Start by marking “Winning Chess Strategies” as Want to Read:
Winning Chess Strategies

Winning Chess Strategies

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A complete overview of proven chess principles that teaches players how to deploy their pieces using the right moves at the right time to build small advantages into effective, long range strategies.
Published June 1st 2003 by Everyman Chess (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Chess Strategies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Chess Strategies

Abner Rosenweig
Seirawan is a master--or should I say grandmaster?--at making difficult chess concepts accessible to the amateur. His books are always a pleasure to work through. WCS provides a clear discussion of what chess strategy is, then dives into multiple ways to accumulate and maintain strategic advantages throughout a game (material, stopping counterplay, using the pieces, pawn structure, targets, space, how to attack, faulty plans). Many amateur players are tactical fiends and don't appreciate positio ...more
Aaron
This was an interesting publication, as it is Microsoft Press; meaning that it was first put together on Word. Let me first say that there is an error on page 246 (there's a funny joke about publishers who thought they published an error-less book - they got the title wrong). Some manuals do not "give a King's point count as 3 1/2". Some manuals give a Knight's point count as 3 1/2.

This was the first serious chess book I have read through, and let me tell you, I got my analysis board good and br
Steve
I love attacking and mixing it up, but after spending a few weeks with this and adopting a more defensive posture at the board, I find that not only have I not lost in several weeks, but I'm now handily beating people I used to consider my equals (or, in a couple of cases, my betters.)
Ian Mullet
Yasser Seirawan:
"Hundreds of thousands of books have been written about chess. What can you hope to learn from this one? With all due modesty, a lot.... In this book, I show you chess as a science.

ps if you're in austin come to chess night at the carver library!

pps we'll be switching to thursday nights after new year's.
Jorge Fecklesson
Another comprehensive chess book. I am just too lazy to stick with it front to back. I'm a roamer throughout many chess books.
William Herbst
I found this volume of the series to drag quite a bit. Not sure that reading this helped my game in any respect.
Mingo Johnson
This was one of my first book I read in the series and now I have greater understanding to the game of chess.
Robert Isaac Akin
Aight. I didn't find it as informative as his other books.
Swapnil Bokade
A great book if you seriously want to improve your game.
Tony
A good overview of chess strategy.
Carlos Eduardo
Carlos Eduardo marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Teeeneck
Teeeneck marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Emmanuel
Emmanuel marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Abdulla0alhamed
Abdulla0alhamed marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Ben
Ben added it
Apr 05, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Randall Summers
Randall Summers marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Robintb
Robintb is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
  • How to Reassess Your Chess: The Complete Chess-Mastery Course
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • My System
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • The Art of Attack in Chess
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
  • Life & Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Chess Openings: Traps And Zaps
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • The Chess Artist: Genius, Obsession, and the World's Oldest Game
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953
  • Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess
  • Think Like A Grandmaster
  • Lasker's Manual of Chess
  • Ideas Behind the Chess Openings: Algebraic Edition
Winning Chess Tactics, revised Play Winning Chess Winning Chess Openings Winning Chess Endings Winning Chess Brilliancies