sweeps away the misconception that living a simple life is meant for the religious/consecrated laity. This teaching is not just for the religious, it's meant for everyone. This book will definitely change how you look at, and live, your life.
Christina Grace
Jun 21, 2016 Christina Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Warning: don't read this book unless you're ready to do a serious examination of conscience regarding your embrace (or lack thereof) of the evangelical counsel of poverty. It's written for lay, clergy, and religious, and Fr. Dubay does not mince words about what it means to deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow Jesus.
Emily
Mar 10, 2014 Emily rated it liked it
It's challenging, that's for sure. I found a lot of good food for thought in this book, and I'm going to try to implement SOME of his ideas....although the part about wearing clothes multiple days in a row is not gonna happen, most likely. My co-workers might not be too thrilled with that. :)
Thomas
Jan 12, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it
This is one of the most thought provoking and challenging spiritual reads in a long time. Fr. Dubay offers a compelling argument why the world needs, and the Gospel calls for, Jesus' followers to live a sparing-sharing lifestyle as authentic prophetic witnesses for our King and His Kingdom.
Meg
Dec 04, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing
The first two chapters were more difficult to get into in part due to their philosophically heavy nature and in part due to their step-by-step logical breakdown of terminology, definitions, and personally applied or inferred connotations.
The remainder of this book is a gift of prayerful consideration of Gospel poverty in the reader's walk of life (single, we'd, or religious). With examples from the lives of the saints and constant references to the New Testament, Father allows you to consider an
Theresa
Dec 14, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Makes a strong case that we should all be making a great effort to take better care of the poor, sharing what we have, as Jesus asked us to do.
The book itself starts off slow, but keep with it. It gets much better and much more readable as it goes along. I found it quite compelling.
Andrea
Oct 16, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book made me think about every thing that I have and whether or not I truly need it. I hope to reread this book every other year to help keep myself in check.
Carrie
May 13, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I need to remember this book and go back to it time and time again as a reminder of what is important. Detachment and humility should be my watchwords.
Maria
Nov 18, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
The book was effective in that I now want to be poor. It had lots of challenging points that stick around after you complete it.
Michelle
Dec 11, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book but not an easy read. One to be read and re-read, notebook and pen nearby.
Andrew
Jan 11, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenging, not in the reading, but in the implications for life. Great book.
RF
Mar 06, 2009 RF rated it liked it
recommended by our spiritual director
Nathan
May 13, 2014 Nathan added it
I found Dubay's vision for evangelical poverty to be both challenging and beautiful. The specific application to different states of life (married, celibate) is particularly helpful and often absent from similar works. Furthermore, I appreciate his willingness to allow for levels of radicality for living out this call without simply blunting the edges of this challenge. However, his highest achievement was to make me long for what he described despite the fact that to live as he describes requir ...more
Melissa Monette
I wish I could give this a higher rating but because it took me literally, 100 pages out of less than 180 to start enjoying it, I just simply can't. The end was really great and raised some very good points about how we as humans grasp for anything to fill holes or to mask places in ourselves that are too difficult to address. That chapter was beautiful.
SiSApis
Jan 23, 2016 SiSApis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All those serious about living the Gospel in spirit and in truth.
Concise, clear, and CHALLENGING. Very inspirational, in this run-up to Lent. Not for the faint of heart, though. Father Dubay pulls no punches and the faithful Christian of the plenteous West will find plenty of conviction of falling far short of our call here, as well as encouragement to step up to the challenge.
Elyse83
Apr 04, 2015 Elyse83 rated it really liked it
Full of practical insight and human examples. I am considering the simple life.:)
Patricia Pryor
Mar 22, 2015 Patricia Pryor rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I like the way Thomas Dubay thinks.
Eleanor
Jan 03, 2015 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
This book will change your life.
Ann
May 13, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
My third time reading this...by far the best book about money that a Christian can read.
  • Finding God's Will for You
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • This Tremendous Lover
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • To Know Christ Jesus
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • The Glories of Mary
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Eucharistic Miracles: And Eucharistic Phenomenon in the Lives of the Saints
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon: Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Pierced by a Sword
Father Thomas Dubay, S.M., was a well-known retreat master and expert in the spiritual life.

A Marist Priest, Father took a Ph.D. from Catholic University of America and taught at major seminary level for about fifteen years. He spent the last three decades giving retreats and writing books (over twenty at last count) on various aspects of the spiritual life.

He is an expert on the teachings and w
More about Thomas Dubay...

“The value of negative things derives, must derive, from something positive, something they make possible.” 2 likes
“The worldling will not face his colossal inner blah.” 1 likes