Start by marking “Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector” as Want to Read:
Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector

Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector (Korgi #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  312 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The Cosmic Collector is the second volume in the critically acclaimed, all-ages graphic novel series, Korgi. In this volume, things are not going too well in Korgi Hollow. While a mysterious hunter has trapped and clipped the wings off of many mollies, Ivy and Sprout search for answers in the surrounding woods... but they may be facing something that is totally out of this ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Korgi, Book 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Korgi, Book 2

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Jul 12, 2013 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it it was amazing
A wonderful second volume in this charming series of wordless fantasy stories that follow the Molly, Ivy and her Korgi, Sprout in their various adventures. This time, they deal with a nasty cephalopod-headed thing that is trying to capture various woodland creatures and add them or their wings to its collection. The art is detailed and lively, the storyline easy to follow and the monsters remind of the best art from the old Fighting Fantasy books. Timeless stuff, extremely cute, but not just cut ...more
Brad
Aug 21, 2015 Brad rated it it was ok
I found Book 2 much more to my liking. I preferred the world of Book 2 much more: Book 1 was a fairy tale with gnomes and ogres, while Book 2 is more like George Lucas. (For anyone wondering, enjoyment of Book 2 did not require familiarity with Book 1.)

The structure of Book 2 is superior. The plot is more involved, requiring more heroic action from the protagonists than in Book 1. (view spoiler)

I also preferr
karenbee
May 03, 2015 karenbee rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I liked The Cosmic Collector better than Slade's first Korgi book, maybe because I liked the plot better. The antagonist is creepy! The action is more interesting in this chapter, too.

And of course everything (except the creepy villain) is just as adorable as it was in the first book.
Kate McDevitt
Mar 12, 2016 Kate McDevitt rated it really liked it
I read book 1 ages, ago, so when I saw book 2 at the library, I snagged it. These authors have an amazing gift of telling an adorable, cute, dramatic story without words. Ivy, a girl with wings, and her dog Sprout, must go in search of a mysterious hunter who is stealing people's wings. With some help of friends, they manage to take down the collector in an exciting, otherworldly fight scene. But Ivy finds a mysterious clue that might mean something more. Still, they save Korgi Hollow for the mo ...more
Angie
Mar 03, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Synopsis: "The Cosmic Collector is the second volume in the critically acclaimed, all-ages graphic novel series, Korgi. In this volume, things are not going too well in Korgi Hollow. While a mysterious hunter has trapped and clipped the wings off of many mollies, Ivy and Sprout search for answers in the surrounding woods... but they may be facing something that is totally out of this world!"

Review: I really adore this little series of graphic novels. It is nearly wordless, there is just a brief
Kereesa
Dec 01, 2015 Kereesa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
I think I will give the third volume of this a try, but I'm still sticking with my original thoughts on this series: it would be better as a cartoon short than a gn.

Also is it just me or does it feel like the Korgi/corgi element to this story is to draw you in to its cuteness factor? Which admittedly worked on me... but yeah.
Virginia
Mar 09, 2014 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
So good! Black 7 scares me, as he's supposed to, and Ivy and Sprout and the others make me feel hopeful:) An excellent series:) There are 2 illustrations in particular that stand out to me: one where Sprout is sleeping and it feels very like 101 dalmatians, in the expression captured and the quality of drawing, and another when Ivy has a perfect look of determination on her face:)
Cathy
May 23, 2016 Cathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cute, and as a dog-loving child I probably would have loved it. That being said, I think it misses something. It just didn't grab my attention. The illustrations are good and the corgi cute, but that's not enough.
S.N. Arly
If you read* book one and enjoyed it, you should consider finding book 2. For reasons unknown to me, it is out of print and tough to find (unlike books 1 and 3), so be sure to try second hand places. The danger and adventure really builds in this book, as we see Ivy and Sprout help not only themselves but many others in their community. Again, the art is wonderful.

The content may be a little too scary to really young kids, but as all kids are different your mileage may vary. My 6 and 9 year old
Matej
Nov 12, 2015 Matej rated it really liked it
Another fun and cute volume of Korgi.
I have read these books out of order, but I still managed to enjoy them.
Target audience is younger readers, anyone who loves unique and cute art, and anyone who loves animals, so if you fit in any of those categories you should pick it up.
Teresa Scherping
Another nearly-wordless story with adorable Korgis and some mild dramatic tension.
Andria
Jun 08, 2015 Andria rated it really liked it
Excellent drawings
Zachary Rawlins
Oct 14, 2011 Zachary Rawlins rated it really liked it
Wow, this one starts off surprisingly dark. I was actually a little worried for the first third, until our plucky heroine and her adorable sidekick intervened. Again, this is so much better than you might think - it's not just cute, and it resembles Bone in the best possible way. Even though this one is a little darker than the last, I still think it makes an excellent all ages book, and another triumph for the dialogue less graphic novel. Christian Slade is really impressive.
Melissa
Mar 07, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melissa by: Matthew D'agostino
Again, a picture really is worth a thousand words! And with a whole book of just pictures it can be a very epic tale indeed! I just can't say enough about how wonderful the illustrations are. In this story, Ivy and Corgi meet an alien with a crew of robots, who, while very cool, is not their best friend. Adventure! I especially like how this book fully told its own story while building off of details established in the first one. Can't wait for number three!
Marcia
Jan 11, 2010 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: graphic novels, fantasy, dogs
This was an imaginative graphic novel. It is set in a magical woodland where little hobbit-like folks ride around on Welsh Corgi's. This story focuses on a misguided alien and his stash of robots who goe around shooting off the magical fairies' wings. Never fear, Corgis to the rescue! Definite appeal to: dog lovers, graphic novel lovers (the illustrations are remarkable) young fans of Lord of the Rings. and fantasy lovers in general.
Patti
Jan 22, 2014 Patti rated it it was amazing
Love these books!
Peacegal
Oct 06, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it
The charming illustrations are an absolute delight.

However, unless the Korgis' world is populated by only naturally stub-tailed specimens, I do wish the artist would have let her corgis keep their beautiful, foxlike tails.
Lara
Mar 06, 2012 Lara rated it really liked it
Oh no, someone's stealing Mollie wings! After Ivy becomes one of the victims, she and Sprout work to track down the culprit. Just as delightful as the first volume, but this one feels like it has a little more depth and a little more darkness to it. Beautiful work, Christian Slade!
Rachel
Aug 17, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A sci-fi element is added to the next chapter in the Korgi saga. Once again friendship, and being helpful proves her essential it is to the survival of these fairies. Just like the first, there are no words, but the pencil-drawn and shaded art is of the highest calibre.
Betsy
Jan 04, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: I enjoyed this more than the previous Korgi graphic novel, probably because the alien collector was so out-and-out WEIRD that it bumped the book up from "normal and sweet" to "omigod what the heck is going on?????".
Justyn Rampa
Jun 16, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it really liked it
This is TERRIFYING!!!

And awesome, but mostly terrifying!

This shouldn't definitely be older kids or incredibly brave toddlers.

It is incredible how much of a narrative can be established with just illustrations.
Kate
Jan 13, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lucia Duncan
Shelves: graphicnovels
I enjoyed the science-fiction/fantasy combination of this volume. Nothing like an alien and his (her?) robot army invading the land of sweet fairies and fire-breathing corgis. Can't wait for the next installment.
Kaethe
I don't know what the alien was doing, stripping wings from the mollies (vicious and childish, ick), but the alien was seriously creepy and made a nice foil for the adorable korgis.

Library copy
dejah_thoris
Dec 22, 2013 dejah_thoris rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A wonderful little book about a mollie girl and her magical korgi. Anyone can read it because it's all pictures lovingly drawn by Slade.
Inge
Apr 10, 2009 Inge rated it really liked it
Oh, this was so beautiful and wonderful and adorable and the best book about fire-breathing dogs, winged girls, aliens, gnomes, sea monsters, and robots I have read all year.
Chriss
This is a great story. What makes it really good and fresh is that there is NO dialogue, NO text; the story is told entirely through sequential illustrations.
Alice
Aug 18, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing

I still think Korgie Book 2 is more than amazing!!
I just think all of the illustrations are so cool! I have a Corgie so I'm so excited!!!
readmuchrunfar
May 24, 2011 readmuchrunfar rated it it was amazing
The illustrations simply could not be any more delightful. And I already have a soft spot for corgis, since we had one for a pet as I grew up.
Anna
ONly pictures lets student create words on their own. 3-4 grade. give to students in a group and let them make up the script to the story.
Amanda
Dec 07, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another lovely volume with artwork perhaps even better than the first. The detail is wonderful and the characters are so expressive.
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #2)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Heavenly Nostrils, #3)
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef: Book 1
  • Scary Godmother: Omnibus
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
As a boy growing up in New Jersey, Christian Slade carried his sketchbook everywhere he went. It was said that he sometimes lived in another world, and it was this other world within the pages of his sketchbook that inspired him to draw from his imagination and the world around him. After thirty years, not much has changed. A former Disney animator and currently a full-time freelance illustrator, ...more
More about Christian Slade...

Korgi (3 books)