Start by marking “Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889” as Want to Read:
Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889

Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 (The Royal Diaries)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  2,420 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In their hope to restore Hawaii¹s toppled monarchy�and the Hawaiian way of life�the people of Hawaii turn to Princess Kaiulani, who is only a young girl. Acclaimed author Ellen Emerson White makes her debut on the Royal Diaries list with this compelling narrative of the tumultuous years following Hawaii¹s forced annexation to the United States, skillfully rendering the voi ...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Kaiulani, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaiulani

Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyEleanor by Kristiana Gregory
The Royal Diaries
12th out of 20 books — 230 voters
Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
51st out of 173 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Jinny (SkyInk.net)
Another Royal Diaries read for me! The Royal Diaries books can be a hit or miss since they all have different authors; I’m happy to report that this one is definitely a hit, for me. This one is on Kaiulani, the last princess of Hawaii. I had no idea Hawaii used to have a monarchy, so this book was very interesting and a big eye opener for me. I don’t know much about Hawaii, I never even been there before, so this book has been the most educational experience for me.

Fourteen year old Kaiulani is
Kelsey Hanson
This book was really good, but had a very somber ending. You know going in that Hawaii is ultimately going to get annexed by the United States (it's one of the 50 states after all), but Kaiulani, who seems to be a very dedicated leader who strives to do what is best for her people, has such hope of restoring the monarchy. It's very sad to read the epilogue (I have noticed that many of the books in these series focus on the bright spots of these girls' tragic lives). Still it was very interesting ...more
Amalie
I found this book very interesting and enjoyable despite its sad end. This book was my door-opener to the history of Hawaii. I found the history of this monarchy is fascinating. The book is about the life of Hawaii's last princess, Victoria Kaiulani.

When she was 13, her world is shattered when she is forced to go to school in England. She becomes more accepting towards her fate as time goes by, yet she still misses her beloved Hawaii. The story starts in the year 1889 and continues till 1893 in
For some reason I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps it was Kaiulani's friendship with Mr Stevenson. Perhaps it was her love of books or animals. But most likely it was due to this particular entry:

March 6, 1889

"This afternoon, Annie and Miss Reiseberg and I went to a matinee at the Opera House to see The Pirates of Penzance, by Gilbert and Sullivan. Going to the theater is always a treat, although the best even I have ever attended was actually the circus.

The Pirate King was very debonair, but t
Jen
Aug 10, 2014 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
Picked up this book while browsing the young readers with my daughter. Perhaps it was the gold on the pages outside of the book or the fact that I lived in Hawai'i that drew me to this particular book. Hawaiian studies was a class that was taught in high school, but because I was from the mainland and more 'haole' than a local, Hawaiiana was never a subject that interested me. Even visiting I'olani Palace, trying to understand the royal Hawaiian family still did not 'get me'.

After reading this
Carrie Slager
After reading The People’s Princess, Kaiulani has definitely joined the ranks of my favourite women in The Royal Diaries. She’s strong, smart and actually has situational awareness, something many other princesses in the series seem to lack. Not only that, but there are actually reasons for Ellen Emerson White’s decision to make the narrative cover 4 years. Covering 4 years in a little over 200 pages is difficult, but the novel never jumps around and you know what is going on.

Kaiulani is an incr
Nancy Bandusky
Robin
It was a good book as all the books in this series. My daughter was the one who borrowed it and I wanted to see what the authors take of Kaiulani was. She was young when she died. It is a sad story, she was friends with Robert Louis Stevenson who wrote Treasure Island. I think he wrote a poem for the princess as well.
Rachel Jackson
I felt like Kaiulani: The People's Princess was book with a single track on a record player, skipping over and over again: "Hawaii. Hawaii. Hawaii." Kaiulani was so obsessed with going home and so obsessed with nostalgia that it threw me off and I didn't really care to come back for more.

The story is of the Hawaiian Princess Kaiulani, who is sent to England for education, but during her time overseas, her country completely falls apart and she feels the need to go home and try to repair things.
Jill
I don't know why this was so different from Ellen E. White's Titanic story, but this one really stinks. It was so dull I couldn't even finish it. *yawwwwwn* Don't read it unless your CD player broke, can't play you a lullaby and you need something to put you to sleep. This'll do it, I swear.
Jeli
Twas a fast and light read. Not my favorite of the series (Cleopatra's will always hold a special place in my heart) but it fueled my fascination with Hawaii. Kaiulani's an interesting character, I liked the book enough to finish it within a day. :)
Mary Bronson
Kimberley
Not one of my favourites. But I guess that's cos I don't know much about Hawaii.
Jessica Price
I learned SO much from this book. First off, I'm obsessed with Hawaii, so I absolutely loved it. My boyfriend and I have already decided we will be taking our honeymoon there!
Hawaii started off as a monarchy, and Victoria Kaiulani was third in line to the throne, after her uncle and aunt died. At this time, the U.S. thought that Hawaii was filled with savages and heathens so their main objective was to capture it for themselves and take over. Of course, the true Hawaiians, or Kamaaina's, just w
Carlyn Brody
This book is a fictional diary of the last princess of Hawaii Victoria Kaiulani (1875-1899). I knew that Hawaii once had a monarchy but I didn’t know the circumstances to why it dissolved or when Hawaii became a state of America. So I learnt a little bit about Hawaiian history from this book.

The diary starts from 1889 when Kaiulani is 13 years old and ends in 1893 when she is 17. The book is about when she was educated in England. She was the heir to throne as her uncle, King David Kalakaua did
Rebecca
Born to privilege in 1875 as the daughter of King Kalakau of Hawaii's youngest sister Miriam Likelike and her Scottish husband, Archibald Cleghorn, Princess Victoria Kaiulani Cleghorn enjoyed a luxurious childhood. But her life has not been without sorrow - Kaiulani suffered the tragic loss of her young mother when she was just eleven. Second in line to inherit the throne, Kaiulani is sent to England at the age of thirteen to be educated. Even though it is her duty as an heir to the throne, Kaiu ...more
Paige [eastIndies.]
I've had this book sitting on my shelf since I was a little girl. I'm not really sure why I never finished reading it, but I thought, after finishing Alan Brennert's "Moloka'i," the time was right to give "Kaiulani" another try.

Ellen Emerson White's "Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889" is a tale following the life of a princess that could have been queen. This story, told in the form of Kaiulani's diary, is rich with historical facts and interspersed with both real and fictional char
Ana Mardoll
Kaiulain, The People's Princess / 0-439-12909-5

This Princess Diary presents a fascinating view of American imperialism, and is a sad and touching commentary on the life of Hawaii's last princess.

While away at school in England, Kaiulani is horrified to learn that her grandfather the king has passed away, and her aunt has been deposed as the rightful queen by the American investors that are determined to annex Hawaii (by force) to the United States. These investors, having already forced the king
Libby Wellman
This book is really good. It is just so sad though. I literally cried at the end. If you haven't finished but decided to stop then you've made a really bad choice. Give it a chance and you'll end up really liking it. And if you don't, then at least you didn't judge it by its cover.
Gigi Anderson
The story of Kaiulani is a tragic one and many times I wanted to cry. This princess shows you the difference between European princesses and the princesses of North America.
Shelly
One of my favorite books back in middle school, part of the Royal Diaries series.
Jess
I found this book incredibly interesting because this book was based on a real person, yet the story was told in the first person rather than the second person. It was kind of like an autobiography. You could see her as a young woman, rather than on the outside looking in as a future royal. Highly recommend it for any girl her age, in the preteen to teen age group. It can really put things in perspective in believing in yourself and what you're capable of in life.
Cara
Was not a fan. The book wasn't engaging and it was very depressing to read. I know that she was ill and experienced a lot of loss, but this just wasn't a good way to portray her life. I question writing about her. It was terrible what the United States did to Hawaii and its people, but I still couldn't make myself finish the book. I read the epilogue, historical note and the pictures at the end of the book. That was the best part of the book.
Rachel (Sfogs)
This book was very good but also very sad.

This is from the Epilogue, Page 212;

"...on August 12,1898, Hawaii was finally and officially annexed to the United States. The Hawaiian national anthem was played for the final time, and then the Hawaiian flag was removed from its proud spot atop Iolani Palace, with the American flag raised in its place.
Hawaii would never be independent again, and all of her people wept that day."

Jacqueline
Even though this was a fictional extrapolation and written in the very realistic but slightly cringe-worthy style of a teen girl's diary (especially at first), I really liked this book. It was very informative about the history and society of Hawaii, and really made me empathize with Princess Kaiulani. Her bravery, her honesty, and her sense of propriety made me admire her and want to learn more.
Shannon Renee
I've lost count of how many of this series I've read. This one was a little different. It has large gaps, which I undersatnd, but its a little odd to read. The monarchy ends before she rules, so that was new for me in the series. The high point was the relationship with Robert Louis Stevenson, but that ends so aburptly with out another word about him. Its just sad.

Beth (MrsGinTN)
This book was fairly interesting. The middle bogged down some, but the ending was actually the most interesting part of the book. I really liked that the author included a synopsis of Hawaii's history in the time period to wrap up the book. I think it probably is a great book for kids, but it was just okay with me.

FBC: Book about and set in Hawaii
Human
I am fascinated by Hawaiian history, and I thought the book was very good. It shows how hard the Hawaiian people really tried to save their islands. It is a very interesting story.
Lisa
I am 49 and I love unabashedly breezing through this children's series between other more serious books. Some are better written than others and this happens to be one of them. I enjoy the sense of history and time present in these simple accounts. I pick up historical factoids along the way. What's not to like?
Patrice
I never knew how unethical and recent America's hostile take over of Hawaii was until I read this book. Kaiulani's passionate efforts to win her country back for the sake of her people, futile as it was in the face of American prejudice and preference for its own business interests, was deeply moving.
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595
  • Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, 1653
  • Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalia de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi
This talented writer attended Tufts University (and published her first book, "Friends for Life," while a senior there) and currently lives in New York City. Ms. White grew up in Narragansett, Rhode Island. Many of her fiction novels feature characters who reside in or around Boston and are fans of the Boston Red Sox (as is Ms. White). In addition to fiction novels, Ms. White has published several ...more
More about Ellen Emerson White...
Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady, R.M.S. Titanic, 1912 Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty (Dear America) The President's Daughter  (The President's Daughter, #1) Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4) Long Live the Queen (The President's Daughter, #3)

“I think it is better to know the worst, rather than trying to imagine it.” 9 likes