Bone Key (John Deal #7)

Bone Key (John Deal #7)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Reviewers nationwide have joined such writers as Elmore Leonard, Tony Hillerman, and Stephen King in praising Standiford's John Deal novels-but his new Deal may be the best one yet.

On a trip to Key West to talk with a wealthy developer about a new building project, Deal stops to help a young black man who is being rousted by police on a lonely beach road. The young man i...more
Published April 15th 2002 by Putnam Adult

MontiLee Stormer
Nov 11, 2010 MontiLee Stormer added it
Shelves: audio
Another book read by one of my favorite narrators, Scott Brick *purrrrr*, downloaded back in December of 2005 when I was drunk with Audible credits. I think some books you just have to be in a frame of mind to listen to, and maybe now is the time for Les Standiford.

3/26/10

I'm three hours (5 hours to go) into this audio book, and I'm afraid I've bailed. I'm finding it to be the driest mystery I've ever read and I just don't care what happens to anyone anymore. I expect more to be happening right...more
Meredith
dream sequences didn't make any sense as this was the first novel of his I read. Kind of throws the reader off. It picked up toward the end and the pieces got tied up into a neat little bow.
Marjoladue
Very entertaining. Obviously written a while ago. The scenes in Key West were from the past and fun to read about. A good plot.
Jennifer H
3.5

This was a fun read - another one of those south Florida macho men solving mysteries down in the Keys kind of books. For me, it was just long enough and had just enough going on to be a good book. The author disclaimed at the beginning that he was going to take literary license with the layout of Key West, and he did - I was glad he said that, otherwise I would have thought I'd completely misremembered the island. =)
David Ward
Bone Key (John Deal #7) by Les Standiford (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2002)(Fiction - Mystery/ Thriller). John Deal tries to solve a mystery where a young black man was killed apparently while in police custody. Nobody will help - and Deal keeps hearing allusions to a seventy year old mystery - and implications that he should know about it. My rating: 6/10, finished 2009.
Sandi
This is a series I have always enjoyed in the past but this particular entry was just so so. I was disapointed that one of my favorite supporting characters did not appear on the page and the current day plot was not really that compelling though I did enjoy the sections on Key West's history.
Tom
Patt
Listened to this one in the car. We both enjoyed it, fast moving and suspenseful. We both guessed wrong on the identity of the criminal!
Pabloslist
70 yrs after freighter goes down in FL Keys with 300 cs of Chateau Brian , single bottle sparks torture, piracy, murder
Teresa Lange
Teresa Lange marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Tom Meek
Tom Meek marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Nrax
Nrax marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Linds
Linds marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Marci Stone
Marci Stone marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Paul
Paul added it
Jul 17, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Lori
Lori added it
Mar 10, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Feb 18, 2013
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Les Standiford is a historian and author and has since 1985 been the Director of the Florida International University Creative Writing Program. Standiford has been awarded the Frank O'Connor Award for Short Fiction, a Florida Individual Artist Fellowship in Fiction, and a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Fiction, and belongs to the Associated Writing Programs, Mystery Writers of Ameri...more
More about Les Standiford...
Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad that Crossed an Ocean Meet You in Hell: Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, and the Bitter Partnership That Changed America The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits Washington Burning: How a Frenchman's Vision for Our Nation's Capital Survived Congress, the Founding Fathers, and the Invading British Army