Start by marking “Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect” as Want to Read:
Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect

Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Turning our culture's "Sex in the City" worldview completely upside down, "Revelations of a Single Woman" celebrates God's enticing, life-giving promises, even when life takes you down a path you didn't plan for. Connally Gilliam explores what it means to live in a world for which her mother never could have prepared her. Through this collection of thoughtful, honest, and ...more
Published December 26th 2005 by SaltRiver

To ask other readers questions about Revelations of a Single Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revelations of a Single Woman

Now and Not Yet by Jennifer A. MarshallThrive by Lina AbuJamraThey Were Single Too by David M. HoffeditzDid I Kiss Marriage Goodbye? by Carolyn McCulleyTruth, Lies, and the Single Woman by Allison K. Flexer
Books on Singleness
14th out of 21 books — 4 voters
Truth, Lies, and the Single Woman by Allison K. FlexerThe Four Loves by C.S. LewisRevelations of a Single Woman by Connally GilliamDating & Waiting by William P. RiskThe Jane Austen Guide to Happily Ever After by Elizabeth Kantor
Good books for Christian single gals
3rd out of 6 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon
Sep 22, 2007 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my fellow unclaimed treasures!
This is written by an awesome gal who goes to The Falls Church...my former stomping ground in NOVA. I'd recommend this to all my fellow females struggling w/ their singlehood...but especially for those of us who've been at this longer! I even recommended it to a former boyfriend (still a dear friend) b/c it has such a succinct, clear depiction of a woman's heart and even some really useful advice about healthy relationships and boundaries. Highly applicable and an honest, funny, inspiring read.
Leslie
This is one of the best nonfiction just-life books I've read in a while, and I can't think of one that touches my experience of this season of life more accurately. I love it and recommend it to anyone (guys included, although I don't know if they'd all be brave enough to read something with such a girly cover!) I also appreciate that it's just plain well-written, unlike a lot of books out there in the "Christian" sphere - the author studied and taught English, so that probably helps. :)
Stephanie
Reading this book was like sitting down to coffee with an older sister - one who could share some wisdom through her been-there, done that stories. Although Gilliam focuses on the challenges faced by unintentionally single women in our culture, she shares practical counsel for anyone who finds themselves in a "life they didn't expect".

Gilliam does not shy away from some of the more gritty struggles that single women encounter - she addresses everything from stress in mother-daughter relationship
Debbie
This is not a book I normally would have picked up, because as a single woman, I know all about being a single woman so why do I want to read about someone else being a single woman? But I was in a little bookstore, and this book jumped out at me. Some of the chapter titles were intriguing: "Men - Who Needs Them?" and "So, Why Aren't You Married?" I liked the few passages I read at random, and I liked the author bio. Gilliam, as of the time of printing, is a single woman in her late 30s who work ...more
Natalie Wickham
A friend mentioned this book to me several years ago after hearing the author on a radio program. I made a mental note of it, but didn’t pursue it because I usually try to avoid reading books on singleness and relationships. Basically, I’d rather focus on other things than my relationship status, as I find that the latter tends to be more depressing than helpful. However, another friend gave me a copy of this book recently, thinking I might appreciate it as a single young woman, so I decided to ...more
Brenda
Thank you, Connally Gilliam, for this book about the struggles of "later," unintentional single life. I've never seen or heard some of these topics addressed before. The chapter about fragmentation, especially, filled me with relief that this is A Thing and not my own personal neurosis - she defines it so much better than I've been able to thus far. While her tone can be a little prim, I really admire her honesty, insightfulness, and refusal to place herself above her readers. If you want to und ...more
Robin
Inspiring but "churchy." Geared toward women who have never been married yet full of insights for ethical single women who have been married and would like to marry again--even in a society that caters less and less to the values that sustain a good marriage. The writer's blatant heterosexism is somewhat disturbing, but I think all books invite readers to take what they can use and leave the rest alone. I recommend this book for any person of faith coming to terms with and learning to enjoy bein ...more
readersis
It was like a draught of cold lake Erie breeze after the stuffy stench of downtown Cleveland. I bought "Revelations of a Single Woman" at Goodwill only because the author – whom I’d never heard of – was a “life coach” for the Navigators. I have a lot of respect for the Navigators organization so I figured, hey, it’s got to be worth at least 75 cents. It was – if not for the impeccable literary consciousness with which she writes, then for the profound insight she has into living life as a single ...more
Anne
Reading this book was like having coffee with a good friend. I picked this book up at random at my sister's house and was caught by Connally's candid description of the ups and downs of the single life--mixed with plenty of humor, common sense, and Biblical wisdom. This isn't the end-all, be-all book on singleness. (As if such a title even exists!) But I would highly recommend it for anyone who's found that their "season of singleness" is lasting a little longer than they planned. :)
Sara
A friend asked me to read this to see if I would recommend it to other people. I would not. It is depressing and not very inspiring. It was her journey of accepting the fact she was single(like it it is the worst thing in the world). I want to just hug her, tell her to relax, stay productive, and enjoy being single while it last.
Kathy
This was written for 30-40 somethings and for women who have never been married (neither groups do I qualify for) but I gleaned some inspiration. I would recommend it to my daughter, or any other woman who falls within the target groups. It would be good for a group discussion as well.
Anna
Oh. My. Goodness.

Relate-able. Genuine. Funny. Touching.

Made me laugh, cry, and just go, "YES THAT IS MY LIFE."

Needed the encouragement and the insight this book had to offer, and I will be purchasing it to re-read and absorb.
Kristen
This book is honest, refreshing, vulnerable and witty. I loved how Connaly breaks down all the unchartered territory single women of the 21st century have to traverse. I highly recommend it to all single gals and their loved ones!
Amanda
The best book about singleness (and life) I've read yet. Incredibly fresh and real and talking about spiritual things in an honest way instead of overspiritualizing as some books have a tendency to do. I definitely recommend it!!
Lorenrae
I typically totally roll my eyes at books like this, but it's wonderful! I especially reccomend this book to anyone who loves a sigle adult gal... It will really help you understand how to love her well.
Danielle
Much better than I anticipated. I think I thought this was going to be a deny your desire for relationship kind of book, but it's turning out to be just stories from her life, which I've loved so far!
Dorothy
Witty and uncomplaining, this wise woman's observations span topics of familial relationships to learning to love community in what ways God gives us. I thoroughly appreciate her perspective!
Kim
I heard this woman speak two or three years ago and she spoke about singleness in a way that resonated with my experiences. A good book for marrieds and singles alike.
Sara
Best book on being a single woman that I've read - by far. I would recommend it - and have - to any of my single friends, or those trying to understand singles. :)
Jamie
Mar 29, 2007 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any single Christian woman
This is a great book about the single life. It is candid, honest, and open. I recommend it to any single woman in their 20s or 30s. I'm re-reading it!
Travelinaunt
Jul 08, 2007 Travelinaunt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all women
are you single? do you know single women? were you ever single? do you wish you were single? you should read this! it's one of the best books i've ever read!
Bonnie
Found that this was written more for the woman who has never married which is not my case. Would have liked more Scripture.
Christina
GREAT book! Made me laugh. I could really relate, and couldn't put it down. Great for the single Christian woman.
Lisa Shum
Excellent resource on singleness. Good for all singles and people who love them.
Rebekah
She hits a lot of things spot on, but at times it did seem a bit too preachy for me.
Luann Habecker
a MUST READ! i have yet to find anything else out there like this! THANK YOU!
Maria
I skimmed through this book but it wasn't what I expected or wanted it to be...
Angela
A refreshing take on singleness.
Sep 27, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Rebekah Fairbank
For the most part, she pegs it.
Megan
From Brenda
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance through Their Stories
  • Why Jesus?: Rediscovering His Truth in an Age of  Mass Marketed Spirituality
  • Power Evangelism
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion and Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence
  • The Tricky Part: One Boy's Fall from Trespass into Grace
  • What Paul Really Said About Women: The Apostle's Liberating Views on Equality in Marriage, Leadership, and Love
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • The Trouble with Angels
  • Penguins and Golden Calves: Icons and Idols in Antarctica and Other Unexpected Places
  • Christians at the Border: Immigration, the Church, and the Bible
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
  • The True History of the Elephant Man
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • The Book That Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization
  • God Calling