Start by marking “Bone Key (John Deal #7)” as Want to Read:
Bone Key (John Deal #7)

Bone Key (John Deal #7)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Reviewers nationwide have joined such writers as Elmore Leonard, Tony Hillerman, and Stephen King in praising Standiford's John Deal novels-but his new Deal may be the best one yet.

On a trip to Key West to talk with a wealthy developer about a new building project, Deal stops to help a young black man who is being rousted by police on a lonely beach road. The young man i
Published April 15th 2002 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Bone Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Key

MontiLee Stormer
Nov 11, 2010 MontiLee Stormer added it
Shelves: audio
Another book read by one of my favorite narrators, Scott Brick *purrrrr*, downloaded back in December of 2005 when I was drunk with Audible credits. I think some books you just have to be in a frame of mind to listen to, and maybe now is the time for Les Standiford.

3/26/10

I'm three hours (5 hours to go) into this audio book, and I'm afraid I've bailed. I'm finding it to be the driest mystery I've ever read and I just don't care what happens to anyone anymore. I expect more to be happening right
Meredith
May 01, 2014 Meredith rated it liked it
dream sequences didn't make any sense as this was the first novel of his I read. Kind of throws the reader off. It picked up toward the end and the pieces got tied up into a neat little bow.
Marjoladue
Feb 07, 2014 Marjoladue rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Obviously written a while ago. The scenes in Key West were from the past and fun to read about. A good plot.
Jennifer H
Aug 29, 2012 Jennifer H rated it liked it
3.5

This was a fun read - another one of those south Florida macho men solving mysteries down in the Keys kind of books. For me, it was just long enough and had just enough going on to be a good book. The author disclaimed at the beginning that he was going to take literary license with the layout of Key West, and he did - I was glad he said that, otherwise I would have thought I'd completely misremembered the island. =)
David
May 18, 2014 David rated it liked it
Bone Key (John Deal #7) by Les Standiford (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2002)(Fiction - Mystery/ Thriller). John Deal tries to solve a mystery where a young black man was killed apparently while in police custody. Nobody will help - and Deal keeps hearing allusions to a seventy year old mystery - and implications that he should know about it. My rating: 6/10, finished 2009.
Sandi
This is a series I have always enjoyed in the past but this particular entry was just so so. I was disapointed that one of my favorite supporting characters did not appear on the page and the current day plot was not really that compelling though I did enjoy the sections on Key West's history.
Tom
Dec 07, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patt
Jul 10, 2013 Patt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Listened to this one in the car. We both enjoyed it, fast moving and suspenseful. We both guessed wrong on the identity of the criminal!
Pabloslist
70 yrs after freighter goes down in FL Keys with 300 cs of Chateau Brian , single bottle sparks torture, piracy, murder
P.G. Lengsfelder
P.G. Lengsfelder is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Chelene
Chelene rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Eric Vanorsdale
Eric Vanorsdale marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Karla Bledsoe
Karla Bledsoe marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Niki
Niki added it
Jan 23, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 18, 2016
Mark Cooney
Mark Cooney marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
David Wooddell
David Wooddell rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Ken Christie
Ken Christie rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
E J
E J added it
Oct 23, 2015
Tim Blake
Tim Blake marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Ann
Ann added it
Sep 30, 2015
Ann Clark
Ann Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Les Standiford is a historian and author and has since 1985 been the Director of the Florida International University Creative Writing Program. Standiford has been awarded the Frank O'Connor Award for Short Fiction, a Florida Individual Artist Fellowship in Fiction, and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction, and belongs to the Associated Writing Programs, Mystery Writers of Ameri ...more
More about Les Standiford...

John Deal (8 books)
  • Done Deal (John Deal #1)
  • Raw Deal (John Deal #2)
  • Deal to Die For (John Deal #3)
  • Deal on Ice (John Deal #4)
  • Presidential Deal (John Deal #5)
  • Deal with the Dead (John Deal #6)
  • Havana Run (John Deal #8)