Start by marking “Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect” as Want to Read:
Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect

Revelations of a Single Woman: Loving the Life I Didn't Expect

Turning our culture's Sex in the City worldview completely upside down, Revelations of a Single Woman celebrates God's enticing, life-giving promises, even when life takes you down a path you didn't plan for. Connally Gilliam explores what it means to live in a world for which her mother never could have prepared her. Through this collection of thoughtful, honest, and humo ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by SaltRiver (first published December 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Revelations of a Single Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revelations of a Single Woman

Shannon
Sep 22, 2007 Shannon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all my fellow unclaimed treasures!
This is written by an awesome gal who goes to The Falls Church...my former stomping ground in NOVA. I'd recommend this to all my fellow females struggling w/ their singlehood...but especially for those of us who've been at this longer! I even recommended it to a former boyfriend (still a dear friend) b/c it has such a succinct, clear depiction of a woman's heart and even some really useful advice about healthy relationships and boundaries. Highly applicable and an honest, funny, inspiring read.
Leslie
Aug 26, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
This is one of the best nonfiction just-life books I've read in a while, and I can't think of one that touches my experience of this season of life more accurately. I love it and recommend it to anyone (guys included, although I don't know if they'd all be brave enough to read something with such a girly cover!) I also appreciate that it's just plain well-written, unlike a lot of books out there in the "Christian" sphere - the author studied and taught English, so that probably helps. :)
Debbie
Aug 20, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is not a book I normally would have picked up, because as a single woman, I know all about being a single woman so why do I want to read about someone else being a single woman? But I was in a little bookstore, and this book jumped out at me. Some of the chapter titles were intriguing: "Men - Who Needs Them?" and "So, Why Aren't You Married?" I liked the few passages I read at random, and I liked the author bio. Gilliam, as of the time of printing, is a single woman in her late 30s who work ...more
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like sitting down to coffee with an older sister - one who could share some wisdom through her been-there, done that stories. Although Gilliam focuses on the challenges faced by unintentionally single women in our culture, she shares practical counsel for anyone who finds themselves in a "life they didn't expect".

Gilliam does not shy away from some of the more gritty struggles that single women encounter - she addresses everything from stress in mother-daughter relationship
Natalie Wickham
A friend mentioned this book to me several years ago after hearing the author on a radio program. I made a mental note of it, but didn’t pursue it because I usually try to avoid reading books on singleness and relationships. Basically, I’d rather focus on other things than my relationship status, as I find that the latter tends to be more depressing than helpful. However, another friend gave me a copy of this book recently, thinking I might appreciate it as a single young woman, so I decided to ...more
readersis
Jan 27, 2014 readersis rated it it was amazing
It was like a draught of cold lake Erie breeze after the stuffy stench of downtown Cleveland. I bought "Revelations of a Single Woman" at Goodwill only because the author – whom I’d never heard of – was a “life coach” for the Navigators. I have a lot of respect for the Navigators organization so I figured, hey, it’s got to be worth at least 75 cents. It was – if not for the impeccable literary consciousness with which she writes, then for the profound insight she has into living life as a single ...more
Robin
Feb 04, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Inspiring but "churchy." Geared toward women who have never been married yet full of insights for ethical single women who have been married and would like to marry again--even in a society that caters less and less to the values that sustain a good marriage. The writer's blatant heterosexism is somewhat disturbing, but I think all books invite readers to take what they can use and leave the rest alone. I recommend this book for any person of faith coming to terms with and learning to enjoy bein ...more
Brenda
Jan 13, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: singleness
Thank you, Connally Gilliam, for this book about the struggles of "later," unintentional single life. I've never seen or heard some of these topics addressed before. The chapter about fragmentation, especially, filled me with relief that this is A Thing and not my own personal neurosis - she defines it so much better than I've been able to thus far. While her tone can be a little prim, I really admire her honesty, insightfulness, and refusal to place herself above her readers. If you want to und ...more
Anna Josephine
Aug 27, 2015 Anna Josephine rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Read it right now. Connally Gilliam helped cure me of my antagonism towards relationship books (and Christian relationship books). . Definitely a lot of "me toos" and "at last somebody who gets it!" and even a few "aha!s". Lots of good stories and analogies [the dixie cups one was my favorite]. She writes from "our generation" and talks honestly about all the pain and humor and weirdness and depth of single life as a millennial-ish.
Anne
Jan 01, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
Reading this book was like having coffee with a good friend. I picked this book up at random at my sister's house and was caught by Connally's candid description of the ups and downs of the single life--mixed with plenty of humor, common sense, and Biblical wisdom. This isn't the end-all, be-all book on singleness. (As if such a title even exists!) But I would highly recommend it for anyone who's found that their "season of singleness" is lasting a little longer than they planned. :)
Sara
Feb 06, 2013 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, religous
A friend asked me to read this to see if I would recommend it to other people. I would not. It is depressing and not very inspiring. It was her journey of accepting the fact she was single(like it it is the worst thing in the world). I want to just hug her, tell her to relax, stay productive, and enjoy being single while it last.
Danielle
Feb 19, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
Much better than I anticipated. I think I thought this was going to be a deny your desire for relationship kind of book, but it's turning out to be just stories from her life, which I've loved so far!
Lorenrae
Jul 31, 2008 Lorenrae rated it it was amazing
I typically totally roll my eyes at books like this, but it's wonderful! I especially reccomend this book to anyone who loves a sigle adult gal... It will really help you understand how to love her well.
Amanda
Jun 14, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
The best book about singleness (and life) I've read yet. Incredibly fresh and real and talking about spiritual things in an honest way instead of overspiritualizing as some books have a tendency to do. I definitely recommend it!!
Anna
Feb 01, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness.

Relate-able. Genuine. Funny. Touching.

Made me laugh, cry, and just go, "YES THAT IS MY LIFE."

Needed the encouragement and the insight this book had to offer, and I will be purchasing it to re-read and absorb.
Kathy
Jun 17, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
This was written for 30-40 somethings and for women who have never been married (neither groups do I qualify for) but I gleaned some inspiration. I would recommend it to my daughter, or any other woman who falls within the target groups. It would be good for a group discussion as well.
Kristen
Jan 10, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This book is honest, refreshing, vulnerable and witty. I loved how Connaly breaks down all the unchartered territory single women of the 21st century have to traverse. I highly recommend it to all single gals and their loved ones!
Rebecca Wattier
Feb 21, 2015 Rebecca Wattier rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Really enjoyed this. Humorous, kept me laughing, but lots of real life truth too. Made me reflect and soul search a bit as well. Will be recommending.
Tiffany
Apr 24, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
THE most realistic, genuine book on singleness I've ever read (and I've read a lot of them) from an ACTUAL single woman in her late 30's.
Rebekah
Oct 05, 2008 Rebekah rated it really liked it
She hits a lot of things spot on, but at times it did seem a bit too preachy for me.
Alexis
Jun 14, 2016 Alexis rated it really liked it
Everything was great about this book except for Gilliam's outdated analyzation of lesbian relationships. Maybe if there's a future edition she will hopefully rethink that chapter.
Luann Habecker
Jul 27, 2011 Luann Habecker rated it really liked it
a MUST READ! i have yet to find anything else out there like this! THANK YOU!
Kim
Feb 28, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I heard this woman speak two or three years ago and she spoke about singleness in a way that resonated with my experiences. A good book for marrieds and singles alike.
Sara
Jan 17, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Best book on being a single woman that I've read - by far. I would recommend it - and have - to any of my single friends, or those trying to understand singles. :)
Jamie
Mar 29, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any single Christian woman
This is a great book about the single life. It is candid, honest, and open. I recommend it to any single woman in their 20s or 30s. I'm re-reading it!
Lisa Shum
Nov 19, 2008 Lisa Shum rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource on singleness. Good for all singles and people who love them.
Dorothy
Aug 10, 2008 Dorothy rated it really liked it
Witty and uncomplaining, this wise woman's observations span topics of familial relationships to learning to love community in what ways God gives us. I thoroughly appreciate her perspective!
Maria
Oct 06, 2008 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I skimmed through this book but it wasn't what I expected or wanted it to be...
Angela
Mar 20, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
A refreshing take on singleness.
Sep 27, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Rebekah Fairbank
For the most part, she pegs it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • You Are Not What You Weigh: End Your War With Food and Discover Your True Value
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • My Incredibly Wonderful, Miserable Life: An Anti-Memoir
  • Power Evangelism
  • Lost Women of the Bible: Finding Strength & Significance through Their Stories
  • The Humiliation of the Word
  • By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me
  • Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Christians at the Border: Immigration, the Church, and the Bible
  • Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage Our Multicultural World
  • The Tricky Part: One Boy's Fall from Trespass into Grace
  • What Paul Really Said About Women: The Apostle's Liberating Views on Equality in Marriage, Leadership, and Love
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • Penguins and Golden Calves: Icons and Idols in Antarctica and Other Unexpected Places
  • Bold Love